Is it Possible to have a Crafter Only char ? that doesnt adventure lvl

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Veteranmyth, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Veteranmyth Member

hi

was curious if u could make a char that you only want to craft on and not do any adventure lvls and just stay at lvl 1 but lvl ur crafting... is that possible and would you be able to get those prestige trade-skills ...

huge thanks for any info please?
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

You can turn off xp gains, but you're going to be terribly squishy when you go to do quests.

I'm curious... why is it so important to be level 1?
  3. Purrako Active Member

Yes you would have to turn off adventure exp.
    Otherwise you would gain several adventure levels just from discovering the areas the various tradeskill quest NPCs are located.
    Finora likes this.
  4. Caela Well-Known Member

I have a lvl 95 crafter that has only leveled through discovery xp - I believe she's lvl 24 now. For the most part, it's not hard at all - there are a few areas where you have to pay attention to avoid agro - but you do not need to be a high level adventurer to be a high level crafter.
    Finora and Veteranmyth like this.
  5. Akina_Storms Active Member

if you don't gather with it, yes you can.
    if you have to gather with him, it will be a hard pain in some place, like AoM...

and if you want the poney for gathering, you'll have to do all the quest...
    that can be tricky some times.
  6. jessejames Active Member

Not only gathering but higher level quests in general may be more challenging.
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

I've taken toons that were ~20 adventure through the entire tradeskill timeline, including the harvesting questline without issue. I've had to be careful and cautious, but it works. I haven't run through the AoM tradeskill timeline on any lowbie toons yet, but it looks doable.
    Veteranmyth likes this.
  8. Charlice Well-Known Member

You might have issues with power when you get to high level crafting, that's about the only issue I can think of. Power issues only seem to affect two of my toons when crafting though. Power totems are a bit of a help.

The harvesting quests will be a pain but not impossible, and much easier if you have a flying mount. I think you need to be .... 85? for that. The lowest toon I've done the harvesting quest on was around 19 I think, but that was with the flying mount and some patience.

The only other thing is some collections reward game currency. I know with ToV collections, even though my crafters were max level they could only be opened by a max level adventurer. :mad:

It's not like the old days were you could die at the forge. Oh I wish they'd bring that back, it was hilarious.
    Deveryn likes this.
  9. Veteranmyth Member

well thanks for the info :) ive been away form eq2 for sometime so wasnt aware of all the changes and items etc from expansion packs. i just wanted a char that was a crafter and that i could kit it all out in crafting only stuff and not get lost in all the loot of eq2 :)

But i may in time lvl my char just craft for now and see what happens, thanks again

and yeah death at the table was so funny lol
  10. Ragna Well-Known Member

Quite the contrary.
    All reaction art's power costs are %based from your powerpool. IOW with better - adventuring - gears/higher level your power cost will grow.
    Crafters with very low adv. level never have power issues (assuming they don't miss counters)
    Xianthia likes this.
  11. govtcheeze New Member

This. I turned off xp for all my crafters. You shouldn't wear adv gear or have stat buffs running. Way back I actually created a level 1 on a different account and mentored him when I crafted. A stack of milk kept me at full power even when I missed a reaction. Vendor food kept me from dying.
  12. Hijinx Well-Known Member

One draw back: the crafter mount bonuses only apply to those with adventure level 95+. Other than that, I've had no issues with my low level crafters.
  13. Veteranmyth Member

prestige trade-skills are for high lvls tho right? progress gained etc
  14. govtcheeze New Member

They are based on TS level, not adv level.
  15. Charlice Well-Known Member

The power thing is weird and annoying. Miss counters, don't miss counters, I constantly run out of power crafting on my Necro.
    My other toons I don't. Any tips appreciated.
  16. Finora Well-Known Member

You can gather all tiers on a low level character. I've had characters with crafting higher (in some cases much higher) than their adventure level since the level cap was 50. There are places to gather every tier without too much hardship at a low level. It takes a little longer because you can't go EVERY where there are nodes due to mobs, but you most certainly can gather as a low level adventurer. All it requires is the patience to learn where the mobs path, how far their agro range is and the ability to think quick if you need an escape route.

Then again I happily ran a level 53 on foot (not high enough crafter to have a flying mount) to go kill Baelon for the Heroes' Festival event too,
  17. Merriel Well-Known Member

Gathering is based on adventure level though, not tradeskill level, though I never understood the reasoning behind this, since gathering is tied to tradeskill professions. It didn't make sense to me that my lvl 85 adventurer/lvl 95 carpenter could not continue the Gathering Obsession questline until she reached lvl 95 Adventurer, so I pushed out those last 10 lvls to be able to do so. I think you would be hard pressed to successfully gather stuff in a lvl 95 zone at lvl 25, due to the higher agro range of such a low lvl character. Not to say it would be impossible, but seems the time it would take to be able to successfully evade and gather at that lvl would be counter-productive.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

Harvesting is based on the higher of tradeskill and adventure level. I've finished Gathering Obsession with toons that are less then 30... before they changed how harvesting works.
  19. Merriel Well-Known Member

I guess I should have made myself more clear, as it was the Return of Gathering Obsession that could not be done until I was lvl 95 adventurer. I still consider that part of the quest line, though it is actually an extension of the original questline.
  20. Ragna Well-Known Member

The likely culprit is your "Vigor" charm and its +150% to all power costs.