Non-AFK botting isn't against the rules?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Lovidicus, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foretold Well-Known Member

So you're saying that there's some conceivable way to infer, from the two quotes, that using a 3rd party program is ok? Because you're at your keyboard? Because human interaction IS required to push one button and set off a script in said 3rd party program? Really? That's being really obtuse.

The first quote relates to AFK playing, i.e. putting merc on kill and going to work. This has never been legal, and the quote has nothing to do with 3rd party programs.

The second quote says "multiple characters that are AUTOMATED within the game and do not have or use human interaction are not ok." There's no way to even infer from this quote that 3rd party programs are ok.

Again, the way DBG has enforced its policies is the problem - they ban some, they ignore some - but the practice itself has never technically been allowed.
    Ajjantis, Zeffran, Rhodris and 2 others like this.
  2. Azian Well-Known Member

I really don't have a dog in this fight and I also would have taken your position until quite recently. That said, you are incorrect about your interpretation of the first quote which has nothing to do with afk mercs. Page 8 of this thread...https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...bs-and-its-really-no-secret-to-anyone.563348/ which was just locked. Sorry that you feel that my taking a contrary position to yours and noting the basis for my position with red name quotes is being obtuse.

Holly's quote is as clear as mud. I don't think that is unintentional. I honestly think the developers prefer to allow the multi-boxers (botters if you will) as long as they aren't being overtly disruptive because they generate revenue but that they also would prefer not to come right out and say that using ISBoxer or the like is ok because of the potential uproar it may cause. Being vague also allows them to take a harder line on the matter at a later date if they feel the need without ever having committed firmly to one side or the other.

Edit to add: I reread Holly's post. I think I did her a disservice in my comment above as it's actually clearer than I'd first thought. She defines botting as automated game play without human interaction as being unacceptable. Add that to RadarX's quote and it seems fairly straightforward to me.
    Prissetta and Regolas like this.
  3. Foretold Well-Known Member

If this is now the case, they really do need to state this in writing and change their policies.

So much waffling from DBG on this, for years. Decide what your policy is, communicate it, then enforce it...
    Belenos and Rozyn like this.
  4. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

So much misinterpretation and so much trying to read between words and lines.

So much popcorn to eat :)
    Prissetta likes this.
  5. Caith Developer

Keyclone is also considered botting, and thus against the rules. There isn't any grey area here.
    Finora, Prissetta, Ajjantis and 11 others like this.
  6. Azian Well-Known Member

Well, that certainly is a clear response. Makes me wonder why prior responses were not so definitive.
    Belenos likes this.
  7. Neiloch Well-Known Member

It sounds obvious as I think of asking it in light of the other two answers but i'll do it anyway.

It would be considered botting if say one person made a group of 6 characters, controlled one and used a script to control the other 5, right?
  8. Regolas Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I understand it and exactly how I felt. I've got enough toons on one account to move to separate accounts and start a crew (and the DBG cash for the transfers), but 4 more AoM purchases + 4 more subs to allow transfers to occur (as I already have 2 accounts) is about $220. Not worth it!
  9. Regolas Well-Known Member

I think the problem is, how do they enforce it?

Your multiboxing program(s) I assume do not show up any differently on their end to a group of six people sitting around six computers off the same IP address.

So other than common sense on how these characters interact, there's probably little way of telling if someone is just running one client per PC or 24.

Therefore all they (DBG) can do is make sure someone responds so they're at the keyboard.

As for keystrokes and macro type things, there's lots of disputing whether it's allowed or not. I like to call upon this pic of someone who got banned on Eve for multiboxing, and then disputed it by making mechanical macros (ie lots of mice and keyboards and sticks to join them together).

[IMG]

Source :

http://kotaku.com/5514947/online-gaming-rig-redefines-the-meaning-of-multiplayer

http://gizmodo.com/5515138/insane-mmorpg-rig-lets-you-farm-for-gold-with-six-computers-at-once
  10. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

IMO No one is legitimately boxing current content or raid zones.

But apparently it's almost impossible to detect the botters and/or they just don't have the people to do the research and kick 'em to Drunder.
  11. Neiloch Well-Known Member

It would take some resources, I mean they might noy be able to do it as is, but they would just need to 'allow' certain programs to run the game while simultaneously detecting them. There's no reason to use them other than doing things that break the EULA so they could ban/suspend such detection pretty liberally.

Its kind of funny because people debate what is botting/allowed or not when the MEANS to accomplish these 'debatable' methods is most certainly NOT allowed. Its like asking if its okay to mug someone while wearing a green hat rather than a red one.
    Foretold and Belenos like this.
  12. Medicinal Active Member

Makes me curious as to why key cloning is considered not botting in EQ and botting in EQ2. It, arguably causes more damaging in EQ than EQ2. At least I haven't seen any 24 box armies in EQ2. The inconsistency is more than a little confusing for your player base.

Of course, the way I see it. Daybreak could spend tons of money and man hours fighting a war on bots they will never win, or they could just focus on getting rid of the jerks and save everyone a lot of money and headache. I wonder which one they will opt for.
  13. redwoodtreesprite Well-Known Member

THANK YOU! This is something that has been needed to be clarified for a long time now in EQ2!

To make it even clearer, are you saying that pressing one key to make multiple characters attack at the same time is against the rules?
    Ajjantis, Chocoholic and Belenos like this.
  14. thepowersthatbe Member

Then you haven't been on AB or Freeport I've been in vent (bot makers ventrilo) where there was over 10 people in there that was botting 24 accounts each and racing to clear end game content they cleared tov content faster than top legit guilds and aom fully cleared months ago.they have a pocket someone that protects them./shrug
  15. Kindle Heartforge Active Member

Thanks for the input Holly.

From RadarX's response in a different thread and Holly's response here, this is my takeaway:

1) In-game mechanics (Hotkey Macros, Autofollow, etc) are allowed to assist managing multiple characters.

2) While playing multiple characters, you may use any method of controlling them such that every action each character takes in-game is directly linked to a physical mouse click or key press.

3) If you use a product, software, or mechanic (outside of in-game macros) which allows a character to be controlled or manipulated without a physical mouse click or keypress is in violation of game policy. Should you be caught, your characters will be punished and sent to Drunder to rot. May Windstalker have mercy on your souls.

4) ANY activity (whether playing single character, boxing, botting, or shouting from the peanut gallery) that results in disruptive gameplay can put you on DBGs radar in a bad way.

Anyone get something different out of their comments?
    Prissetta, pzpz and Rhodris like this.
  16. Kindle Heartforge Active Member

Ambiguity is a powerful economic force. Mouse/Key cloners are skirting the rules, and as long as they aren't being disruptive they are generally left alone.
  17. LordTiras Well-Known Member

Well, I'd box current content if I ever bothered to level up to it with two characters, but as I like clowning around and I'm only level 83 after playing on and off since launch, I should hit adventurer level 96 in ooh, 2019 or so? :D
    Seefar and Wirewhisker like this.
  18. Alenna Well-Known Member

thank you.
  19. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Just in time for us to go to level 120 and 700 AA's. :D
    Prissetta and LordTiras like this.
  20. ApplesAndOranges22 New Member

Could all the people saying "devs have been ambiguous" "devs heavily implied ..." and so on please quote the posts they're referring to?

Every post I found through google mentioned or pasted the EULA, which quite clearly let's you know the programs they're asking about are not allowed.
    Foretold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.