Random boot to desktop - No message

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Basak, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Basak Augur

I am randomly getting booted to desktop. Not to character select, not to server select, the game just up and shuts itself off as if I hit /exit. It sometimes happens multiple times in a row, sometimes it doesn't happen for days, and everywhere in-between. It is not based on account as I can log in the account on another computer and every account I use on the computer does the same thing. I have tried to delete/reset the UI to default but the issue still occurs. It happens while pushing buttons or even if I am not pushing buttons, there doesn't seem to be any correlation between getting booted and keyboard/mouse clicks. It has been going on for months now and I have rebooted my computer multiple times over the months.

If anyone has any idea what can cause this I would be most appreciative.
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

no Idea I had it a few times in the past and I use clicked that Cog wheel and validated
  3. moogs Augur

EverQuest\Logs\dbg.txt is likely to inform you on the cause.
  4. Quicksand New Member

Could be a fire wall/av allowance issue.

Or your CPUs overheating

Update video/sound drivers? Reinstalling video drivers?

So many things possible. What is your windows?
  5. Basak Augur

Thank you. At first I thought I was triggering truebox code and it was booting me, but it was happening on live and test servers as well and also if I am not pushing any buttons just random drop to desktop.

I checked Firewall and everything is good there.
    I monitor my CPU and there is nothing going on there.
    Video/Sound drivers are all up to date, I even did a complete reinstall of Windows to see if that helped.
    I am running on Windows 11 Home edition and Windows 11 Pro edition. It is affecting all my Windows 11 systems but not my older windows systems.

So I have it narrowed down to an issue with Windows 11 and I can not figure it out.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I read somewhere on these forums that if your crashing on Windows 11, get rid of "Game Mode" Don't just turn it off, but use Powershell to remove it. That is the x box thing on win 11. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-uninstall-xbox-game-bar-on-windows-pc

I would hesitate to remove anything without further checking what it does etc

Cruising thru the forums I found some other ideas some one else mentioned:

decided it might be a problem with my graphics card. But I tried several and no joy.
    Then I booted without a graphics card at all.
    Problem solved. No crashes, no lag. Been a couple months now and I’ve done every raid in the expansion repeatedly with no issues.

And one other was to delete zone files (this is ok cause they rebuild automatically as soon as you log back in) and also to run a file verification with the little wheel