Why change unlimited target AoE spells after 25 years? And which spells are still unlimited?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bonemelter, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Bonemelter Nemesis Enforcer

Why? Some of us had spent a ton of time leveling up wizard alts just specifically for the purpose of mass farming for lower level mats for trade skills etc, this just seems like a move that is unjustified and hurts the overall diversity of the game.
  2. kizant Augur

Wizards aren't meant for farming nonsense like that.
    Andarriel and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  3. fransisco Augur

You can still farm tradeskill materials and such. Just kill in slightly smaller groups. I've gone to 350 in every tradeskill, and very very rarely would pulling an entire zone even be a thing when farming mats, because your looking for specific things from specific mobs.

The real issue that people are upset about is how they used unmentioned software to sit in picks and instances pulling entire zones at once
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

Nobody took away your ability to mass slaughter gray con mobs to farm materials. They just, rightfully, took away the ability to pull the entire zone in one go. There are no victims here.
    Andarriel, Windance, Kyzvs and 3 others like this.
  5. Numiko Augur

This change is more aimed at TLP servers where commercial operations offering power leveling would disrupt entire zones pulling every mob they could to AE them down for their customers.
  6. Exmortis_MT Augur

Then why not drop it to 15 or 10? I would think that would be very effective at removing it. I would love to see an end to the PL zone disruption almost impossible to play in some zones, not to mention spam.
  7. Bonemelter Nemesis Enforcer

Well fair is fair, so mobs can't Aoe more than 30 either now?
  8. Kyzvs Augur

As a mage old enough to remember rains being nerfed to 4 hits, I don't have a massive amount of sympathy at 30 - seems fine to me.
  9. JetZeppelin2h Augur

PBAE with DS is just 1 of many methods to PL. It may be the last legit way to PL outside using mercs. Gear is worthless for twinking these days, maybe have a little use if you aren't using persona.
  10. fransisco Augur

I'm still waiting for mobs to be unable to hit me while they are standing toe deep in water
  11. Vlad Diszno Augur

I beg to differ that there are no victims.
    I think it causes emotional damage and reeks of cruelty.
    Put yourself in the mobs position:
    Here you are, with all your buddies in the zone, merrily descending upon a PC for a kill. Previous to this you’d die with happy thoughts and a smile on your face, blissfully unaware of what was about to hit you. But now you have to witness your buddies summarily destroyed in swathes just before your own demise.
    It’s kinda like being stuck in a car going over a cliff, would you rather be asleep or fully alert to your impending doom?
  12. Knifen Augur

I mean, you're not wrong.
    Herf likes this.
  13. fransisco Augur

Or better yet, you emerge victorious, caked in the blood of ogres and elves. You can take over as the new clan cheiftan.
    You remember the panic in the norrathian's eyes as they realized they could no longer stop all of you at once....
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Herf and Rijacki like this.
  14. Marton Augur

Yeah, off topic:

Does anyone remember Project M?

It did not last long but it was hilarious experience and I would not mind if they would bring it back, maybe in one zone only, or for a specific time period only. It really was fun.
    Sunawar, Wulfhere and Herf like this.
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yep. Pissed off SO many people in the newbie areas...the obscenities flowed freely during that time.
    Herf likes this.
  16. fransisco Augur

It was a fun idea, but it was just under the table pvp, and ALL open world pvp is greifing.
    Rijacki likes this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

Wasnt that on its own server?
  18. Razorfall Augur

30 mobs is plenty. These guys can't wait 6 seconds to cast another PBAE?

Give me a break

EDIT: Also, it isn't the first time they've nerfed something like this. Remember shakerpaging?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

I honestly don't remember, but now that you mention it, it might have been. If it was, it was a server that everyone had access to.
  20. JetZeppelin2h Augur

It was on all or most servers. I guess it is possible that some servers had it turned off but all the ones I know of had it turned on when it was a thing.

The one problem with it was the fact that you could get control of an npc and run it anywhere you wanted for no reason. It would have been better if it could only give you an NPC that currently had aggro with a PC. That way you couldn't run from a level 20 area of the zone to a level 5 area of the zone and slaughter other people who were under the level for the NPC you had. Maybe even make it so you can't attack an NPC 5 levels under your NPC you are controlling would have been nice too.