Anyone notice people really want tormax to fail?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Apr 19, 2024.

1. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Noone is obsessed with Tormax. Just pointing out it's lackluster ruleset (which has been there for many recent TLPs).
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I've been trying to get my head around their thinking, while it looks lazy, it depends on what they really wanted as a second server.

To me it would make sense to do an anniversary server as close to the original as they could, but if that was the case starting in Kunark is illogical.

Non truebox would make sense on a close to the original as we can get server, as back in 1999 there was no truebox.

I do wonder if they have yet to realise Tormax will be nothing like Anduane. I also wonder if they went for a copy of the name rather than calling it a copy of one of the other servers Anduane copied or copies which came later.

Anything other than a Mischief clone going up against a Mischief clone was always going to be the under dog.

The could have made Tormax special while still being a standard server, specials reward for completing certain content or levels or something to make it a celebration of 25 years.

Ok, now I've thought about it......yes your right......it was lazy.
    Sheila likes this.
  3. Weathervane New Member

I absolutely do not want Tormax to fail, but I’m also not going to roll on a server that’s not going to be fun. In the current incarnation of Tormax we are getting the same rules as Phinny/Coirnav/Mangler/Aradune/Yelinak with the only twist being a Kunark start. Nothing about that is exciting or unique for EQ25 and I’d love to see them make changes to the proposed rules. Teek will likely be full to the gills as people either recycle off Mischief for a fresh start or play RL/FT on a TLP for the first time. Very Vanilla Tormax is just another dead horse.
  4. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

When people think a ruleset is very lackluster, they post that. It doesn't mean they want a server to fail. That is some absurd conclusion we have seen earlier for Oakwynd. A few dozen posters disliking a ruleset does not result in the server being dead in terms of population. If a server population is dead, it definitely is due to ruleset, bugs etc ( as Oakwynd has shown thanks to the legacy AA exp inaction for a month and depot bug wrecking economy for a week)
  5. splitpaw New Member

I want tormax to fail. Jchan needs to learn to pay more attention to the players of her game.
  6. Magneress Augur

Not *EVERYONE* butt ya

I've missed the boat on all 15 TLPs at launch. Tormax sounds cool and I like it. Oakwynd is great, butt not totally classic, either. I wish Tormax had FTE, No Raid Lockouts, and Faster EXP and that was it, A LOT Of people would disagree with me on that, and I can respect them there.
    Rijacki likes this.
  7. MMOer Augur

I played every year. Every server except the years where two released.

So many memories. So many good times. So many raid guild I stopped even trying to remember them.

The 1st few servers were train wrecks, lol.

Quests that were in the game that were not suppose to me.

The crashes so bad they had to wipe the servers and restart.

The good old days before the put the queue in and the 250 player cap.

People don't remember that pain... these days during launch I enjoy siting in queue, talking mess on the boards, its a good time event for me.

I am happy every year we get to do this again... because one year we wont be able to.

I've been playing TLPs longer than EQ at this point... im more nostalgic for the TLPs than EQ.

As far as the OP and people want Tormax to die... I made posts on how to fix it. Suggestions to balance the populations. I dont want it to die... but I also am not going to stick my head in the sand and hum a tune that it wont be very very low pop while Teek with be queued.

Unfortunately I have very little sway over this game other than posting helpful thoughts, info and suggestions.

If I win the lotto I will buy the IP and run it better. Until then I am happy with what we get.
    Kraked likes this.
  8. Soriano Augur

The producers letter told us WHY they decided on these two rules sets.

They named Mischief and Aradune the most popular TLP's ever...

Mischief it is easy to see why...Aradune was more about it being 2020 and early in the pandemic and also special limitations and the promise of GM presence. Neither of which came true.

Tormax is doomed because to claim Aradune as popular without the context of when it launched shows a detachment from reality.
    dwiguslowater and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  9. Goomba Journeyman

We want it to fail because there was literally tens of thousands of views on the posts about Jokewynd being set up to fail. They didnt listen. Teek = good. Tormax = ghost town. Daylight is out of touch with its customer base which is foolish. I dont care, Teek is what 98% of people want. Tormax will die and have to be merged with some other garbage server
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  10. Intercept Augur

Whatever keeps people coming back after 25 years must be working, nice of them to make a server for those who enjoyed Mischief by making another server that closely resembles that server while at the same time creating a traditional TLP server that many of us who have been here over the last 25 years also enjoy and keeps us coming back.
  11. Intercept Augur

Tormax will be fine thank you very much, have fun on Teek : )
  12. Intercept Augur

The reason you say it won't be fun are the same reasons I still play this game and enjoy coming back even after 25 years

Have fun on Teek, those on Tormax will also have fun
  13. Intercept Augur

Tormax will be fine, Teek sounds like it will be fun too for those who wish to play that style of EQ
  14. Intercept Augur

This game is still running after 25 years, not too many can say that
  15. PriestofDiscord Journeyman

Noone "wants it to fail".

There's a handful of people who love the Tormax ruleset and that's great...

Most of us are just being realistic - looking at the momentum of the server and the rule set and anticipating how badly things are about to go.

I'm sure it'll be populated on launch and for the first month. A few months deep though, noone would be surprised if it was perma low pop.

Personally I won't be surprised if it's the lowest pop TLP server in the long run. Besides being fresh, I just don't see the appeal to pick that server over any other vanilla TLP.
    dwiguslowater and Sheila like this.
  16. Magneress Augur

It probably won't be a big deal to transfer to an older tlp at that point if that's a serious issue.

Dunno. I just get the vibe ppl are overly concerned about population of both servers. Especially at launch.
  17. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I agree with you. The 25th anniversary TLP severs should have been monumentally unique making them irresistible to players. Hard pass from me. What we got was a business as usual approach with minimal effort that is not commensurate with this auspicious occasion. It is not for a lack of ideas as players have been posting excellent wish lists for a special TLP ruleset for the past year.

For a fantasy virtual world that is all about adventure, the feature sets are not very adventurous. The 25 Anniversary server rulesets should have been a bases loaded home run. Instead we got pop fly ball in the infield.
  18. Zansobar Augur

New players start EQ every year. This idea that only those that played on past TLPs play on the TLP servers is completely false. Heck when Mischief launched, 5 out of my 6 static launch group hadn't played EQ in over a decade or 2 and at least one hadn't played it at all before.
  19. Tachyon Augur

playing both!
  20. Exmortis_MT Augur

Personally I still have not made my choice yet, on which server I will play on. I only have any play time for a Truebox experience every 2nd week due to travel. Box friendly I could have some play time every week. I have a spiffy enough lappie that can easily box 5 chars. I do not raid, and if servers are truebox, will be all alone as my friends all want to box 2 chars if they play again.

Teek has some draw for a very casual player like me. The ability for any loot at any camp means I will likely have to purchase less from the bazaar but can augment my gear with the odd raid item as they will get cheaper due to amount on market. This actually means I would be far more self-reliant, but have access to gear I usually do not with no camp locking.

Tormax Is my favored ruleset, and if it was longer xpacs and box friendly it would be my server. Also be with friends who were thinking of coming back but will not on Truebox. This server does mean I will have little more trouble with gear, but an experience more akin to the "old days". Truebox however is nowhere near akin to the "old days".

Note I do care about population though, even as a boxer. I am casual enough I do augment my gear from the bazaar, and the more sellers the better the price and availability. I also TS, so having a solid bazaar allows me to buy mats I need if my usual loot luck happens. I TS as much gear for myself as I can.

I do not want any server to fail, but as it stands, I am worried about Tormax as a long-term investment, I usually play for many years and when I start a new TLP on release I am in it for the long haul. Last serious TLP I made it to CotF, and hope to do so again. However, I am concerned about the viability of Tormax in that light. I do have a feeling Tormax is a poor choice for the long haul.
    Magneress likes this.