Opinions on monks?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Dephisis, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Dephisis New Member

What advice you guys got for a noob about monks?
    Cheers guys
  2. Raff Well-Known Member

Fun solo toon. But hard to get groups with unless you want to be the tank.
  3. Lil Mantis Member

Now you tell me! LOL. I played a monk in EQ1 so I'm partial to the "monk" class.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  4. Dephisis New Member

Heh, would it not fall into DPS? I played a brief character untill like lv 20 then i forgot about the game for like 3 years and want to get back into it.
  5. Nero Active Member

Im biased, but they are amazing tanks. They can also bring some very respectable DPS to the table is played by the right person. There are certainly tanks that can out-DPS us, but honestly all of that will depend on the person playing and how you decide to gear.

As for advice: read over your temps and know what they do. Develop a solid rotation that will allow you to stay up extended periods of time. The class arguably has one of the best temp rotations in game.

Dont be a turtle. Mit is great but it doesnt do anyone any good if you cant hold aggro. That will be come into play as you progress into current content. Keep reminding yourself that hate management is a group ordeal, and is not solely up to you, however, dont expect to hold on to be holding on to anything is you are severely under geared.
    Dephisis likes this.
  6. Revanu Well-Known Member

step one on being a monk - betray to bruiser. Step 2- win the game
    Earar and Malleria like this.
  7. Revanu Well-Known Member

j/k :D
    Dephisis likes this.
  8. Dephisis New Member

lel, Thanks Nero, i dont really get it all but im sure ill understand as i progress through the game and play with cool people.
  9. Billzbub Active Member

I agree with everything said so far.
    If you play a monk and want to group, you will be expected to tank, even if you do wonderful DPS.

Your temp rotation (which is a casting order for your temporary abilities that keep you alive like stone skins) is your bread and butter, so make sure you know what you are doing there. If this doesn't sound like fun, you may want to try a different class. There may be other EQ2 classes that fit your "monk" play style better, like maybe brigand or swashbuckler.

When you get to current content, get yourself a set of Twark gear (armor, jewelry, and weapons) , prioritizing potency over everything else unless you can get mitigation at a very small cost in potency. You will come across gear as you adventure that has both high potency and mitigation.

You'll have to do some research to see how current monks are doing their AA specs. You can really **** or help our character based on your AA choices, but respeccing is free and easy so its no biggy doing it wrong as long as you fix it.
  10. Ansom Active Member

pff, monk is much better... we have better gym, better trainer, a decent union support..

Monk can be setup in several way, depend in you like only solo, grp, easy raid or end game raid (T3/T4).
  11. Dephisis New Member

Hmm, yeah thanks, i dont think tanking is really my thing, i was looking into bards and healers too. Thanks for the advice.
  12. Pitta Active Member

I have seen monks top sustained RW dps parses. They are absolutely insane.
    Dephisis likes this.
  13. Raff Well-Known Member

You can dps with a Monk. Then you'll need to find the guild that will let 2 tanks run with groups. The new content is hard enough as it is without adding another tank to compete for agro with the main tank. Some guilds allow it...a lot of them do not. But for LFG, you'll likely be expected to tank if you are a monk.
  14. Nero Active Member

Subtle strikes, dps stance, and you're GTG! Never have to worry about ripping aggro as a tank.
  15. Nero Active Member

I 100% believe you, although I imagine this wasn't your MT, if it was i need to hang it up and go play another game.

The new Epic 2.0 has been helping significantly in certain fights.
  16. Earar Well-Known Member

not ripping aggro but some buffs from coercer or bard force mobs to target tanks in the group ... so with bad luck can be the dps tank :).

but tanking is cool :). frightening at first .. but really fun and you see the game in a whole different way.

healer too .. but just because you mostly only look at the health bars :)

but in the end it depends of your playstyle .. if u wanna group but don't want to tank ... better play monk. Because even if you are allowed to "dps" ... you need to put a lot more effort into it than other dps
    but if u prefer to solo, then monk is awesome. can go everywhere with def stance, feigh death and solo heal.
  17. Billzbub Active Member

Earar, that's true. Bruisers and Monks are fun to molo because they can survive, do damage, and feign death when things go pear-shaped.
  18. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Both are very correct. I play a SK as AoE DPS. My guild supports this as we are about what it fun for us. So, yes, I go on our Heroic groups and we have fun with 2 tanks in the group. I only steal agro when I use my aoes (I have one that hits ALL mobs in area) so if tank hasn't hit them, I will get agro, but not for long! Is my dps the best? No. Do I have fun? Yes. Am I at the bottom of the dps charts? No. Not on trash or bosses. And so we win and I have fun which is win/win for me!

Just find a guild that will support you and have a blast tanking or DPSing according to your mood.

Good luck! And know that there are players that do encourage you!
  19. Akoriv Member

I've seen you talk playing as AoE dps a lot in the forums. I spec, gear, and run as a tank, so I'm curious if you set up as DPS just what kind of DPS numbers do you actually put out, both AoE & single target, and what zones do you get those numbers in? For me, my parses vary pretty widely depending on the zone with all the difference in scripting levels and probably, combat mitigation values.
  20. Meneltel Well-Known Member

*blush* Don't laugh. I am NOT dps material. I just have fun. I don't run ACT (not sure how to get it to run, downloaded it long ago and couldn't figure out how to use it so I deleted it). From what I have seen (pre Ascension). I was about 20 to 30 mill dps on single target and was over 100 mill on large groups of trash mobs at times, but it varied below that depending on the fight. My guild is large but VERY casual and I was the best AoE (other than our MT Berserker or tanking SK, both much better geared) at the time (and still am, for the most part). Those numbers are from the KA heroic or from the ToT heroic zones. Normally we don't have ACT running unless one of them has it going for their own purpose so I never see it unless someone asks due to them changing their AA setup. I also am a mouse clicker and poor reflexes *shrugs* but I have fun and to me, that is most important and to the guild, each player having fun is most important. I am sure someone running my set up and gear would get much higner numbers, but I do the best I can and I have fun. And I don't try to LFG at all.