New Marketplace Items: Bovochs and Bristlebane!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Dexella, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archaical Active Member

If you guys are trying to dispute the fact SOE is the most hated company in the industry, or that they took the name Everquest from the number 1 most popular MMO to not even in the top 20, then the fanboy bubble you live in is just too thick to penetrate. Again, I am admitting this was my favorite MMO, however, that is not saying much when you look at the other games in the genre. Yet they still are more popular, because they are not attached to the most hated name in the industry, SOE.

Number 1 to not even top 20.

Get the point? Monumental incompetance at its finest.
  2. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Hey. Trollboy. Saying something three times doesnt make it so. They didnt take anything from number 1 to not even top 20. There's a difference between 'same game' and 'sequel'. There's a difference between 1999 and 2013. There's a difference between 'fanboy' and 'not lying to try to make a nonexistent point'.

Take the energy you're putting into your vitriol and use it to learn what the heck you're talking about, or at least to go far far away.
    Karrane likes this.
  3. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I don't know about that, EA probably holds that throne by a wide margin. :)

Wait. So you are implying that a game franchise losing popularity over the span of 14 and nine years, respectively, between the two titles, can only be due to incompetence (and not to the fact that they are both kinda old). I'm not saying that some incompetence does not exist, but I doubt it is at the level you seem to think it is, and it is only one of the factors affecting the popularity of the game.:p

I can't speak for others, but I play the game because I enjoy it, and because it is a lot cheaper than going out and getting plowed* every weekend (which is what I used to do instead of playing this game). If you are playing this, or any other game, for a reason other than enjoyment, you may want to rethink your entertainment strategy.o_O

I wouldn't characterize it as a plethora. Several? Sure. A lot? Perhaps. A plethora? Not really (and not a cornucopia, either). :rolleyes:

As the amount (including SC purchases) I spend on this game generally does not exceed 5% of my net monthly income (which is definitely under the 100% indicated by the word all) they aren't siphoning all my money into their next project. Additionally, the word failed is past tense - indicating that failure has already taken place. Since EQNext isn't even in the beta phase yet, calling it failed is premature at best.

Amazing. How is it that you have this Nostradamus-like ability to foresee what will happen?:eek: Or maybe, just maybe, this is conjecture on your part and shouldn't be construed as precognition. Also, everybody doesn't know anything of the sort. Almost everbody may suspect, perhaps even expect, that what you conjecture will occur. That still doesn't make it knowledge.

(Note: I am making no predictions either way on EQNext. It may flop or it may be the best thing to happen to the genre since the genre's inception. We don't know, with any degree of certainty, which will be the case until one of them actually occurs. For now, let's just call it "Schrodinger's Video Game".):D

You would be well served to take your own advice. If you don't enjoy the game, maybe you should go play something else. If you choose to do so, however, please stop coming by to pee in our drinking water. o_O

* I.E. Imbibing massive amounts of liquid intoxicants. :oops:
    Karrane likes this.
  4. Mathrim Active Member

You know, Cloudrat makes a pretty good point here. Let's look at this pink meatbeast seriously. It took what? Maybe 30 minutes to change the gradient color to pink. The rest of the model is the same. Same animations, etc. Took maybe another 30 minutes to copy/rename it and add it into the database. Another 30 to add it to the Marketplace. And then 5 minutes for Dexella to add it into this post. Lets just be generous and double that and say 4 extra hours development time.

And this qualifies for a "exclusive and rare" moniker worthy of a $50 price tag? You know, I might be somewhat more lenient if it was an entirely new and unique mount like a Dragon that had never existed in game and was only available for that 1 day, but that's not the case here. It was a simple pallete swap that any rookie designer can do in Photoshop.

Is this going to be the new norm? Are they just going to take any standard item off the marketplace, re-tint for one day and claim they did something special worth $50 bucks.
    Xsara, Taysa, Tylia and 1 other person like this.
  5. Elostirion Well-Known Member

There is much sense and correctness here.
    And there it went. Rare doesnt mean difficult to produce, rare doesnt mean exceptional. Rare means not common. And with a 50 dollar price tag, the mount could have loooked like a poop with legs, and if few people bought it, it would be rare. They seemingly wanted few of the pink vecowciraptors in the game. Making it expensive will accomplish that. If you just wanted a vecowciraptor, there were two normal priced ones to pick from. Why do you want the pink one? Because of the exclusivity, rarity and specialness? Well, if everyone had one, would it be rare, exclusive or special?
  6. Archaical Active Member

That is really all I have to say.
  7. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Then you've said it. Again. Now go away.
  8. Mathrim Active Member

And if you think that a $50 price tag to keep the numbers down for nothing but a pallete change consititues a rare/eclusive/special moniker, then thats pretty sad.

You're basically just justifying that this game is becoming a "How much $$$ you have to be unique."

Plenty of other MMO's (INCLUDING EQ1) implement armor pallete customization within game without trying to suck the life out of their playerbase.
    Taysa and Vandrago like this.
  9. Mae- Well-Known Member

Back the heck up here with your "most of you" nonsense. I have never used in game plat to buy my sub. In general, I find my $15 a month well spent and don't try to get around it. I would be willing to bet that far more people are like me than those that use plat. I'm not saying plat isn't used, but those of us upset by this pricing are unlikely to be the same people who use plat to supplement our subs and SC purchases.
    Tylia and Karrane like this.
  10. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Again, rare does not mean awesome. Protactinium is an extremely rare element. It is basically useless.
    Justifying, not really. Just arguing against the sky falling. This has no impact on gameplay. That's what's important. You have plenty of customization options available. You arent required to have this one to be unique
    On the other hand, players having the expectation that everything in an MMO has to be within their reach....does tend to suck the life of them.
  11. Lempo Well-Known Member

Actually It probably only took a minute or two tops to change the color to pink

You might be?
    You know good and well that you'd be in that fray too, this about entitlement and not being satiated unless you get EXACTLY what you want, if the others are no different that this one and bear the same price as you expect them to because of the past prices then why not just buy one of them and get on with it and offer that advice to everyone else.
    Well we know why, and we know you will never admit it.

A large majority of the things on there are the exact same models ripped off from old stuff anyway, with a few minor mesh changes and reskinned yet you are not clamoring about that not being worth $5, $10 or whatever.
  12. Mae- Well-Known Member

The fact that it was a One-Day-Only item already made it rare. Why did the price also have to be 2.5x higher than comparable items?
  13. Mathrim Active Member

Apparently you failed to understand or just couldn't comprehend what I wrote regarding the $50 dollar price so let me rephrase. If SOE spends X amount of developer time creating a completely new, unique, and custom design that has never existed previously in game (not just a lazy pallete change) and they choose to market it as a 1 day existance only, then I would be more lenient and understanding if they chose the $50 price point to try and guarantee they recoup their investment costs in that limited time frame.

I still think they would be stupid to not sell 2000 of them at $20 instead of 400 at $50, but if they only care about guaranteeing the sale of the 400, then that's their choice and I wouldn't take issue with it. With these meatbeasts though, they are easily going to recoup their development costs within just the weekend sale I'm betting, not to mention the months/years of future cow sales for the standard models.

The $50 limited time only pink mount was nothing but a pathetic cash grab with the most minimal amount of effort required that they could have accomplished.

You know why I'm not clamoring or complaining about the re-skinned stuff on the market place? Because they are the same damn price as their counterparts and not 2.5x more expensive for a cheap *** pallete change.....
  14. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

I wish EQ2 had armour dye like LOTRO - I made a Scholar (a real pain to level) solely to make dyes for my other toons.

Sadly SOE prefers us to pay for recolours than earn them or craft them in game. Once upon a time this mount would have been available as a top prize in a hard seasonal mini-game, or after 200 quest repeats, or made with some huge amount of rares, or for a huge amount of seasonal tokens (or similar means). It seems we are heading inexorably towards less and less 'unique' or 'interesting' items being earnable as part of the actual game we all love any more. Especially to us non-raiders. SOE would rather make us spend yet more real world money than reward us for actually playing the game we are paying for. If that way lies EQNext then meh to it.

Oh and I have never payed for SC or my sub with plat - I pay the old-fashioned way, plus here in the UK we can't get SC cards any more anyway and US codes don't work on Euro accounts.
  15. Mathrim Active Member

Apparently your aesthetic for what "looks good" and mine are completely different. Lets look at the most reasonable to attain player mounts from the last 6 months. Dozekar quest mount, Gwey Vastpan, and Ekrais of the moon.

In my opinion, bulbous hideous pieces of crap.None of them even come close to the coolness/quality of some of the SC mounts.

As to the rest of your post, yes. That's exactly what I want. I want to COVER UP my new shiny gear that looks like plain crap and was just released with the NEW expansion with stuff from 5 years ago when SOE actually gave a crap about how in game stuff looked.

Almost every single toon of my mine that is wearing current expansion gear has it covered up with either old content appearance gear or SC marketplace gear and that is pathetically sad. You know what I see when I look at my guildies. The same damn thing.
  16. Iren Active Member

why make things rare at this late stage of the game, collectors would perhaps do a long drawn out quest to have a rare item, but asking them to dip theei hand in their pocket doesnt give me any sense of achievment whatsoever.
  17. Iren Active Member

ohhhh idk the community voice was answered when they sold out to prosabien1
  18. Pipsissiwa Well-Known Member

Or so it seems anyway - as an outspoken veteran of that battle I can't help but remain a bit cynical that SOE let us think it was down to us when actually it was something else. And potentially changeable at any moment, but that is another thread entirely.

Despite all that I too take it as a playerbase win!
    Iren likes this.
  19. Avirodar Well-Known Member

So how did it pan out? SOE decided to stop forcing the hand of existing customers, and will proceed as planned with future titles?
  20. Lempo Well-Known Member

I've long argued and complained about this point, in fact if you were preaching this in the thread I'd be arguing on your side.
    That however has not been the focus of this thread, the focus of this (and select other threads) has been to stir up a bunch of irrational people that think that SOE is obligated to offer whatever, in this case a mount at the same price as in the past.

People purchased cards for SC in order to buy a 'highly anticipated' mount.
    Those cards were redeemed and the SC was given in exchange.
    The mount was placed on the market for purchase.
    The SC that was purchased can be used to buy that mount, whether or not you have enough SC to buy it has zero bearing on it.

Nowhere in here was anyone mislead, nowhere in here was anyone scammed, nowhere in here was anyone deceived, cheated, price gouged, bait and switched or whatever other ridiculous terms might get thrown in.
    IT. DID. NOT. HAPPEN.

If you think it is too much then fine, tell SOE and don't buy it.
    People MAY think they were scammed, tricked, cheated, whatever but they are wrong and just because there are not as many of us in this thread telling them they are as there are saying they were doesn't make it so, it is mob mentality in action.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.