Hatred`s Shield and Hatred`s Sword etc. in Timorous Falls: Shadow of My Shadow

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Panna, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Panna New Member

The ` that is used in the Hatred`s Shield and other mobs here is the symbol below the tilda on the keyboard. It should be an apostrophe. This is causing problems with targeting the mobs and with the way it is spoken in EQparser. "Hatred s shield", etc.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Theres like a weird functional issue that apostrophies are an issue so they use backtick.
    Szilent likes this.
  3. Angahran Augur

In EQLP you can fix the readback by setting it in the 'phonetic dictionary', just tell it to replace the ` with '
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

With databases, data that includes an apostrophe can cause problems. However, this can be dealt with.

Overcoming SQL Insertion Errors: Handling Apostrophes in Data

How to Escape Apostrophe in MySQL?

With my EverQuest Inventory Report, using an apostrophe in the search would cause the program to crash. I fixed this by "escaping" the apostrophe.

In addition to that issue, there is the problem mentioned here, which is the character below the tilde, which is known as a backtick, backquote, grave, or grave accent.

I do feel that using a backtick instead of an apostrophe is not an optimal practice (it is also not correct English). However, I have no idea how much of an issue it would be for Darkpaw to use the correct character (apostrophe).
    Nennius likes this.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

From what I remember, the functional reason is something more like they decided to use the single quote as a control character, so like it means line break in strings.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I'm not sure why they would ever use that instead of /n, the standard. Also used are <br> (for html).
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

Because 1999.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  8. Brickhaus Augur

...or they could have just done what everyone else does for stupid situations like this...

...Sword of Hatred, Shield of Hatred, etc. No one to blame but themselves.
  9. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I can say that it shouldn't cause targeting issues. You can still create a "/tar Hatred`s_Shield0" hotkey and it works just fine.

Explaining the difference between the 2 punctuation marks when I'm handing out assignments, on the other hand... :p