[feature request] /safelock

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Windance Augur

Please make it so you have to type the entire command. ( or remove it entirely )

This feature request brought to you after getting killed because I was trying to type something like:

/rs a ... and ended up dropping the s and getting "/saf"

Thank you kindly,
    ps. rez please.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sept 2019

*** Miscellaneous ***

- The /safelock command now requires typing the full command in order to function to prevent accidental locking of the game. This should help in real life when kerrans are frisking your keyboard and manage to lock the game with a secret safelock password.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=37765

Perhaps this should be a bug report instead if yours is not working?
    Iven, Yinla and Nennius like this.
  3. Windance Augur

In that case I have no idea how I did it, but while in combat I was trying to type something in /rs and got "safe locked".

It happens about once a year and every time I curse the one who thought this was a good feature.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. Brickhaus Augur

You are the only person ... ever ... that I have heard of this happening to. [edit - after the patch]

You must be very talented.

Check your logs. If the game is taking a shortcut for /safelock, then as mentioned, you should bug it. Otherwise ... live with it once a year. Tunare knows there are many stupid things I do in game that I've just learn to accept and live with.
  5. Drewie Augur

This was reported in 2019, as well as accidentally typing /sy instead of /say which would trigger the potentially dangerous /system command. Anyway, people kept reporting being somehow safelocked even after the patch.
    Duder and Arraden like this.
  6. JetZeppelin2h Augur

What is safelock? Can you use it to keep the spare gnomes that will be cooked for dinner in it?
    fransisco and Nennius like this.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I wonder if the command parser is not using the space as a deliminator and is just continuing to look down the line and when it sees all the letters anything after is the lock.
  8. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Why would anyone type /say?
    Just use ' and start typing
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Type /ex to fix that !
    /saf does nothing here, just like SplitPaw :p did mentioned.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

It is the command to protect the game from the CatsPaws.
    fransisco and Nennius like this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

And his sidekick "Kitty Litter".
    Flatchy likes this.
  12. Laronk Augur

You can change your default to something not /say like /guild or /group im pretty sure.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Curious: If you type /safelock how do you unlock the game?
    Arraden likes this.
  14. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I think it wants you to make a password at least according to a post in Drewie's link.
  15. Iven the Lunatic

The command does only work with a password. Same text line to unlock the interface.
  16. Arraden Augur

Since requesting the change, I had a few instances where I was still being safelocked.
    However, I've not had an issue since late 2021, thankfully. That's not to say any changes were implemented since the full command flag was placed on that has removed the chance of an accidental lock happening.

It's a curious one for anyone who experiences the unintentional locking - just comes out of the blue.
  17. Arraden Augur

essentially, you would type /safelock [random password] to lock and then /safelock [random password] to unlock
  18. Gesiah Elder

This happened to me on raids many times last year. I'd attempt to type in raid say and would actually be safelocking my pc with the password being whatever it was I just typed to the raid. It was fun times trying to figure out what exactly I just said to unlock my game without exiting out completely.
    Duder likes this.
  19. Windance Augur

Which is really fun because you can't type /camp, /exit, even hitting the close button doesn't work when "safe locked". In my panic to get reset I open the task manager to kill the process.
  20. JetZeppelin2h Augur

You know you can just shift up and it puts the last text you type in chat. I don't know if safelock is hidden from that ability but I would guess it isn't so if you safelock by mistake and don't know the password just hit shift up and enter and it should unlock. For those who don't know about pulling up last command you can go through multiple lines you have typed doing this but not sure what the max limit is but I use it all the time when playing and I would assume anyone who is posting LFG or WTB message just uses shift up so they don't have to retype the entire command again.
    Duder likes this.