i need a sub now to play EQ2???

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Castles, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Lithinor Member

you know what else brings in profits... advertisement. instead of dicking around with everything outside of the obvious (advertisement=profits), why not just create better content that no one will hear about? i can't tell you the number of times I've heard, "everquest is still running?" it's almost embarrassing to admit that i do still play it and no, word of mouth is not enough nor is changing the pay plan for those that are left
    Lateana and Livejazz like this.
  2. Arandar Well-Known Member

You do realize this is the exact same thing people have been saying since 2005, right? EQ2 seems to have been teetering on the edge of oblivion for more than a decade now for one reason or another. And yet, here we are.
    Lateana and Livejazz like this.
  3. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Slowly dying doesn't equal extinct. EQ2 is still here...but just barely and any one saying otherwise has their head buried in the sand. I don't want this game to end, but you can't deny the obvious....don't have to like it...but can't deny it either and be honest at the same time.
  4. Ratza Well-Known Member

While I don't think F2P was a mistake...I do think allowing full access to the game minus a few small perks was a HUGE mistake. I applaud DBG for boldly taking the step to make this new content subscription only. We can't keep expecting new content for free ... I don't think anyone here would go to work everyday for nothing .... so why should our DBG team work for nothing?
  5. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I understand what you are trying to say, but f2p customers do spend money on this game and therefore do support it. They may not pay a subscription, but if they want to play the latest content/expansion they have to buy it. They also spend money for items in the marketplace. If f2p feel that having a subscription benefits them, then they will sub as many have. I just wish that some players on these forums wouldn't always blame every thing on f2p or attack them when they express their views on these forums (I am not saying you are btw). I have paid a subscription since EQ2 went live and have gladly done so, not to mention pumping tons of $$$ into the game otherwise. Having said that I don't have a problem with f2p and I don't think it was a mistake. I think this game is in the state it is in because of many other bad decisions (to many to list here).
    Kalderon likes this.
  6. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

It really illogical if F2P have same level of content and toys to play with as subs - I don't think anyone going to argue with that?
    Subs only content it's logical way to promote ppl to sub - after all 12.99 a month aren't much money ... Plus, if you are in guild if you are running guild group and doing SLR or you simply harvesting keys - it's not even remotely challenging accumulate enough plat to buy kronos right?
    Kalderon likes this.
  7. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I don't think that f2p and subscription based customers should get the same benefits/content etc as that would make no sense as their wouldn't be any distinction between the two. They could make GU 100 available for purchase though via the marketplace for f2p to purchase if they wish to and they would make money from that. As a paying subscriber, I just get tired of f2p getting blamed for everything I guess. Making EQ2 f2p brought in alot of new players and many have stayed and become subscribers and those that haven't become subscribers still spend money on this game in other ways.
    Kalderon likes this.
  8. Ratza Well-Known Member

The marketplace is also used by subscribing members too......if the market place was really profitable then money woes wouldn't be an issue would it?.....the argument that F2P supports the game with marketplace item sales just doesn't make much sense....what is on the market place that they need to buy repeatedly each month that would add up to the monthly cost of a subscription?....as for buying the xpacs...subscribed members also have to buy them....this is the 1st major update that has ever been opened to subscribed players only...and I'm sure with very good reason....people need to get a paycheck. Bottom line is when there is little to no difference between subscription or F2P many people will opt F2P....I think history has proven that. I too am a paid subscriber since launch date and have gladly paid in addition to marketplace purchases and every xpac, So IMO the only way to separate the F2P and subscriptions so that it has meaning to be a subscribed player is to really bring up the stakes and make a significant difference between the 2 play models...make people want to subscribe.
    Rotherian likes this.
  9. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Are you trying to imply that any money that f2p customers spend on this game is not relevant some how? Also, I didn't say they should get any recent content for free, but why not make GU100 available for purchase on the marketplace if f2p wants to buy it? Either way, beating up f2p customers or the f2p model isn't going to encourage them to become subscribers nor will it ultimately save this game from its many other problems.
  10. Regolas Well-Known Member

I'm a subscriber but I don't necessarily think making GUs require being subbed is a good thing.

While we still have the f2p option I think it should be tied into the latest xpac or a stand alone fee like the campaigns they made a song and dance about that only lasted for 1 release.

I can get used to whatever they decide, but I would like some consistency instead of changing their direction every few months.

One year this type of GU is totally free, next year it's a campaign, next year it's sub only.... What's it going to be Daybreak?
    Lateana, Spooned, Kalderon and 2 others like this.
  11. Spooned New Member

I also think making the GU100 sub only is a mistake. I have been playing this game since beta, off and on over the years. When the f2p model was introduced, it was the best out there. They've established that, and now they've altered it. The f2p crowd should be allowed to run the new content imo. If the game is good enough to attract new subs to raid, etc. then the market will bear it. Some folks genuinely don't have the cash to spare, and some don't play enough to warrant the cost, regardless of the perception by those who think otherwise.

At the end of the day, it's not my decision. I sub, so I'm not missing out on anything with the GU.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  12. Ratza Well-Known Member

No...not at all...what I am saying is that subscribed players spend money in the marketplace too...so the argument that F2P are entitled to anything just because they purchased good out of the marketplace is a weak argument because subscribed players spend money there too. I highly doubt F2P marketplace sales are supporting this game. With that said....there really needs to be a generous gap between F2P and subscribed...why else sub if there is no real benefit?
    Prissetta likes this.
  13. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I didn't say they were entitled to any thing, I am just tired of people dismissing their monetary contributions to the game and otherwise bashing them and blaming them for every thing wrong in this game. Again though as far as GU 100 is concerned, why not sell access to it on the market place so f2p can buy it if they choose to. I don't see what harm that can do.
    Torvaldr likes this.
  14. Torvaldr Well-Known Member

I think they want the sub and the frosting from the cash shop cake. There isn't much more they can offer as a bonus for the subscription, numbers aren't hitting projected target levels, so they're trying to squeeze a little.

I too think they should just be tied to the expac. You buy the xpac, get the game updates associated with it. I typically subscribe 3 - 6 months out of the year. The first thing that crosses my mind when I see content locked behind the subscription is, why the hell did I just pay $35 - $140 and what did that just buy me? Why isn't all the content included in that? So now I not only have to pay that fee but go back to the mandatory rental fee like we had before? I found it frustrating and it sort of sucks the enthusiasm I had for buying content.

It feels like DBG isn't happy with what I do spend in the last year. Mercenary crates are another example. They're not happy with just selling me a merc, they want me to spend more and gamble for the one I want. It all feels like playing games with paying for the game.
  15. Xillean Well-Known Member

I think they should have did what swtor did and make it where once you sub for at least 1 month for the content to retain access to it afterwards even if your sub lapses. That way anytime there is new gu like this you'd have to sub at least once but keep your access. They would have probably made more money that way.

Right now its like your renting the update, while I sub yearly and always have I can certainly see how this may look to someone who is f2p
    Torvaldr likes this.
  16. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

I wish this game would just go fully back to P2P and let the F2P model die away. All it ever does any more is cause disputes. The game costs less than a pizza now aday to play every month, and you get far more entertainment value (unless you really love pizza...).
    Jaden, Malleria, Lateana and 4 others like this.
  17. Livejazz Well-Known Member

I just wish the Marketing Department at Daybreak Games actually had meaningful work to do, since it appears they do not, or even perhaps are non-existent. I dunno, MAYBE if there was just even a HINT of advertising, more people might be playing.

But, you know, that's none of my business.
    Jaden, Lateana, Regolas and 3 others like this.
  18. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Kronos on AB are running at 95k plat each right now on broker. Not exactly pocket change for some of us.
    Livejazz likes this.
  19. Faelfreeblood Active Member

I wish you did need a sub instead of rift style ''master of the house'' well eq is not that bad, betraying lore for profit (why I quit rift), that and selling the time of day. Eq also has progression for those who wish it. I have a feeling if people were forced to sub, nicer people, wow req sub but still has there version of krono they copied from eq probably. I think they people who would pay to subscribe to eq2/eq as there games of choice would be nicer than those that would pay for wow and play eq for free.
    Erudinel likes this.
  20. Thechurchofgixx Active Member

when kronos are higher than 50k per krono I just pay the fee.. no way im paying that much for one even though I got tons tons tons of plats.......