Recently came back

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Zuee, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Zuee New Member

Soo as the titles says, i have recently came back after around 4-5 years.. last i played was in Faydwer,so its been a while, and got a subscription and honestly i dont even know where to start. Alot have been telling me to start out in Fippy/Vulak but im not sure, any suggestions where i can go? :confused:
  2. Yther Augur

Most normal servers are about the same, with some variations on times (some servers have a higher time-zone population than others and mostly depends on that particular server, with the exception of Antonius Bayle, which is designated Euro-centric (GMT) time).

Firiona Vie (FV) is the Role Playing server, with XP bonus and many tradeable normally no trade items, and is recommended for the very casual player as their end-game isn't as good as other normal servers. Zek is a PvP server. Vulak and Fippy are Time-locked Progression (TLP) servers and only upto DoD (10th) expansion at the moment. These also don't offer any of the expansion benefits from still locked expansions and requires a Gold membership to see and play them. Test is free and you get all expansion for free, but changes go in there first to get debugged, and like the other already mentioned servers have a lower population. Trakannon one of the newest servers besides the TLP and the newest normal server Vox are also low population. Vox and the TLP are so new though that there is more of lower level concentration of players.

https://www.everquest.com/ lists all the servers status including the current population (changes by differing times of day). I also didn't mention that Antonius Bayle is the designated Euro server, so if you play GMT prime time or around there, it may be a better fit just for that. Most of the normal servers have most of their guilds centered around Eastern to Pacific time, with a few having special times.

The thread at http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/are-you-new-or-returning-join-this-server.3597/ gives arguments for Fippy / Vulak, and counters to some false reasons to pick them.

Hope this helps some, and welcome back!

Yther Ore.
  3. BuzWeaver New Member

Don't feel bad I've been back to play several times and each time so much has changed I practically have to relearn the game. Also, it looks like I had to create another new name to post in the forms too. I guess they revamped them recently.
  4. Geroblue Augur

I suggest running a new toon through the tutorial to learn lots of the new stuff.
  5. Xanorak Lorekeeper

It really depends what your looking for. I've heard good things about starting on Firiona Vie and also Vox; but some returning players have been enjoying the progression servers.

Regular servers have defiant gear, mercenaries and people might be more open to give free gear/ power level. It's EQ made easy...

However; if you miss the challenge old EQ brought to us- u might enjoy the progression servers. I wouldn't say there's plenty of people to group with LvL 1-40... But u will run into some people on occasion. Once level 45-70 grouping isn't much of a problem.

It's all about what your looking for ;) but definitely take your time and look into it because the servers mentioned above are different in many ways
  6. Sinestra Augur

Try Vox, it's the suggested new server.
  7. Nick Elder

Not too sure about Vox.. My friend joined that server and said it's dead at low levels but u can find groups in the 60's
  8. Fenthen aka Rath

As opposed to every other server?
    Sinestra likes this.
  9. Sinestra Augur

Possible, but in mor than one comment here on the Newbie Zone, more than a few have expressed they enjoyed Vox and found groups fine. A few even went so far as to say they preferred it by far over the progression servers.
  10. JohnathanXFR New Member

I played on Vox. It's a decent server. I did have to solo/molo alot tho I'll admit. Then I went to bazaar and it was like WOW!!!!! I mean... This is candyland!! Not EQ!!! It's alot quicker to level but I think it lacks the challenge Fippy brings
  11. Nick Elder

lol.
  12. Obiziana Augur

I leveled a little 2 box group on Vox over the past three months or so. I've had NO problems finding groups. Whenever I'm exping folks generally run by and ask to join. I tell him it's just me and my box hanging out and nine times out of ten they'll want in. I'm always happy to extend the invite and form a quick group. So far my toons are 55 and just working on some 1.0 prequest stuff. It's funny, I even see folks looking for groups in some of the oldschool content from time to time. I had a PUG in Seb last weekend... something I never thought I'd see again.

Anyhow, enough of that. It's a great server in my opinion!
    Sinestra likes this.
  13. Sinestra Augur

And another happy Vox player who negates all the stupid stories told about Vox. Many of us have had great experiences on Vox and that makes some people very sad pandas.
  14. Artemis-Entreri Augur

Gotta give another thumbs up for Vox. Been here for 10 months now, lots of good, happy folks here. Plenty of grouping opportunity, general chat filled with folks that are willing to offer advice. I'm a pretty casual player, but already have a 93 Mag (2700 AAs), 72 Rog, 71 Zerk, 64 Nec, 59 Rng, and a slew of various other alts in the 20-48 range. Never had much problems not being able to find groups (unless it was like 3 am, or such).
    Sinestra likes this.
  15. Sinestra Augur

I must also say that my normal main server is Povar, not Vox, so I didn't already have an established group of friends when I created my character and still had no problems.