Anyone notice people really want tormax to fail?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Taladir Augur

Are you being purposely obtuse about Truebox? Yes, Truebox did not exist in 1999, but neither did playing multiple instances of EverQuest in windowed mode. Hardware didn't support that, and it was a much more immersive experience when the game was new and everyone was playing their character.

Do you actually not realize that Truebox was created to simulate the original EQ experience and not make it further apart? The image link is broken in the original post, but it showed 6 computers set up with their own keyboards and mice.

https://www.everquest.com/news/phinigel-true-box-progression-server-dec-9-2015
    Rijacki likes this.
  2. Taladir Augur

It wrecked the economy permanently. It was allowed to actively be exploited for a week.
  3. Tachyon Augur

i don't buy stuff, still play on oakwynd
  4. Kahna Augur

How much of an economy does there really need to be on a non-free trade server post PoP? Pretty much everyone has no trade raid gear and replaces that with more no trade raid gear. I guess there is some nice cultural armor and augs but just befriend the guy in your guild who is doing that stuff and get it at cost. Twink armor, I suppose, but with heirloom you can just hand stuff down or go farm it yourself.
    Indigo_Quarmite likes this.
  5. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

100% - Economy has very little meaning beyond PoP.
  6. Bernel Augur

One reason I think people are upset is that there are limited resources for EQ servers. Players want the resources to serve the most people as possible. I'm sure there are a subset of players who would enjoy any ruleset, but if it's just a small set of players who enjoy a ruleset, then it's not an efficient use of those EQ servers. The players as a whole would prefer to have rulesets that make all the servers popular.

As an analogy, imagine your workplace created a breakroom, but it was geared around for knitting. Certainly the knitters in the office would be overjoyed, but the rest of the employees would be upset that the limited breakroom space was designed around a small group of the employees. Overall, the employees as a whole would want a breakroom that most of the employees would enjoy.

If EQ had tons of resources and could create dozens of servers with different rulesets, then no one would care that a server had a ruleset that only appealed to a small subset of the players. But when there are only the resources to create 1 or 2 servers, the rulesets should be such that they are popular enough to have healthy populations.
  7. Piznut Angry Gnome

I mean honestly the Dupe helped me out compared to how things were on Coirnav.

On coirnav in GoD, I think a krono went for about 40-50k? Buying all the GoD armor was rough at ~12k a pop. Plus spells.

It was nice being able to sell a krono for 1-2 mil and never have to worry about affording armor pieces or spells again.
    Tachyon likes this.
  8. SnapVine Augur

the dupe was like the first half of luclin, so what's your point about "past PoP?" just musing about when plat no longer matters (to you)?
    Taladir likes this.
  9. minimind The Village Idiot

Some people are so invested in their exact playstyle (or maybe they're heavily invested in a playstyle being an income generator) that they will apply pressure in seemingly severe ways to improve the chances that they get what they want.

Daybreak is accustomed to this and will trust their data over very obvious pressure tactics.
    Rijacki likes this.
  10. Kahna Augur

Yes, it was. It is arguable that everyone is already in raid gear by then and replacing that raid gear with more raid gear, but I was more referring to folks not getting the server they wanted this year and being "forced" to stay on broken Oakwynd.
  11. Risiko Augur

I don't think that people want Tormax to fail. I just think that people are stating which server ruleset is more popular.

As to your comment about Teek being the more sweaty of the two servers, I think you're wrong. Having played on the Mischief server (same ruleset) when it opened, I can tell you that the Random Loot rule made it so that camping what you wanted was WAY easier. Instead of having to compete with farmers that sit on named spawns 24 hours a day 7 days a week like on every other normal server, you could go find a named monster that was in the same level range and have a shot at getting the loot you needed.

For example, there was no need to compete with the warpers out in Southern Karna for the pegasus for your mage epic. You could get the same thing from other named mobs that were easier to camp.

Another example, is the ancient cyclops. No more shenanigans in OoT competing with the farm crews. You could get the drop from another very easy named mob elsewhere.

The Random Loot rule by far made the server less sweaty than any other server I have ever played on.

Add on top of that the fact that it is a Free Trade server, and it makes it even that much more easier to get what you want. Instead of trying to get a needed item on a class that is not good at soloing anything, you can get it on an alt that can do it easier, and then hand it to your main to use.

Seriously, people referred to the Mischief server as lightning in a bottle because it was the single best TLP rule set ever to come out of DBG. That's why people are going with the Teek server. It isn't because it's a little better. It is because it is VASTLY better than the Tormax rule set.

Honestly, the best thing they could do for Tormax is to have it start in Original EQ rather than the Kunark expansion. At least then it would have something to offer someone as a reason to choose it over the Teek server. But... even at that, those that did choose to go play on Tormax would not be a significant number of people choosing Tormax over Teek. It would be people choosing to play this season's TLP on Tormax where they weren't going to play on either TLP right now.
  12. Sheila Elder

Well FAQ just launched, no changes were made. Good chatting with you guys and see you next year :)
    Brontus and Magneress like this.
  13. IheartEQ Elder

Mischief only had two annoying issues from my experience.

1) Epic items were perma camped because not all items were randomized.
    2) Two weeks prior to a new expansion launch, a lot of players liquidated their gear for krono. It was common to see INT casters raid with several missing slots beyond classic. I was showing up in max gear in order to put out the most damage and/or heals while they were sitting at basically base stats.

It was a fun server until I got the itch for a standard ruleset server again.
    Magneress likes this.
  14. IheartEQ Elder

I was under the impression that you were heading to Mischief. What server ruleset were you hoping to see?
  15. Sheila Elder

I am in the Truebox sucks but give people what they want crowd (IE: If there isn't a demand for non-truebox, I'll accept it and see if they rethink it next year)
  16. IheartEQ Elder

I get that. My EQ life would be so much easier if I could box two characters on my main computer. I would only have to alt-tab to rebuff, port, and occasionally heal.
  17. Soriano Augur

It was not wide spread, but people did 2 box in early 2000 on a single machine. I know because I did...

And I am positive I could have in 1999 at launch had I tried. The biggest issue was RAM...if you had the RAM you could box on a single machine. The 2nd PC on follow needed to have clip plane down to the minimum. or you got what we called the orbiting cleric effect as 80% of all boxes early were Clerics.

No one was trying to play 6+ in 1999 or 2000 but 10 years later it was common place.
    Yinla likes this.
  18. Intercept Augur

Now that we know what the rules will be people can make their choice between Mischief reset server and traditional server or both if you have that kind of time and interest : )

See some of you on Tormax : )
    Magneress likes this.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I started playing in 2001, and I was boxing on the same machine. Nearly made me late to pick my daughter up once or twice from nursery. While I wasn't playing 6 accounts, playing 2 on one machine still isn't truebox.
    Soriano likes this.
  20. Twizle Lorekeeper

People dont want tormax to fail, they just have a respect for their time investment in EQ

If tormax had an increased loot mechanic (like vaniki's double loot or FV free trade) or an xp bonus (Like selo's / FV) it would be a much more even split.