Leveling transmuting

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Dilbert, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Dilbert New Member

So I've done this on one account a few years ago. I'd like to do this on another account. Has anything changed since then? I vaguely remember seeing a thread that said the hard part was from 1-100. ...but I don't remember seeing why it got easier after 100.
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I remember the beginning was troublesome until they put in self-mentoring. After that it was easy to get low level items to transmute.
  3. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Also, at the beginning, all you had to do after 100 was make a mess-load of adorns (this was before they split adorning and transmuting).
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

Yes, transmuting is very different that it was at launch. What was transmuting has been broken down into 2 different skills. Transmuting is now a harvesting skill where you can only break magic items down into components for the other skill: adorning. Adorning is the skill of taking the transmuted components and making adornments, and also refining/distilling components to change the quality level.

To level transmuting you just break stuff down. Near your skill level transmutes will give a 50% skill-up rate. Your (max level) is ((transmute skill) / 5 + 5). The top range is from (max level) down to (max level -10). Items below that will taper off from 50% to bottoming out at 20% skill up rate for gray transmutes.

Adornment only gets leveled up at a workbench. You can either make adornments, or you can convert powders to fragments and back again like alot of people do to skill up. There is also a daily adornment quest offered in the various tradeskill societies that lets you get 11 free combines per day.
  5. GrouchyMouse Active Member

If you have the Cloak of the Harvester, that will give you an extra boost in transmuting which does help.
  6. Ivory Member

As a returning player starting over I found leveling transmuting up from 1-25 was the most difficult. You can either level lock at a low level and farm the few named that regularly drop chest in the beginning zones or you can craft 1-9 Mastercrafted to transmute (I also found the New Halas starter zone much easy to use to level transmuting).

Once you hit 25 its pretty easy to keep your transmuting level close to your level. You just have to transmute all the treasured and up drops that you get. If your trying to level transmuting on a higher level character, maybe someone else can help with that type of advice.
  7. Ynnek Well-Known Member

The hardest part is getting past level ~10 - Simply because of they way they swooped through the loot table, gear in the 1-5 level range is very hard to come by. Even a level 1 mob, tends to drop level 7 gear, which you mute yet. It can be discouraging.

A handy workaround is to instead craft your own level 5 masters or MC gear and mute it. At that level, rares are plentiful, far more so than mutables at that level. Grab a rare, craft, mute, rinse repeat. I normally do that to get my skill to 25+.

Once you can mute levels 10-15, you can either blast low level mobs for gear to mute, or start cruising the broker, though it's still expensive at those levels.

Levels 15 - 25 (skill 50 - 120) are easy to get as drops, still a little pricy on the broker.

Above that, stuff to kill is plentiful, and the price of mutables on the broker drops off dramatically.
  8. Deathbecomes Member

You could keep an eye on broker for cheap t1 rares or harvest a lot then have a tskill toon with mass produce make you 1,5,10,15,25,50,75,100 items to mute in a single combine.
  9. Tineren Active Member

It's worth noting that most gear that has a bonus to the harvesting skills also has a bonus to transmuting. Between the Pack Unicorn, Cloak of the Harvester, and the earing/belt pairs from the Mara instances/merchant you can start transmuting with a buffed skill high enough to transmute level 20 items.
  10. Guiscard Active Member

That Mara quest line is pretty tedious just to get the unicorn. If you are low enought there is unicorn that raised your transmuting you can get in Butcherblock.
  11. 10 Ton New Member

Good Info. But I can't see how one actually "does" the transmute. I've clicked the skill and all that happens is that the Spell timer cycles. Does one have to hold the objet to be transmuted in ones hand, or put it in a special place? Obviously, I'm new to EQ2 and struggling with the dearth of information on the functionality in some areas
  12. Ashnolo New Member

open your inventory, click on the "transmute" skill, then hover over your items. The cursor will be blue for items you can transmute. Click on the item to transmute it.
  13. 10 Ton New Member

Awesome. Thank you very much!
  14. Feldon Well-Known Member

In the old days, you had to transmute items from 1-100, and then create Adornments from 100-400. Now, it's two separate abilities that both go from 1-475.

Transmuting just zaps items and creates powders, fragments, etc.

Adorning creates adornments. Also look out for the daily Adorning quest. you can usually get 8-11 skillups each day just from this quest.
  15. Kuulei Well-Known Member

making mastercrafted items out of T1 rares, is the way to go for starting your transmuting. Its fairly simple to farm enough rares in an hour to possibly get transmuting to 50. Making mastercrafted cloth from yarrow, leather gear from waxed leather pelt, lapis to make jewelry, etcetera. :)
    Karrane likes this.
  16. Bashem Well-Known Member

I just came back to game after year off and my adorner is near max level so I will just do daily til it maxed but my transmuter skill is 100 is it worth it to get skill maxed I solo mainly but I can make mastercrafted thing as have 9 level 95 crafters or is it a money and timesink?
  17. Karrane Well-Known Member

Transmuting is a skill that everyone should be able to do IMO =)
    It's very well worth having.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

I only have one adorner, but all of my toons transmute. It is much much cheaper to be able to 'make' your own materials for adorning by transmuting then to buy the materials off the broker.
  19. Windru New Member

My question is about the trivial level of a transmutable item. I already know that your max T-level is skill/5 +5...e.g. 160 transmuting skill is 160/5 +5 = 37. That's the max level of item I can 'mute. Has anyone figured out the low level for trivial? such as your level /5? In my example, that would be 160/5 = 32. If this is true, then my skill up range would be 32-37. That seems kind of a tight range. I think I've done larger item level ranges, such as a 10-15 level range. (In my example again, that would be something like 22-37). I will observe some of my combines to see if I can offer any other insight.

If anyone has anything definitive, I would appreciate it. Thanks all !
  20. Meirril Well-Known Member

Ugh. I can't remember exactly but...as long as you stay within 10 levels of your current max you'll be at the 50% skill up range. If you go below that you quickly trend towards the trivial range of 20% skill up chance. No matter how far below your skill the chance for transmuting to skill up will be at least 20%.