Shadow of Fear the Twentieth Expansion?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fanra, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Just to help my OCD (and wiki), what is Shadow of Fear considered?

It seems like it is just Rain of Fear part 2 (in other words, it is RoF but you couldn't release it with RoF it due to time constraints), which makes it not an expansion but a "game update". At least the SOE announcement of it said "game update". Of course, that is the announcement that called it "Shadows of Fear", so I can't be sure if it was right or if things have changed.

However, it has its own name (Shadow of Fear) and other things make it hard to fit in. Also, several items and, I think, other things, have text like, "This item will increase the more quests and missions you do in Rain of Fear". So, do Shadow of Fear quests and missions also increase that?

I'm having trouble fitting the square peg in the round hole :)
  2. Axxius Augur

Convorteum was not an expansion, neither is Shadow of Fear. Consider it 19.1. And there will be 19.2 too (Heart of Fear).
  3. silku Augur

Are there release dates for these yet? Or are they still in testing/development?
  4. Abazzagorath Augur

April 17th for tier 3.
  5. Axxius Augur

The pre-announced release date for Shadow of Fear is April 17. Although the way things look on the Beta server right now makes it somewhat doubtful. No official announcements were made about Heart of Fear yet.
  6. Riou EQResource

Should be April 17th

Also yea, Shadow of Fear is just an extension to Rain of Fear. Like a sub expansion text like other games do (Like EverQuest Rain of Fear: Shadow of Fear type of deal)
  7. Phrett Augur

Based on the game updates over the past few months and the rebuilding of the portals in Shard's Landing... I think it's generally assumed that SoF will be launched roughly a week from now. Unless there's been more info shared of which I'm not aware.
    silku likes this.
  8. Axxius Augur

9. Xirtket Augur

was that comic supposed to be funny?

Back on topic.. is Heart of fear going to be considered T4?
  10. Laronk Augur

It was funny
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

For those who don't follow The N.O.O.B., besides the dismissal of fixing the formatting your hard drive as, "Nice to have", the boss mobs of the raid that the players are highly praising as, "great A.I.", are actually PvP ninja looting player killing players who were granted GM powers through an "error".
  12. Trajet D'Or Augur

Legacy of Ykesha was an extension and then it got ret-conned to expansion. To satisfy your OCD call Shadow of Fear the 21st expansion since some marketing dork will call Heart of Fear the 22nd and ret-con Convorteum to an expansion once the marketing dork no longer has the round number appeal of 20th expansion to consider CV a game update for now.
  13. moogs Augur

This is not expansion #20. It's more like 19.1. It only adds content such as new spells and AAs that should have been part of the RoF expansion but couldn't be completed in time for the release. It's free (with the purchase of RoF) and offers no new features.
  14. PiestroSA Forum Admin

It's a game update, not an expansion. :)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  15. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

16. Piestro Augur

Ironically, I have many learned behaviors associated with OCD. My extended family is affected by a number anxiety spectrum disorders, and I sorta picked them up. Regardless we shouldn't be discussing any individual's diagnosis, as it will lead nowhere good.
    Leerah, Elricvonclief and Tegila like this.
  17. Nedrom Augur

so its free then?
  18. Piestro Augur

Yes, although it requires Rain of Fear to access most of the content for the game update.
  19. Falos Augur

Everquest 2 never listed their major game updates that are comparable to this as expansions though, It's a nice free upgrade that is awesome to have but I hardly feel it qualifies as an official expansion, especially since other games that have had content releases like this never called that stuff an expansion either.
  20. Quiptos Journeyman

I am liking the slow release throughout the year so far, keeps the guild in plenty of stuff to farm and new events once in awhile. Beats having nothing going on the rest of the year.