What exactly happens during a patch downtime?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Jack Elder

MTV debuted just after midnight on August 1, 1981. I don't know how the music videos were used before MTV and Video Concert Hall launched (1979) but they do be some amazing clips. Mostly the stuff you see prior to 1979 are from music shows such as American Bandstand, Soul Train, broadcasted concerts, ect.
    Rijacki and Szilent like this.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

And made millions off simple lyrics and repetitive rhythms. Simple sells and they were great fun to hear and to dance to. I used to play trumpet a lot and from time to time I was able to work with a Kool in the Gang, Earth, Wind, and Fire cover band. Easy horn parts and lots of fun to do. Good times.
    Rijacki, Captain Video and Jack like this.
  3. Captain Video Augur

Plus Midnight Special, Kirshner's Rock Concert, Top of the Pops (still going), and others I don't remember. In the early years of cable TV movie channels, some record labels would produce stand-alone music videos for insert into the between-movie breaks. Aerobicize became famous that way (via Showtime). Loryanna Catalano was my Firiona Vie, the Hills of Katmandu. The sharp increase in such stand-alone video produciton at the turn of the '80s (especially in the UK, where TV is nationalized) led to the idea that a cable channel showing nothing but music videos might actually work.

My friends don't call me Captain Video for nothing. :)
    Nennius and Jack like this.
  4. kizant Augur

I vote that patches become a 3 day event. Let the devs take their time and have a break and give the servers a well deserved rest. Players need a break too tbh.
  5. Cicelee Augur

As someone born in the early 70s, I should have remembered MTV started in 1981.

Video Killed the Radio Star. Bonus points if you knew the name of the group that sang that song w/o Google.
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The Buggles.

I like that song.
    Rijacki likes this.
  7. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Should shutdown EQ on the weekend to get people off their computers! For patches maybe shutdown Friday 12am PST or EST and not turn it back on until Tuesday 12am PST or EST
    kizant likes this.
  8. Captain Video Augur

The Buggles, Trevor Horn's first band. He would also found the Art of Noise along with Oscar-winner Anne Dudley. In pro circles he's better known as a producer, having worked with such artists as Yes, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Jeff Beck, Seal, LeAnn Rimes, Malcolm McLaren and several others. The AoN song "Paranoimia" (recorded after Horn left the band), originally an instrumental, was famously remixed with a vocal by Max Headroom. Max actually began his career as a music video show host on behalf of UK label Chrysalis Records, obviously promoting their artists. It wasn't until later that he became well-known in the US after starring in a futuristic sci-fi series bearing his name. The UK pilot for that series was produced by Chrysalis, with theme and incidental music by Midge Ure and Chris Cross of Ultravox, at the time a major act on the Chrysalis label. I can only imagine what the freak-out level would be if Max should happen to pop up in an EQ cameo.

There's my Captain Video stream-of-consciousness imitation of mark/ukk for the day.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

According to Wikipedia, he began his career in the TV movie "Max Headroom: 20 Minutes into the Future", his cyberpunk origin story. Two days later he hosted the TV show "The Max Headroom Show" where he introduced music videos.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom
    Rijacki likes this.
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I recently learned that giving certain parts of a server stack a rest may end up with them deciding to rest eternally. A hamster in motion stays in motion.
    Rondor, Metanis, Quatr and 3 others like this.
  11. JetZeppelin2h Augur

The problem is they are still using hamsters to run the servers. I have found cats and bunnies work much better for this job.
  12. klanderso Developer

It's like if you have errands to run after work, it's best to NOT sit down in a comfy chair, or they'll never get done :D
  13. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

That would be great for those who can only play on the weekends....
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Just don't let the magic smoke out and you'll be fine.
    Nennius and Tallie like this.
  15. Captain Video Augur

Every so often Wikipedia is wrong. :)

One series of music video shows was produced by Channel 4 in the UK before the sci-fi pilot. They were hoping to sell it to MTV, which already had some other label-specific programming on its weekend schedule. However, the US movie channel Cinemax, a subsidiary of Showtime, had bought the music video show sight-unseen based solely on the use of the name "Max" in the title. When they saw what they had bought, they weren't very happy. The idea for the "20 Minutes Into the Future" pilot was conceived to give the Max character some backstory, and was scripted and filmed at the insistence of Cinemax people. The US side of the equation hated the pilot even more, so much so they only showed it twice, both times after midnight. In the UK, the pre-taped first series of music video shows was aired immediately following the sci-fi pilot. In the US, Cinemax didn't show any of the first series, and only showed the two subsequent UK series late at night. After the UK cancellation, six more episodes were produced in the US with fewer videos and more interviews (thereby giving Max more screen time), at which point CInemax cancelled too.

That would have been the end of the line for Max, except... Someone at ABC saw the pilot and liked it a lot, their network believed it had possibilities, and they weren't bound by any music tie-in. Once Cinemax had abandoned interest in the IP, ABC put together a deal. A series of 14 episodes was made, shown in two blocks, and then it was cancelled for low ratings. My persional opinion was that the pilot was very sharp, definitely ahead of its time, and that the US port changed too many things because the concepts were considered too deep for the casual US primetime audience, i.e. they dumbed it way down. If it was Netflix doing it today, I think the series would have followed the flow of the pilot. The ideas of hundreds of 24-hour networks competing in real-time for ratings, unregulated and unblockable pirate networks, and AI-controlled on-air personalities, were too politically sensitive within the broadcast TV business of the '80s. And look were we are today...
    Fanra likes this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

I have edited a lot of articles on Wikipedia. Mostly for grammar and spelling. Join us and fix the article.
    Fanra likes this.
  17. Flatchy Court Jester

Wasnt the album called "The Age of Plastic"? My friends say I was google before there was google when it comes to 80s music. I dont remember what I had for breakfast but I can remember all that garbage.
  18. Flatchy Court Jester

Oh BTW Best thing MTV ever had on was "The Young Ones".
  19. Captain Video Augur

One of the most influential Britcoms of all time. It also showed up on Comedy Central and BBC America in the millenium era. Counting all the guest appearances, it was a veritable encyclopedia of British stand-up and TV sketch comedy people of the '80s. Young Ones + French & Saunders = Comic Strip Presents, which was also shown briefly on MTV. French & Saunders = AbFab. Young Ones was one of the first things written by Ben Elton, before he partnered with Richard Curtis and did Blackadder (my personal pick as best sitcom ever (they had a cunning plan (or were they a punning clan?))). It's a bit sad that in this golden age of streamng, so much of classic Brit TV can't be seen.

The AbFab theme was written by Bob Dylan and Rick Danko (of The Band), both of whom are in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The AbFab version is a duet with Julie Driscoll and Ade Edmondson. That should get a few readers googling. :)
    Flatchy likes this.
  20. Captain Video Augur