Fuel Depots

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Guiscard, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Kurogo Active Member

Plainly, I don't see how increasing the personal depots slots will infringe on guild depots. What is the difference in allowed stack sizes for each? My guess is guild depots are a lot higher.
  2. Avianna Well-Known Member

Your guess is they are a lot higher? Why are you even posting in a thread if you do not know anything about the topic we are discussing. Just an FYI guild depots slots are twice the capacity of the personal ones, stack size is the same on both. We are asking for the personal fuel depots slot capacity to be raised to at least accommodate all the regular fuels in the game if not even more to accommodate holiday fuels as well.

Happy Hunting,
    ~Avi
  3. Kurogo Active Member

My guess is you don't know what infringe means, otherwise you'd see I'm also in support of increasing personal fuel depot slot limits. Not knowing guild depot stack limits =\= a complete lack of knowledge on this topic. My point was that guild depots could have much higher stack limits to retain an advantage over personal depots if the slot limit were to be increased.
  4. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Somehow I cannot envision any guild, no matter how helpful, putting 99,999 of each fuel into a fuel depot.
  5. Kurogo Active Member

True enough, especially with fuel merchants essentially filling the same roll with an unlimited supply. But an argument made earlier was guild depots retaining some kind of advantage over personal depots. Whether they use that advantage fully or not doesn't justify the limit of slots on the personal depot.
  6. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Personally, I think increasing the capacity of the guild depot to twice the amount of current fuels (that are allowed to be put in depots - since there are some fuel components that are disallowed for deposit into depots), then increasing the capacity of the personal fuel depots to half of the new capacity of the guild fuel depots would probably be the best way to give both sides what they want. Those that want to have just one crafting house (instead of two or more) can do so, and those that want the guild depots to be twice the capacity of the personal ones still get that. It's a win-win situation. o_O
    Alenna, Avianna and suka like this.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

So your solution is to give personal depots the capacity to hold every fuel, and to give guild depots the ability to not have people whine when a new fuel is introduced? But to keep the problem of when a new fuel is introduced that everybody in this thread will be back to demand the personal fuel depot be expanded, again.

How about we just eliminate the differences? Make personal depots the same as guild amenities. That also means charging about 1p and 5000 status per week per depot in rent. After all, if your after the same functionality you should pay the same costs.
    Avianna and Kuulei like this.
  8. Deveryn Well-Known Member

You do realize how silly it is to have personal depots add rent to a house, right? It's so easy to nullify either cost. If anything, it should go the other way and guild depots shouldn't have a cost. At the very least, the fuel depot shouldn't have one if they're to be evened out.
    suka likes this.
  9. Rotherian Well-Known Member

No. My solution is to give them the capacity to hold all the items that can be purchased with coin from the fuel merchant, plus the three Frostfell fuels. This would give the personal depots a maximum capacity of 72 slots, which would then give the guild depots a capacity of 144. When the next expansion comes out, if they do add another tier, the people that want to at least have the basic fuels can remove things that fit in both the fuel depot and the harvest depot (such as sugar, aerated mineral water, cocoa, vanilla bean, etc.) and place those in the harvest depot instead. In fact, if the Frostfell fuels, dual storage "fuels", and the two types of repair were removed from the depot, that would provide enough slots to cover both T11 and T12 basic fuels whenever they are introduced (assuming that the categories of basic fuels don't change for T11 and T12).

That solution would be a band-aid, essentially, but it would be a band-aid that lasts a minimum of four expansions (more, if they break the 101-110 and 111-120 level ranges into smaller chunks).

How about: No. :p

As far as the equal functionality, I find it odd how people insist that the fuel depots have half of the capacity of the guild fuel depots when the personal harvest depots and the guild harvest depots both have an item limit of 1000 (and a maximum stack size of 99,999). So parity in one type of depot is unconscionable, but in another type of depot it is fine and dandy? o_O Maybe I'm channeling Marcellus*, but it seems like something is rotten there, and it isn't the "state of Denmark"**. :eek: ;)

* Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV.
    ** With apologies to William Shakespeare**. :D
    suka likes this.
  10. Meirril Well-Known Member

People are asking for more functionality, the last request to basically boost the amount of items in the personal harvest to the point where storing fuel in a house doesn't require any kind of thought. Then to balance it with guilds the guild depot should be inflated. Really? Considering that the only fuel a guild would want to store in such a depot is the kind that the vendor won't carry... even if it was 20 slots they would never run out of room.

Your right though, the guild fuel depot is a waste of time for any guild. It makes much more sense to dedicate a few guild bank slots to holiday fuels and just use an officer to store it in a personal depot.
  11. Meirril Well-Known Member

I'll agree on the second point. Something is rotten. It is a shame how dev inconsistently decided to cave on some issues (like the personal resource depot), but not on other issues (take your pick of anything in the last 3 pages of the tradeskill forum). Honestly I don't see anything wrong with 500 items in a personal depot. I don't think a personal house needs to hold enough resources for all of the crafting professions to practice out of it. I really don't think you need to base your entire crafting army out of a single house. Then again, I also prefer crafting in a guild hall. You know, one of those places that have all these amenities that a few crafters are trying to get into their homes?

Really where does this all end? If dev caves on fuel depots, then I suppose its on to the next depot? Or will there be a rising demand for a writ NPC for houses? A fuel vendor? Maybe a full wholeseller NPC? A private banker?
  12. Katz Well-Known Member

At this point, this seems to be more of an argument over usefulness of houses vs guild halls for crafting. I think some fundamental things should be addressed concerning guilds. For example, why can't the 10% status go to paying rent if the guild is maximum level? We have basically wasted all that status and rent has become a burden. I think the purchase of all those depots and the rent in status they cost has hurt the guild I'm in. Sure they are useful but at what cost?

I propose that every amenity that can be had in a personal home, should only cost a purchase price in the guild hall. After that they should be rent free.
    Malfaer likes this.
  13. Deveryn Well-Known Member

The "10% status" can't go anywhere because it's not an actual currency. It's XP (as evidenced by the writ frenzy that occurs during server xp bonus sessions).
    Mermut and suka like this.
  14. Malfaer Member

I never understood this either. There's more room in my harvest and collectible depots than I could dream of filling, but it is SO CRITICAL that fuel and lore & legend be extremely limited. Otherwise guilds all across Norrath will be rendered useless! There will be mass detaggings throughout the game as people realize there's no point to being guilded anymore now that they can store a reasonable amount of stuff in their homes.
    Kurogo and suka like this.
  15. suka Well-Known Member

i wouldn't say that the fuel depot in a guild is a waste of time. we use it for a variety of reasons. first, we dump our fuels we no longer need in it as we level up- giving new members in the guild who might not have the plat needed for fuel a chance to level and do tradeskill writs, which in turn benefit the guild. may not be much at lower levels, but every little bit helps.

when we are holding a guild event to raise level, we add to it to help with the costs of such an event. that way all of our people can participate, even if they only have a small amount of plat. yeah the writ reimburses you, but if you can't afford the fuel to begin with, it helps to have some there to use. and before you jump on a bandwagon about "everyone should have plenty of plat for fuel expense", let me remind you that many don't. when you are new to the game and want to contribute to the guild and do tradeskills, the easiest way is to do writs. tradeskill writs costs fuel and if all you have is a bit of gold and no plat, you are hesitant to pitch in. if there is fuel in the depot, then the feeling that you can't participate is no longer there.

as for who pays for the fuel, it comes in a variety of ways. we encourage our people to contribute back to the depot when they get enough plat to do so. that usually only takes a few weeks. we also encourage them to dump their excess fuel in. and when one of our richer members is feeling generous, they also add fuel.

At one point we were going to remove the fuel depot because it didn't seem justified. however, after careful consideration, everyone agreed that it helped them to have fuel when they were starting out and since then we have all contributed from time to time.
    Alenna likes this.
  16. suka Well-Known Member

the thing is, not everyone agrees with you. there are plenty of reasons people don't craft in a guild hall- like the ones who don't have a hall to craft out of for whatever reason. and the ones who find themselves crashing everytime they zone into the hall, or those who simply enjoy the convenience of crafting from home. if you lived in a country where you weren't allow to do anything at home - even cook meals - and had to go to a community place to do anything, would you be happy? of course your mayor and other officials might make the same argument you do about using a guild hall. but that doesn't make it right.

it isn't about what one person likes or allowing a few to dictate the game needs of the many. each person pays for their game and has their own views of what they want from it. if one person likes to craft in a hall, how should that affect the ones who want to craft from home? it shouldn't . each to their own. i personally prefer to craft from my house and i like having all of my crafters in the same house. no one has the right to decide that i can't do that.
    Alenna, Kurogo and Naramsin like this.
  17. suka Well-Known Member

right. that 10% is not rent. it never leaves your pocket. just like if you are maxed on level and aas then you no longer need or use the xp, the guilds who are maxed no longer need or use their xp. but it isn't anything that can be spent on anything. it doesn't even pay the guild hall rent.

there are two uses of the word "status" in eq2. one means it is points you acquire that you can use like a currency. the other is the equivalent of xp you have given the guild. your status points on a guild board do not reflect how much is in your pocket- other than roughly 10% not counting the status items you sold that didn't give the guild any experience. it reflects how much you, as an individual, contributed to the experience needed to level your guild. as such, it is easy to see how much you have benefited your guild. there are some who have no status because they are new to the guild and then there are those who are simply dead weight who never contribute at all. the guild board helps the guild keep up with who helps and who doesn't and is often used as a consideration when time to promote someone comes along.
  18. suka Well-Known Member

yeah that's like assuming that the only reason to be in the guild is to craft there or store your fuel, harvests, lore and legend, etc there. honestly, if that is the only reason to be in a guild then guilds would have died out a long time ago.
    Kurogo likes this.
  19. Rotherian Well-Known Member

That's the thing, though. If I have the fuel depot with enough available slots that I can put all my basic fuels in it, it doesn't prevent you from crafting in the manner that you prefer. However, if I don't have a fuel depot with enough available slots that I can put all my basic fuels in it, it does prevent me from crafting in the manner that I prefer. If use of the guild depot amenities is the only thing keeping members in a given guild, then that guild has problems that have nothing to do with depots, and thus won't be fixed by keeping the personal fuel depot capacity low. o_O (Note: I'm not saying that your guild necessarily fits that description. It may; it may not. Whether it does or not is not relevant to the discussion.)

You mean this old thing? :rolleyes: (Hint: if you visit Unrest server and go to the Antonica T3 Guild Hall belonging to Forgotten Abyss, you will see the following crafting area.)

[IMG]

IOW, yes, I'm aware of both the guild halls and the amenities. My guild has both of them (the guild hall and most of the depots, that is). I prefer not to use the depots in the guild hall so that the common resources will be available for guild members that are less established than I am. Additionally, since I have sole control over my personal depots, I know that the rares and other less common resources (that I've gained through my own play time) will only go toward uses of which I approve. Generally, however, if a guild member needs a rare, and I have enough of the type of rare needed (so that the use of a single one won't significantly reduce my stockpile of that rare resource), I will let them use it - by withdrawing it from my depot and directly handing it to that player. I'm not putting the guild's resources in my personal depot, only my own. So my use of my own resources does not adversely affect the guild.

Ah. The slippery slope fallacy. I was wondering when that was going to show up. o_O You could make the same case about any improvement that has yet to be made to the game, and it would have the same validity*.

* I.E. Very little, if any. (That isn't meant as a personal attack, merely as a refutation of your argument that requests for things like house writ NPCs, fuel vendors, house wholesalers, and bankers are direct logical extensions of asking for personal fuel depots to have the capacity to contain all current fuels. I'll concede that the rest of the depots, while they are below the optimal capacity, will probably be the subject of requests for improvement, if personal fuel depots have their capacity increased. However, I feel that I should point out that the rest of the depots will also likely continue to be the subject of requests for improvement even if the personal fuel depots don't have their capacity increased.
    Alenna, Malfaer, suka and 1 other person like this.
  20. suka Well-Known Member

umm- as for writ NPC for houses, there already is one. it is created by sages and pulls up a writ npc who will give you the writ you need right there in your house. each copy of that little paper will pull up one npc for one writ

http://eq2.zam.com/db/item.html?eq2item=e91a4b45841ec7b0ae15d93a539c8399

i keep a lot on hand. never know when i or one of my guild mates might decide to use one.