Have you heard of these before?!

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Aeistone, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Aeistone New Member

Damage bombs-
    Unlike a damage shield this is a single explosive consequence of striking a wizard.

With the understood likelihood that a wizard will gain unwanted attention by enemies, this reverses the rune defense approach and takes on a more “offensive is the best form of defense” kind of attitude.

Being on the receiving end of one of these could cause you to lose a couple seconds of memory and thereby not necessarily losing hate for the wizard but for sure having lost the most recent committed interest. Making it not suicide, but argueably only a little crazy. Which wizards should all be understood as at least a little crazy. Put another way, the wizard still takes the hit. but drops top spot in aggro list.
    , and deals a hit greater than a typical nuke.

Maybe it is a thing already. But it certainly would make a fun little old zerker like strategy for the wizard class that encourages achieving the getting of aggro.

---
    Secondly, while im here, how about a new tank class proposal made from hybriding the wizard and enchanter. I did a sophaicated break dowk of every nerd and geek critism, but the simple version is that it wont take away the legit need for any other class, while using runes and longer lasting restored energy barriers to tank with. Couple mild stuns, couple of illusions , projections of hate. Reminds me of the Vanguard Inquisitor mixed with a kind of old fantasy heavy armor sorcerer.

imo considering this tank class can help inspire what to do to develope the enchanters and wizards. Concepts like infusing metals as a tactical spell choice and not crafting. Imagine enchanters offering a living metal blob to group members to temporarly boost AC. Then for this sorcerer it would be apart of a regularly maintained self power.

Same with a space phasing.. 1 second spell that lasts 2 seconds and takes the player out of physical reality while maintaining aggro.

Like i said. Ive worked out responces for objections elsewhere, so I welcome creative ideas that may achieve something!
  2. fransisco Augur

This sounds useful for pvp, but I'm not sure how it works in the eq environment.
    Its never gonna be big enough to kill a mob, as that would be game breaking, so its just a nice nuke if the wizard gets hit. However the wizard needs to pull agro and then get it (and get blood all over those silk pajamas).Intentionally pulling agro is not an advisable way to survive as a caster.
    So its a buff that might get used every once in awhile, but won't end any fight.
  3. error Augur

There are many, many abilities in the game which proc hate reduction on taking damage, including ones usable by wizards like Dimensional Shield. You don't seem to know much about the game so your claim of having "worked out responces for objections" against a "wizard/enchanter hybrid tank" is kind of suspect. In any case, there seems to be technological limitations with the game that prevent them from even adding additional race/class combos, so the chance of them ever adding a new class to EQ is essentially non-existent.
  4. fransisco Augur

Wow calm down. Insulting anyone with a counter opinion isn't a great way to spread ideas.
    Yes there are lots of deagro abilities that proc when hit. This isn't that, its a "do more damage if you get hit" ability. So its primary purpose is to hit the mob more - and to use it you need to have agro.... as a wizard....
    It just feels like it conflicts with some basic eq game design. However if it was castable on a different party member, then it would be more interesting, like if wizards could put it on their tank.
  5. Verily Tjark Augur

It would just be a single charge damage shield that did a lot of damage. I just don’t know how useful it would be unless it had a large hate increase or hate reduction on it. You wouldn’t cast this multiple times during a fight bc it would take away from normal dps.
  6. Szilent Augur

This was already the case for several years in EQ's history. Enchanters with Subtlety disabled were no-jokes the actual best tanks in EverQuest until their Unity self-runes were double nerfed:

[IMG] Enticer's Unity Rk. III
    2017-02-14 19:33 Changed Recast Time from 12.0 seconds to 28.0 seconds

2018-04-20 12:25 Changed Recast Time from 28.0 seconds to 34.0 seconds

from that strenuous reaction once they found out players were playing that way, you can probably guess how EQ's developers felt about caster tanks.
    Verily Tjark likes this.
  7. Verily Tjark Augur

And it was so much fun… the good ole days.
  8. fransisco Augur

Can't let groups function without a plate tank - that would just be wrong....
  9. Szilent Augur

Sure, those. Or the 5 classes that can summon a tank off their spell bar that doesn't need gear & augs & has a hard time being incompetent because they don't have abilities to mis- and under-use.
  10. fransisco Augur

You are very conviently forgetting how a pet can only tank a single mob (and you kinda need to control your agro).
    Tell us more about those pets handling 2-5 mobs at once while you AE them down. No?
    How about those pets who can self heal while fighting? No?
    How about those pets who can out damage dps classes while still filling the precious tank slot. No?
    How about those pets than can hold agro against lots of dots Surely necros never have this issue. No?

Funny how the "pets are OP" falls apart when you compare them to tanks that aren't bad and maybe even use abilities - or anything more than just autoattack. Any tank who is threatened by a pet is categorically a bad tank.

If you want pets "in their place", lets put tanks in their place too - no self healing cause it negates healers, and WAY less dps than a pet cause it negates dps classes.

/crickets
  11. Szilent Augur

Fighting 2-5 enemies at once isn't a prerequisite for a group to function.
    Nor is AEing anything.

Shaman, magician, necromancer, and beastlord summoned pets "self heal", which is to say their summoner can heal them, with near infinitely more facility than warriors, one of the three plate tanks you mention. Enchanter can't, but could rune? but healing is kinda sorta supposed to be a whole separate job from tanking, in EQ.

Those pets are part of the dps classes you're worried about competing with, so no idea what you're on about there. Pets deal great damage because they come with a whole summoner attached to them!

Funny how you insert the "pets are OP" phrase in this thread, maybe as if you're seeking a highly flammable effigy to attack instead of actually conversing with people.

You've wholly fabricated in your head something I want with pets. I have no problem with pets. I have a problem with people acting put-upon because they can't do literally everything solo with the facility of a full group covering all archetypes.

*stomps the cricket*(?)
    Cadira likes this.
  12. fransisco Augur

Moving the goal posts. Its incredibly disengenuous to pretend that handling more than 1 mob at a time isn't a common and standard tank task, much less the serious agro advantage a real tank gives on a mob.
    Again, if you think pets are seriously taking away group slots from tanks, you are a very bad tank
  13. Szilent Augur

You keep hitting Reply to me, but arguing against some position that I haven't taken, sentiments I haven't expressed, statements I haven't made. I think maybe you're not okay, at least where this …issue(?) is concerned, so maybe you & I will reconnect in some other venue.

Happy hunting.