AFK Mages in Old Zones

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bilbo Backpackens, May 3, 2024.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I think you need to get a better hobby. I don't do this, because I'm a stickler for rules, but c'mon? You're worried about some guy that is probably working on slayers in some random old zone? Freaking HOA level Karening.

The script bot teams I get reporting, but this is like reporting some guy using a fishing macro. And you get dumb customer service people responding to these sometimes and doing silly things, like banning a WARRIOR in my guild once for "afk pet killing" when he went afk for a few minutes doing something while working on slayers, and ONE mob started attacking him.

Silliness.
  2. Bilbo Backpackens Lorekeeper

I mean, you react strongly enough to respond on the forums of a 25 year old elf simulator. We're not so different, you and I.

Honestly though, I never get responses like this. Daybreak has time and again asked us to report people who do this. And forums are made for players to talk about the current state of the game. But any post about problems always gets at least one person upset someone spoke up.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

"See something, say something"

Good for guy leaving a backpack on (seemingly) purpose on a train and walking away.

Not good for finding a cop to complain about someone jaywalking.

Beyond just being a pain in the behind to people that aren't really affecting you, you're wasting the time and resources of the people enforcing both on the minor issue.
    Duder and CatsPaws like this.
  4. FGgn479n nf933 New Member

Conversely; if your not going to evenly enforce an in-game rule, it should be removed.

Its not that hard of a concept; if you the game operators, either cannot or won't bother enforcing one of your rules evenly across the player-base, it should simply be dropped.

AFK botting? Seems to be allowed for 95% of players who know how to game the GMs.. just drop that rule already

AFK farming? Same. Automation software? same. Show EQ? Same

I've given up, the bots won. I'm guessing on an average night EQ's human:bot/automated ratio is about like the internet as a whole... nearing 50/50.

i still maintain this is how EQ eventually dies.. not with a bang but the whisper of thousands of bot accounts farming drops and putting them up in the bazaar for.. no one as all the humans stopped playing.
    menown and Bilbo Backpackens like this.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No one drives in New York City, there is too much traffic.

Solipsism is the root of 99% of these kind of complaints about "bot armies".

Do they exist? Sure. Do they haven an effect on most players? No. Not directly or indirectly. Might as well be talking about crime on tv news programs. Its a national emergency! Except its not. Things used to be safer! Except they weren't.

Or calling things "miracles". Its a "miracle" I survived the fire! Except if you didn't, you wouldn't be here to even consider it in the first place. Its a "miracle" I won the lottery! I was chosen! Except if you lost, you'd not ask the question either.

If something is DISRUPTING YOUR GAMEPLAY, then sure, report it. If it has no effect on you, move on with your life.

Its like all the krono "lord" comments on TLPs. Based off the bazaar and general auction lines, there are a couple people that play the krono "game" every TLP. But that's it. There aren't hundreds of people out there causing game disruption to mess with YOUR play just to earn krono. And all but 1-2 of those people are just doing day trading anyway, so other than changing the PRICE of krono by trying to monopolize them, they have zero effect on us actually playing that don't use them.
    Genoane and alanus like this.
  6. Bilbo Backpackens Lorekeeper

Define disrupting. You might define it as something direct, like trains or kill stealing or something.

But there's a reason daybreak has a wider definition. These bots disrupt the economy. If you can farm thousands of platinum worth of drops an hour, every hour, every day, on as many accounts as you want, that effects the economy.

Maybe you'll say "the economy is already borked!" That would be a pretty lazy argument that could be used against trying to fix anything. I guess I'm not ready to give up.
    Cidran likes this.
  7. Bilbo Backpackens Lorekeeper

Just had to also throw in that this made me laugh. My forum name has no relation to an in game character, I'm an anonymous nobody on the forums. How I gain from this 'self centered act', besides maybe helping Daybreak with the game I play, in a way they ask me to, is beyond me.
    Cidran likes this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No, the reason DBG has a wider definition is that they cannot possibly list every single little or big infraction parameter. They have said this in the past that they will not give specifics cause if they did then some smart aleck player will find a way around that and other Karen's will flood them with reports, more so then now.

I stay in my own lane. I do not care what others are doing and if they want to farm like that then so what? Hurt the economy? Hah, they are keeping the game alive. Without them there would be no economy since kibbles and bits players could not possibly rotate that much plat and krono into the game.

I think a lot of players get on the soapbox about this because they are jealous.
    Genoane and Metanis like this.
  9. Bilbo Backpackens Lorekeeper

I would have to disagree. They in the past have gone out of their way to protect the economy. The fact they actually enforce on reports as opposed to ignore them completely shows that.

They keep the economy alive because they bring plat into the system? The economy would be fine with less plat in the system. You make it out like the game needs massive inflation to stay alive. Kronos would still pass around if there was less plat. They would just not cost 5 million or more (prices on xegony at least).
    Cidran likes this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

The botters and afk farmers are not needed to keep the economy stable. Instead they do destroy the economy by the huge pp inflation and players have to buy much less Kronoj than in the past as the Krono value got increased drastically since 2019, and there is no end in sight. On AB it was 2 mio pp in 2019, now it is 5.5 or even 6 mio pp, which is an inflation rate of >=55% per year. On the other side the pp value got reduced drastically by those farmers that do mine/farm/create platinum pieces, and are flooding the market with them.

The crafting market is a joke now, as less players are willing to pay fair prices, as their mind is still hooked years in the past with small prices. Crafters have to sell way underpriced and many stopped selling. New and returning players have to decide between farming pp, buying a Krono, or going to quit. Farming pp and buying a Krono is not attractive to most of them, even that Kronoj do offer a high value, so an increasing amount of them does quit instead, as they don't have a clue about economy and math. And many new/returning players just don't know about the existence of Kronoj and that they could be sold ingame for (huge amounts) of pp. Most people just want to play cheap, at least for the start.
    Marton likes this.
  11. fransisco Augur

ehh... I'd say crafting has ALWAYS been like that. Unless you are riding the first wave of new recipies, you always feel like prices are too low.
    Plus so many can craft now because of the Zek earing and the evil tradeskill augment. It pushed ALOT of people to max tradeskills, so having the skills to make stuff isn't rare anymore.
    There is only 1 reason to sell under cost for crafting - because you made the items for skill ups (often to 350). Current expac gear has easy to get mats cause everyone is getting them, so you will naturally see a glut of those items for sale. I Ran into this on the way to 350, I'd get alot of conflagarant or whatever that I made for skill ups and have to dump it. I could sell it for cheap to move it and recover cost, or wait 6 months and hope. I sold it for cheap instead.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I love farmers without them i couldnt sell in the baz. Ive made many sellers many millions of pp. Why do people report them anyways not like anything is gonna happen to them.
    Genoane likes this.
  13. Kakimor New Member

There is a plat farmer who has been operating on Bristlebane for at least 7 yrs if not longer. Not always with same crew of characters, but they have a bad habit of selling to one NPC. Great find for someone who NPC farms mats to resell in bazaar. Nothing like opening a NPC inventory and finding thousands (10s) of multiple TS mats for sale !! Then you see 20 other sold items that are non TS, and there are upward of over 100, 000 of them sold to this one npc. Start doing the math on what that translates into plat then times that per month > year and it quickly adds up to a staggering amount.
    BUT .... in that time I have seen price of Krono go from 2 mil pp to 5 to 5.5 mil pp. I have to ask myself is it because of individuals like this that are farming millions of plat per month that is devaluing plat and inflating krono value on the server.
    I kept tabs on this NPC for a couple years and purchased 100s of thousands of TS mats to resell in baz so I was complicit in their (mis)behaviour. Burned out > left game for 4 yrs > returned and sure enough same NPC has massive amounts of items sold to them.
    I purchased all but 1 of several TS mats then AFKed where I could pick up NPC greeting for 72 hours. A pattern of every 12 hours or so the same group of chars would pay the npc a visit and at the end of that time period the items i reduced to 1 had grown to 100s and thousands in some cases. My assumption is that its the same individual that was doing it 5 yrs ago.
    Bilderov likes this.
  14. Iven the Lunatic

There are more factors beside the platinum farmers that do influence and raise the Krono price, but they most likely do have the biggest impact by causing platinum inflation. Keep in mind that the Krono price is fictional and might be just a bubble. An increasing demand for Krono would also raise the price; and a smaller supply.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  15. Peter_The_great Elder

Wonder if there are bots who reports human users?
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

Their new anti-warping detection is apparently just that. It looks for toons "warping" and gives them a 24 hour ban...even if the "warping" is from things like CoTH or mobs moving you around as part of a script.
  17. alanus Augur

While I am no fan of AFK farmers, the huge influx of PP that increased krono prices so much wasn't from AFK farmers. That influx of plat was really fast, way faster than someone farming 40k worth of VT every hour in a zone could produce. At least on Tunare the price increase stopped. It did go from 1.8-5 mil pretty quickly but has been steadily at 5 mil for over a year now.
  18. Kakimor New Member

I estimate my plat farmer nets over 150 million plat per month ... I calculated this based on value of the 10 items they have sold the most of to the npc since last patch and it came to over 75 million plat worth. Not the 10 highest value items just the 10 with highest total that were visible on the NPC.

150 million per month for at least 7 years .....

Tell me that doesn't mess with a servers economy especially if they turn around an purchase krono with the proceeds.

Oh did i forget to mention that 15-18 characters show up at aforementioned NPC at regular intervals to sell.
  19. Febb Augur

I play a mage and CoTH the rest of my box crew around all the time and I haven't been suspended. So there is more to it than just CoTH.
  20. Kakimor New Member

I went one step further and calculated what this individual is possibly earning in real world $$ if they are selling plat and or krono on third party sites and it came to 1000s of dollars per month potentially.

IE Krono = 5 to 5.5 mil plat on server 27 to 30 per month x $11 to $14 per krono .... times that by 12

Admittedly there is no saying that many krono are sold on server per month or that many customers buy them from third party vending sites but over the period of a year and across servers .....