EverQuest 3

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Matthew, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Matthew New Member

EverQuest, from the time it was released, to the release of Luclin, means more to me than life itself. The times I had on this game, and the memories I have of it, are some of the best memories and times I've had in my life. When Everquest came out, there was no Facebook, or Myspace. No Youtube, no Tiktok or Instagram. It was like the biggest social media platform out. And everyone was trying to level up, quest with each other, kill some mobs and get some awesome items. I was 14 years old, and I remember my brother telling me those people that just ran by him in the game where actually real people all over the world playing with him. It blew my mind. He was running through Neriak and I instantly fell in love. I got it as soon as I could, and began my journey as a Dark Elf Shadowknight slaying beetles and skeletons at the "noobie log". Everquest, to me, is Classic. Your classic starting zones, your classic races, classes, weapons, dungeons, continents ect.....It may be just me. but if Everquest 3 doesn't have the same starting zones as classic, the same NPCS and zones, I'm going to be heart broken. I just want to run through Neriak again, seeing everything I used to, but with a new added storyline to whats going on there. I want all the same zones, up to Planes of Power. Things may have changed since EQ1 but hey, it's still the same places, you just get to revisit them and have a whole new adventure. EQ 3 without Epic weapons will just be pointless to me. Epics where the heart of Everquest to me. The pinnacle of success, and it's what everyone aspired to have in the game. The fact that they don't keep Epics updated in EQ is one of the reasons why I've lost interest in it. Epics made EQ special. Of course the classes and races just wouldn't be the same if they didn't stay true. I would actually be 100% satisfied if they just remade EQ1 with new graphics, added some stuff and called it EQ3. I love Everquest more than anyone will ever know, but the graphics in 2024 make it seem like a waste of time. Why live in the past. I would love to see the heart of EQ remade for everyone to experience all over again with great visuals in a new game engine. I would probably never stop playing it. So what do you guys think? Should they remake the game basically and stay true to Classic or should they just create a whole new story line with no old zones? For me, I don't think there would be anything cooler than wielding Innoruuks Curse after questing in all the old zones redone in bad graphics. I honestly think you could bring back so many people to relive the old legacy if you just stayed true to the maps, the zones, and the lore.
  2. Canloe Nusback Journeyman

Without original Norrath it would not be EverQuest. It should have all the old starting locations and zones but in a slightly different context and with better graphics and zone dimensions. Like releasing region by region and not all starting locations and races at once. Hopefully it will not be as bad as EQ II, which was a disaster. It didn't had anything to do with EverQuest beside some well known names. EQ3 should continue where original EQ had ended 25 years ago, with all known flaws being corrected. Kunark and Velious could be added, but there is no need for another Luclin, GoD, OoW expansions imo, as that was a point when EQ got weird. Instead I would like to see more from the original three continents and the surrounding isles. Much more. I can imagine that the Plains of Karana and the surrounding mountains would be an expansion on their own, or even multiple expansions. Same for the Faydark, the isle of Odus, and the Ocean of Tears. Make Norrath (= Antonica, Faydwer, Odus) big !
  3. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

From the start, the game needs to be developed with a modern game engine, such as Unreal or Unity. Yeah the license would be expensive, but EQ3 needs to be the new flagship title for DayPaw. Both would from what little I know of them, make development and maintenance easy compared to a proprietary custom engine. Gameplay needs to be familiar in regards to controls, but beautiful as a modern game should be. No potato mode. Spells and abilities should be as minimal in quantity as possible, yet be easily upgradable. They have access to multiple games in their back pocket so to speak, from which to adopt how to do this. Upgrades SHOULD include a crafted means, and one means from questing rewards.

Crafting needs to be the backbone of a player driven economy. The system needs to be easily adopted by players, have a clear path of advancement, and aside from say epic quest rewards and the most legendary gear, be the top of the line gear in the game. For the best items or versions of them, quested or looted resources can tie into crafting. I don't think most players would want or like systems as complex as those found in Star Wars Galaxies or EVE Online, but IMHO a system similar to the one in LOTRO would be a good fit. Advancement needs to be clear, and not rely on an RNG algorithm for a slim chance to advance per combine.

As far as krono, well Pandora's box has already been opened. No escaping them in a new EQ title. However, I implore the devs to look at how PLEX are used in EVE Online, and the cosmetic store therein. Maybe allow krono to be converted to a currency that can only be used in that store. All items in the store need to be cosmetic only. Krono would of course remain tradable, and converted for additional All Access time.

Speaking of cosmetics, the devs should take a close look at the one LOTRO uses, or even EQII. Any item that can be visible, should be available for use. Costume slots per character per account can be initially small, with additional slots available for purchase (see the cosmetic store idea above).

I have more ideas and suggestions, but I have a 1200 mile drive ahead of me, and need to get up and going.
  4. Canloe Nusback Journeyman

Bah, you broke the big wall of text. :(
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

EQ3 has a LOT to prove.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Wall_Of_Text swings at you, but MISSES!
  7. Tachyon Augur

you can't turn back time
  8. Zansobar Augur

The first thing to prove is that it actually exists. I'm very doubtful.
  9. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

It's been mentioned a few times already that it is officially in the early stages of development.
  10. maxisbored New Member

Just like Everquest Next?
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

EQNext made it quite a ways into development, not sure what you're going on about.
  12. maxisbored New Member

I was pointing out that something being "officially in development" means absolutely nothing.
    Not sure what I'm going on about? That was my first post in almost a month. You seem to be upset. Maybe it's time for a break, friend.
  13. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

You're transferring. I'm not upset about anything. Interesting how you assume tone in a text comment, that is not at all implied.
    Canloe Nusback likes this.
  14. Canloe Nusback Journeyman

It was still only in the ideation phase in 2023, but it was announced that the development is planned to start in 2025.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...he-ideation-phase-of-eq3.297725/#post-4307374
  15. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Ideation sounds a lot like "developing" ideas to me.
  16. Canloe Nusback Journeyman

Then EQ3 would be in development since more than ten years already. It is now just getting more concrete, and it might be just another EQ Next in Elden Ring style. The unfinished problems with EQ might delay that project by another few years, as the assistance of the EQ devs is strongly required for the new project. The current conditions for a quality successor are not really good at the moment. The project is currently in the dev recruitment phase. Some of them would then work on EQ to compensate the transfer of the current devs, that are going to work on EQ3.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

Funny they scrapped EQ next because it wasn't fun and now Voxel games are huge.
  18. Canloe Nusback Journeyman

The "it wasn't fun" argument was most likely an excuse. They just were not able to produce the game as in the video demos everything was fake.
    Nennius likes this.
  19. fransisco Augur

I don't think requiring certain zones is as important as the zone design itself. Part of the charm was all the odd stories and mysteries and such. I don't mean the "lack of exploration", but stuff like the hints of mayong in original eq, the Sphinxes, the all the wierd stories and side stuff.
    Modern eq is very linear with 1 story. A solid base for a new game would need all the little nooks and cranies to fall into. FFXIV still has that, you have the main quest chain, and then a pile of side quests and stories that are totally unrelated to progression.

As well, at a minimum zones need to change. If its just "east commons" and "north ro" again, it will inevitably be compared to the old versions. Nothing can win in such a comparison. Instead, have a desert or the plans before the haunted woods, but don't just repeat the old stuff. A good way is to change when the game is set. Different names, different terrain.

Say some magic war put a volcano in the middle of the karana plains, or the humans burned down nektulos. Make things different so that the game can stand on its own instead of being a retread.