Human vs iskar on live

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Dallo, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Dallo New Member

Coming from p99 I know there is a huge difference but on the upcoming tlp server does regen make any difference come late game? I want to make a human Monk for old-time sake but I like to Min Max too
  2. Annastasya Augur

i couldn't pinpoint a level, but racial differences are practically indistinguishable by 75 or so. And continue to diminish from there. They probably make the biggest differences from 1-30 but even there, gear can even out or overcome such advantages, on live servers. TLP's, assume it depends on what expansions/levels are open.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Here's a chart with the regeneration of Iksar and Trolls vs. other races: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/Racial_Regeneration

It barely seems worth much at all, even at lower levels. Starting at level 51 it starts to seem like quite an improvement but at that point how many total HP do you have? Quite enough for this to not matter.

It's really more flavor than anything very useful.

When you consider that monks can Mend, it is even less useful. Beginning level 74, AAs reduce the mend timer to the point of by level 90 you can mend every 30 seconds for most or all of your HP.
  4. GnomeGnomeGnome Elder

I have never been in a group or raid, where my cleric, or any healer, felt the load lessened because of Iksar regen. It will help you slightly reduce down time if you are solo, but dont expect too much. I guess everyone has their own opinion, but the only racial traits that make any difference are tinkering for a gnome, or stun immunity for a tank. But even those are not worth playing a character you dont like.
  5. strongbus Augur

the only thing a iksar is good for is to skin to make leather boot and belts
    Exmortis_MT likes this.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Oh, didn't knew that iksar do also receive the HP regen bonus. Thought that it's only AC beside the unimportant skills like swimming. Iksar do also receive the tail strike attack skill ...

Famous last words, Mr. Gnome.

[IMG][IMG]
    Flatchy likes this.
  7. code-zero Augur

Iksar AC and regen bonus is noticeable at low levels when you're still in low grade armor. The difference begins to go away gradually starting about 30~
  8. fransisco Augur

Its good that racial bonuses stop mattering. Thats why 99% of shamans are ogres for example - that frontal stun immunity. When there is a very clearly optimal choice, there is no choice. You choose the good one, or you are stuck with a bad one. It can also lead to descrimination because if a guild needs 1 member of X class, why go with the bad race? Fortunately the ogre thing isn't as big a deal anymore, so the kitty/troll shamans get some love (barbarian shamans aren't real).

Thats what happened to trolls. Their regen was neat in classic (before ooc regen and such). Yet they were saddled with the worst exp penalties (even though ogres were better).
    code-zero likes this.
  9. code-zero Augur

The Inny necklace snare clicky for Troll Shaman is about the only reason to go Troll. At higher levels with the various stun resist AA for some classes the frontal melee stun immunity fades as an advantage but really Ogre is the way and I don't really like Ogres to actually play
    fransisco likes this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

I do disagree with that argument.

The game is more boring without the racial differences: Bonuses and maluses. Both "categories" were great additions to roleplay and immersion and added so much flavor. Even human and barbarian night blindness was interesting, and it gave light sources a right to exist. It also made the nights thrilling and dangerous.

It would be great if most racial bonuses and maluses could be re-integrated and evolved to fit to the higher levels. Removing faerune from helmets would be a good start. What else is the point of having different races and classes with spells like levi, see invis, and EB ? The appearance does not matter much anymore with tons of illusion clickies, spells and potions around.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

12. Iven the Lunatic

The original troll models have or had much roleplay flavor and the HP regen bonus was part of that. I would prefer to play a troll shaman over an ogre, just because of that flavor. Barbarian is also interesting as a shaman, but a little bit to conventional, and way to similar to the human race. Frontal stun immunity is OPep, so that racial ability should be nerfed and converted into a resist chance, like 30%, and from all sides, instead being a 100% chance.
    code-zero likes this.
  13. Flatchy Court Jester

:eek: Well at least we are not Iksars! I thought they were supposedly the most hated race in Norrath.
  14. fransisco Augur

I really do miss faction mattering. Not just good towns but evil town where you're equally stuck as a good race.