Is Open-World PvP going to come back in any form?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Inmyprime, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChurchThug New Member

What class would you be? Is he a Predator or Rogue class? It's not as black and white as you make it out to be. In regards to the full-group ganks, it happens - take a few with you, if you can't escape. Wizards and Warlocks also have a form of evac if I remember correctly.
  2. BulletCatcher66 Active Member

This guys knows.

You just said its not so black and white, and here you are describing it as such. Its cool though. EQ2 pvp was like how Ummmyeh described it. Literally. I been there on the PvP servers when they first released. Its a toxic environment where no one squares off. Its gank or get ganked. Then the level locking twinks start to appear and snuff out anyone attempting to start a fresh toon on a PvP server. People don't want to square off as one delusional player put it. People want to rick roll others, collect tokens, and repeat it.

What was the best was all the literal wails and cries for city guards to not intervene in city ganking.... err...PvP. The l33t PvPers wanted the freedom to roam into a city unchallenged and start killing players without the guards defending their hometown. People and their entitled elitest attitudes with stupid titles and tokens ruined the pvp. Deathtoll had whole "L33t" guilds go exile then farm fame off each other on the EL docks every 30min. LOLOLOLOL. PvP in this game was a joke, and toxic players made it that much worse.

Deny it all you want. It is what it is, and PvP is dead in this game. Go play a PvP game.
    Ruallin Ebonhammer likes this.
  3. Durzo New Member

It's a shame. EQ2 PvP always had its problems, but it was still great fun

Some of the best times I've ever had on a video game was taking part in PvP on EQ2.
  4. ChurchThug New Member

I'm not denying PvP was 'broken' or 'imbalanced'. I'm denying the fact that your experience is everyone elses. Just because you got ganked to hell doesn't mean everyone else experienced the same thing. I had a blast PvPing, it just sounds like you're jaded by negative experiences. I hope you don't do the same thing in real life, otherwise people may mistake you for being a calloused *** ;)

Haha same. It was the first PvP experience I had since EQ2 was my first MMO ever. Re-working the PvP system to where it could work without interfering with everything else is possible. I just think some of the players are PvE biased. Like, what would go wrong with implementing PvP (a newer version)? Didn't they say the game was dying anyways? What could go wrong? Lmao y'all anti-PvPers are hilarious
  5. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

beastlords were a hard "NO" and the word was banned on the forums... and yet here they are in all their glory.

The Battlegrounds were great, I don't know why they quit maintaining it. Ganak and Smuggler's Den were the best.
    ChurchThug likes this.
  6. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

disagree.
  7. Feldon Well-Known Member

I suggested players help with Itemization. It was as if I had insulted and offended all the developers and their families going back ten generations. Never suggest that players can have input into the design process of EQ2. The devs are artists and we could not possibly fathom what they are creating.
    Prissetta, Alenna, Atan and 1 other person like this.
  8. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

Your entire rant lost all merit, when you claimed exiles were killing each other for fame.....exiles receive no update from other exiles, maybe it helps their kda, but other than they get absolute nothing for killing another exiled. It's impossible.
    ChurchThug likes this.
  9. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

You can get banned from their discord for pointing out mistakes, no matter how constructive. They are thin skinned.
    Snikkety, Mizgamer62 and Feldon like this.
  10. ChurchThug New Member

The thing about BGs were that they took away from the population in the Open World. They were chill tho, I prefer Open World PvP, but everyone has their thing.

Well that's not the greatest thing to hear when some of us are trying to get them to re-implement PvP haha
  11. BulletCatcher66 Active Member

Were you there? On the docks in EL watching them fight each other? I was literally on the docks watching them do it. And confirmed with a prominent forum member that they did farm each other. However they explained it as every 30 min they would fight one another for the challenge sine no one else was around. It was an excuse to abuse the infamy system. A system that contributed to the bell hugging and toxic play style of EQ2 pvp. No one wants to fight. they want to rick roll groups for infamy.

Say what you want. PvP aint here. Its not like im saying these things and PvP is still around. No. Its ont around because of toxic players and toxic environment. People dont want to sub and play in that. So they didnt. No money to justify keeping PvP around. Hence. pvp is dead for ever now. Because of toxic players.
    Snikkety likes this.
  12. Satyr Well-Known Member

Exiles could not earn fame off each other. You are a liar. Par for the course with these threads.
  13. Sinhika Well-Known Member

Most software devs are idiots who think they are much cleverer than they really are. Justificiation: I am and have been a software dev for over 30 years, mostly as a maintenance programmer cleaning up after clever idiots. I've also learned, with age, to admit when I do something stupid and just fix it.
    Prissetta likes this.
  14. Sinhika Well-Known Member

Like I said before, this has happened in nearly every open PvP game I have heard of. It's always the toxic players that drive out the good ones.
    BulletCatcher66 likes this.
  15. ChurchThug New Member

Why is that then allowed? Should there not be checks and balances in place to assure the "good ones" aren't taken advantage of?
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

(1) EQ2 wasn't designed from the start with PVP in mind. It will take EQNext or a whole new game, designed from the ground up, to have reasonable PVP. It just didn't work very well as an afterthought add-on to the base game.

(2) Drunder is a big step towards dealing with toxic players. However, a while back, Ars Technica published a really interesting article about how League of Legends was dealing with toxic players, which I think really had some promise:

Dennis Scimeca. "Using Science to Reform Toxic Player Behavior in League of Legends". Ars Technica (May 2013). https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/using-science-to-reform-toxic-player-behavior-in-league-of-legends/

Gamasutra covered the same League of Legends Tribunal system in more depth.

Extra Credit created a video discussing not only online harassment in games, but also ways that game companies can reduce toxic behavior. Main points:
    • Players should call toxic abusive players on their bull poop. Remaining silent gives tacit approval of the behavior. If someone uses a racial slur, or expresses homophobia ("That's so [any offensive slang term for LGBT]!"), or indulges in misogyny ("Make me a sammitch"), call them on it and explain that it is unacceptable.
    • Game companies should limit toxic players to only communicating with people who have them on their friends list. Games automatically collect metrics, and this is a process that could be automated: if a person gets a bunch of /petitions turned in for abusive behavior, they should automatically be "muted", placed on /ignore for every player who does not choose to have the toxic player on their friend list. Extra Credit suggests automatically triggering this on people whom 10% of the player population have placed on /ignore.
    • Make toxic behavior negatively impact guild reputation or level. That would allow peer pressure to impact the haters.
    Prissetta likes this.
  17. ChurchThug New Member

F*****g amazing. So forward thinking wow... I don't know how Extra Credit came up with this system, but it sounds beautiful. For real. Imagine not having to deal with toxicity, holy s*** the gaming experience would be so much more pleasurable.

In regards to your first point, I see what you're saying actually. But to scrap it as a whole is quite drastic. Was the system that bad? Especially considering most of the PvPers were paying members. The toxicity has to go though. It really drives players away, but what you said was correct - we need to call them out on their bs when they're demeaning others.
  18. Satyr Well-Known Member

I'm really getting bored of people saying that. It's nonsense. Deathtoll died because the devs stuffed up TLE in KoS and segregated factions meant the population took a higher dive than Stormhold. Anything else is just nonsense. EQ2 PVP appealed to a certain group of players because it did mix PVE and PVP, arena based PVP games do not appeal to a lot of old school MMO players.
    ChurchThug likes this.
  19. BulletCatcher66 Active Member

Its like you think you're the sole authority on the matter. Exiles can farm people for fame. Could farm their alt or other guidie buddies. Say what you want. Ill agree that exiles can get fame off one another, but it doesn't mean they were farming fame off of exiles and non exiles. I watched them do it on the docks Ardur already admitted to it. Shhhhh.

You're wrong about Deathtoll. It died because of scum bags. If because the Devs stuffed up TLE in KoS, then why didnt stormhold die too? Just because of the split factions on PvP... thats not true. Those special type of players that EQ2 PvP appealed to knew what it was like. they already experienced it (for the most part) back on Naggy / Venekor.

Again, if it was the Devs fault (most people favorite complaint) why didn't stormhold die? It wasnt from content. it was from a toxic and ugly environment filled with tosic ugly players who didnt want PvP. they want to rick roll people for fame and meaningless titles.

The less hardcore / ePeen driven players choose to not participate anymore. They didnt wanna get their level 17 toon camped by some no life super twink. Or the constant disgusting and toxic language always thrown around. Whose bright idea was it to have cross faction communication on Deathtoll? So those people (the majority of the population) left. They took their moneyand left. if PvP was so glorious and great as you explained with all your SME details and insider knowledge, if EQ2 pvp was good, then why isnt it around? It cuz not enough people think its good. Youre a minority trying to argue for ugly play styles. just let it go. .
    Dude likes this.
  20. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

I don't think some of them can fathom what they're creating either.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.