EQ needs to refocus

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, May 7, 2024.

1. uberkingkong Augur

EQ expansions as of late, its all about go kill stuff. Thats all this game really has, a bunch of quests/missions or neither and all you do is go kill stuff. With some non killing stuff quests, but they mean very little. Its just to get to the kill stuff stuff.

EQ MMO with hardly any fun stuff in it, roleplaying, its mysteries they don't have mysteries anymore.

just a video of modern day MMORPG,
    4th expansion and its not just a bunch of zones 99% enemies no lore. No this expansion has a whole zone for lore/roleplaying, the other zones have lore/roleplaying. Not no EQ, make 6 new zones with no lore, no roleplaying, just 99% enemies and go kill them all. Aggro whole zone and kill them all. 0% lore in EQ in these expansions ToV - current day.
    Laurion Inn, theres no lore to it, they slept on lore/roleplaying, there are no events happening or anything. They focused 100% on kill stuff. those NPCs they just placeholders, buy your spells and what not. Get your meaningless quest where at end of day, go kill stuff.
    where its not all, all you do is go kill stuff all day long. linear, bare basic MMORPG.
    Modern day MMORPG multiaspect tons of stuff to do, thats why FFXIV is popular. Thats why there are 40+ MMORPGs better than EQ, because they have
    kill stuff + more things todo besides that

EQ needs to refocus, get outta the cater to raiders focus, and do more than just that.
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

Wow, I was pleasantly surprised by your post UKK, I didn't have to scroll down 3-4 times to get to the end of it. Good job on paraphrasing what you have been saying for quite a while.
    Cicelee likes this.
  3. Iven the Lunatic

EQ has already many features that don't require to kill stuff. Overseer, quests, collections, bazaar, crafting, foraging, fishing, decorating houses and guild halls, dressing up PCs.

The Guild Wars 2 video has nothing to do with lore and roleplay. It is all about jump and run like Super Mario 3D for little kids, and does not look appealing.
  4. uberkingkong Augur

Yeah its nothing important but just goes to show people do fun stuff, its not all kill, go out and kill, go out and kill stuff.

Overseer, thats just a time waster, thats sad, if other MMORPG'ers saw that, they be like thats sad/lazy way to get people caught up. Freebees. It's a daily on participation trophy status.
    Other MMORPGs dailies aka overseeers you gotta work, its not EASYMODE EQ PARTICIPATION reward. Sad and lazy.

NOW if it was LoN, THAT is FUN. Overseer thats sad and lazy get caught up or get free items, participation trophy. LoN I could spend a whole day having fun playing that.

Whats EQ do, LoN isn't fun. Remove it. EQNEXT isn't fun, remove it.
    I loved LoN, getting rid of it was not a good move. You could have created stories in it too, so many opportunities. But its gone. WHY??? Not fun or WHY?

Quests? So general, yeah go kill worgs. Quests = go kill stuff. If its run around gather stuff, thats not equivalent other MMORPGs and actual RPG stuff, fun stuff. Those games have those tedious progression quests where you gather stuff and no one likes those. Like in GW2 skyscale, go gather a bunch of stuff, boring. fun and rpg stuff isn't quests and gathering non kill but tedious types of things.

QUESTS, speaking of which is there loot pinata, racing, go gather coins and get tons of xp daily. nope none of that.

thats a fun mode quest, not some tedious grindy, non kill stuff quest. REPEATABLE. Good rewards.

Log into the game make good progress having fun. Not gotta go and kill because thats all you do in EQ to make meaningful progression. To spend a day making meaningful use of time. PLAYING WITH OTHERS.

bazaar, forging, fishing. thats something you do when your going to go afk/downtime/bored and doing something but its bored and just to feel like doing something not necessarily fun, this is not fun meaningful use of play time.

fishing in EQ is bland boring, its not paying attention and hitting your macro button whenever the timer is up and you gotta hit it again. same forage. same with tradeskills. no MMORPG tradeskills is fun activity.

Guild hall and houses decorating, not many people do this, even in other games. Housing/Guild hall decorating isn't fun.

Actually a game where it IS FUN is FFXIV, but in EQ. Nope its not up there, its with the others, not bad but not good either. Just there to say "we can make houses too", yeah you and everyone else. You can't do it like FFXIV where its a thing.

FFXIV isn't popular because it has alternate persona or kill stuff things, its the RPG factor.
    People playing MMORPG for the RPG factor and its actual RPG factor it emphasis on.
    EQ you don't see MOBS of random people showing up to random place to party.
    Speaking of which. MUSIC, AUDIO when it compares to FFXIV.
    This game lacks big time in MUSIC/AUDIO in new expansions.
    You don't need to bring up back in the days music/audio that was on point. This is a REFOCUS thread.

EQ today is not like back in the days old days EQ. Thats why it needs a refocus. Quit following ToV/CoV like expansions moving forward, not good, REFOCUS. RETHINK.

go back to your roots.
    RPG focus. How many raids? not many. it wasn't raid heavy.
    Mysterious. TONS of mysterious back in the old days. New expansions of late, ZERO mysteries. predictable and participation vibe is what new expansions give.

This game needs a REFOCUS, if your going duke it out another decade of EQ, at least refocus. More RPG less cater to raiders.

More RPG doesn't mean, more more more kill kill kill, more kill stuff.
    No it means more RPG, RPG is not just kill stuff.

Speaking of kill kill kill, EQ is linear just kill stuff thats all you do in EQ.

This is a good RPG event, for what EQ can do, since its strictly just go kill stuff thats all EQ MMORPG has to offer is go kill stuff nothing else.

1:19 "I have no idea what the significance of this event is" said 14 years ago, and still the issue????? still just ignoring this????
    story of the life of EQ,
    30 expansions, what's going on, "I have no idea but we are 30 expansions deep"
    this is due to ZERO RPG factor, mysteries, storytelling, etc.
    They have a lot of dialogue but its not worth reading, its more a next next next. due to lack of story, after you seen a trend 15 expansions ago of terrible storytelling, you tend to not pay attention because its just a bunch bloat, theres no mystery to solve with it either unlike BACK IN CORE EQ, where it could lead to a mystery something not many know about secret. theres no secrets in current day EQ, well past decade, 2 decades of EQ.

That video is actually a pretty decent event, some thought in it, you got people together, thats how modern MMORPG is, a bunch of people together, that are not necessary in the same guild and what not too, its not a guild event nor coordinated raid. It's bunch of random people doing an event thats NORMAL for modern MMORPG, thats RARE for EQ though.
    In EQ, people cry for their own instance, what is 40 other people doing here, I want my own instance!!! AKA LS, Laurion Inn. When are the instances coming??? I do not like other people in an MMORPG. Modern day MMORPGs, oh theres 100 people, nice I'm in a good instance (instances in modern games cap at like 120 players or so, seeing 100 people thats good sign, not like EQ where its time to whine about too many people I want my own instance)

Good things that EQ did have, but they did not focus on and actually take its success seriously.
    Anniversary event where you get turned into a gnome and race drunk.
    Happens what every 2 hours or so.

Thats what they call in other games META EVENTS.

Just because EQ has it, doesn't mean quit doing it. That event is decades old.
    This is thread about refocus, do fun stuff again.
    Quit talking about, back in the old days it was fun, do it today.

Quit being cater to raiders, EQ is just kill stuff thats it, kill stuff aint nothing to this game besides killing stuff. ZERO RPG factor. ZERO mysteries. ZERO just mingling with others.
    Too much focus on killing stuff, no time to mingle, not time for RPG, there is no RPG, zone is 99.99% all KoS mobs. ZERO RPG here anyways. Only safe areas are just NPCs to give you spells and what not, ZERO factor to those NPCs.
  5. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

This is the forum equivalent of "I dont drink any more. I dont drink any less, but I dont drink any more"
    Goranothos and Flatchy like this.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Refocusing to the roots does sound good as long as it does not turn into expansions like ToV. The devs should think more about the essence of what made EQ so successfull in the first two years. Copying just zone layouts does not work well, even that EoK and RoS had a nice revamped design. But they lacked lore and mysteries.

I would like to see more cutscenes with spoken or just pictured text as in the Mines of Gloomingdeep tutorial or in one of those Dead Hills prog tasks, with the camera fly. Old RPGs and adventures from the 90s were so much better in telling good stories, using cutscenes, intros and outros. They were simple but effective. All in all it is about a little bit more love for the game.

My stinky stein ...

Ultima 7 - Serpent Isle - Intro

This one for its great atmosphere and mysteriousness:

Just a picture and music. Now add some text and/or spoken words. Imagine this being one of those gypsy trailers in North Karana. What stories do they have to tell. Which adventures do await us there ?
  7. Brickhaus Augur

I would quit Everquest and hire a lawyer to demand all my money ever spent in EQ back if they added cut scenes to real content. The Dead Hills one I hated, but at least it was actual use of in game footage.

The tutorial intro is bad enough. It's why I no longer start characters in the tutorial.
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

It is a good thing you don't play FFXIV. Some of their equivalent to our missions have 5 minutes of cut scenes before combat begins, and another few cut scenes in between combat phases. And unlike SWTOR, you can't spacebar your way through them.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Cut scenes are fine the first time, but after the first time we should be able to disable them. A bit like hitting esc button in the tutorial.

I enjoyed the first run through of Deadhills, not not the ones after for alts. I'd rather get back to the killing.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

Mysteries is in NPCs don't have markers on top of them. Achievements not exploiting the mysteries.

Mystery is like, NPC who is this, is this NPC important, is there any secret quest with this NPC anything with NPC related to secrets.

Same with NPC patterns like spawn pattern, shows up for 10 mins certain of day and what not.

Can consider that a mystery, a ton of stuff unique.

Uniqueness, Mystery, Secret. core EQ did pretty good job. Current day EQ, past decade past 2 decades. Not much in this category if any.

Same with RPG factor. Sometimes you'd learn the secrets from doing RPG and stumbling upon these secrets.