Good duo for a Necro?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Jirriki, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jirriki New Member

Old player returning after about 10 years. Have decided on a Necro as my main and was wondering if I could get some advise on a box to go along with him. Not sure if I will be using mercs or not, didn't have them back when I played so not really sure about them tbh.

In no hurry to level, just want to enjoy the content.

Thanks for everyones help.
  2. Forcallen Augur

Really depends what you are looking to do but the most common tend to be mage, sk, shaman and bard.
    Noobieguy likes this.
  3. Noobieguy Augur

Any of these would be a good choice, if any of them are appealing to you. Really can play any class with a necro. I like bard, SK, or mage myself, but SHM would be an excellent choice as well.
  4. Sinestra Augur

Unless you want to spend the majority of your playtime getting gear, augs, and AAs for your SK just so that they can be useful avoid playing a SK or any other tank. You'd be far better off choosing another class that is more easily boxed and more useful.
  5. silku Augur

I'd almost say bard simply for increases in dps/pulling etc but the necro can pull pretty well. Shaman has some good synergy too. Another good idea is simply a cleric. Then you can use mercs to fill in the gaps.
  6. Jirriki New Member

Thanks for all the help so far, I guess I am leaning towards the Bard so far. Just a quick question, what about a Wizard or Chanter?
  7. silku Augur

I duo with a necro quite a bit and it works pretty well. The necro pet can tank a good deal of stuff and I do decent dps myself with a charm pet/my weak dots. It's much easier to do CC with the chanter than the bard. I find though that a chanter to do more than just buff/slow requires constant watching. A bard as a box is a little better because you can just /melody once the mob is being tanked and go back to the necro and not really worry. The chanter can be set up to do a few dots/debuffs as well with a few good macro keys.

For me personally, I find the chanter to be a superb creature when it's a main being focused on.. but the less attention paid to the chanter.. the less effective he is.
    Sinestra likes this.
  8. Naugrin Augur

Wizard works well with necro, my money would be on mage though.
  9. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I don't box, but I'm thinking Druid or 2nd Necro for root-rot. My first thought was Wizard too, but since fear spells have sunsetted, I would think non-nuking DoTs would be more harmonious. You can always whip out tank/healer mercs when necessary.
  10. Trippin Rat New Member

Same Jirriki from Rallos Zek back in the day?! Would be an odd coincidence at same time I return.... lol

I always duo'd with my brother who is a bard. Although another necro is pretty fun as well (my other go-to duo'ing buddy).
  11. Jirriki New Member

Sorry, used to play a Shaman on Mith Marr back in the day.

Probably going with Bard but Druid sounds like a possibility too.
  12. Noobieguy Augur

It is much harder getting a tank "ready" and able to play / participate in the game as you get higher in level. The SK is one of my favorite toons though, which is why I said "I like...". Necro / SK with 2 mercs can do a lot, and the augs / gear will give you plenty to do in your free time ;)
  13. greydeeds Augur

i box my Ranger , he has 56xx aas use wizzy merc on him.
    Necro my pet tanks using healer merc .
    necro is raid geared , ranger is t2 rof group geared.
    Ranger buffs make a already hellish pet even worse heh
  14. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Another necro... incase the first one dies you have a spare.
  15. Noobieguy Augur

LOL true, that works too :)
  16. Tachyon Augur

I did Bard for a while with my Necro but then switched to Shammy and have never looked back! Their slows make tap-tanking much easier and stacking their DoTs on top of ours really loads on the DPS. Not to mention their buffs and heals.
  17. Vivamort Augur

I like having a healer bot, so when I go somewhere mercs are not allowed, I have the ability to still have a healer. I like Druids because they can track and port, both I find useful in a box... also unlike a cleric or a bard, Druids can cast a group invis, to complement Necro group invis to undead.