Click Item Problem

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by JetZeppelin2h, Apr 11, 2024.

1. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Is there any chance that this is a bug that will ever be fixed? I am not putting this in the bug area because it is a known bug that I don't think they will ever get fixed so was going to put out some other opinions to maybe fix it.

Issue (for those who are not bards may never see it happen) is when you are casting a spell and click an item at the same time it can sometimes lock spell casting forcing you to relog or zone before any item / spell can be cast again.

This happens for bards a ton because we normally have melo running and will try to time item clicks as the melo is running. The safe way to do this is to stop cast and then click the item then start melo again which is annoying and requires a ton of hotkeys to start melo back up with every stage so if you stop it on song 4 you need to start on song 5 and not back on song 1 etc.

It is common for bards to use 3rd party code that allows them to use clickies as part of their melo but also is against the rules of the game. At one time bards could only use melo as a 3rd party code tool that was illegal before they finally added melo to the game itself.

So is there any way we can add item click as part of melo for bards? That or can we get an aa that make all bard item clicks instant cast instead of having a cast time? It is known for this bug that if the item clicky has no cast time I have never seen it bug. So like selo's drum is instant cast and I can run melo and spam it all day long with no bug, however the bard epic 2.0 is 0.4 sec cast and it will bug the melo if you click it at the wrong time.

As part of this aa for bards to reduce item cast time you could maybe increase the recast time for all items so if it is a 10 sec cast time item with no recast time it becomes instant cast time with a 10 sec recast?
  2. Brickhaus Augur

Zero sympathy for bards (I guess I'm mean).

Deal with it the way the rest of casters deal with it. Or don't click items.

They should eventually fix the issue, because it sucks. But bards don't get special treatment.
    fransisco likes this.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

As one who mains a bard and has clickies, I haven't seen this issue except when using one of the one-time clickies (usually accidentally) and using my hot key that's tied to movement (forage with auto-inventory) and not singing or using /melody. So, I suspect it's something with using a social and not specifically /melody or casting a spell. I've only hit it a few times and only recently which might only be because I accidentally clicked an item instead of opening the inspect and was moving, i.e. not something I do all the time. I suspect it shows up for the OP while using /melody since that's often part of a social/macro and not expressly on its own.

In my opinion, timing socials with AAs and such in a repeating /melody is part of mastering bard. One of my macros even has a /use item as part of it. It used to work great but something changed about the slot numbering 'cause now, even if it's pre-equiped and not swapped with bandolier, I get a "can't find" type message. I don't use it all the time so keep forgetting to find the problem. It stopped working a few patches ago.
  4. Lodestar The Undefeated

This is 100% reproducible by anyone, on any computer, in any country. It's not a matter of interpretation or feeling. Therefore, this is always avoidable if you employ logic that doesn't involve casting songs and clickables simultaneously. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Activate a melody macro that doesn't end.
    2. Activate "Rapier of Somber Notes"
    3. Spell/song casting gems will be locked out for 5 seconds.
    Instant cast items such as Selo's Drums of the March and Staff of Viral Flux can also cause melody interruptions/lockouts even though they are instant cast. This happens if you activate them precisely around the point when the next song in a melody is on the cusp of activating.
    Fenthen likes this.
  5. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Are you sure it is possible to cause it with an instant click? I am basically spam clicking my selo's drum and have never seen it cause the glitch. I am not saying it isn't possible but the chances of it happening is about the same as winning the lottery. If you use the 2.0 epic click I can cause it 95% of the time if I want. I also find that long cast time items are less likely to cause it then the 0.1 to 1.0 cast time items. I am pretty sure this is because long cast time items tend to just block normal song cast vs both of them trying to go off at the same time together which is where the glitch likely comes from. When you have a item click and a song trigger at the same time it doesn't know which recast time to use and glitches your song list. This will self correct sometimes meaning you may have to sit there for 5-10 secs before your song cast is allowed again but when you get the full glitch version it never resets. I originally thought the lockout was based on the item recast time which could also be why drums never caused it because if the glitch went off the drum recast time then it would only lock spells for 0 secs. I have tested on long recast like 3.5 mins and even after 3.5 mins the spells stay glitched and you can't use them. While the glitch is going on you can still use aas so it doesn't block those allowing you to still use bb, selos aa, double invs, etc even while glitched.
  6. Lodestar The Undefeated

Yes it is absolutely possible, and can be reproduced if attempting within the right timeframe probably 20% of the time. The right timeframe is around a 200 millisecond range directly up to and including when any song activates during a melody macro. So for many players, they may never notice it being an issue. However in my case, I like for my melody to *never* fail when boxing a full group or more of characters.

If you spam click your instant clicks during the other 2.8 seconds of the full 3 seconds when you're casting a song otherwise, you'll never see an instant click cause an interruption or lockout.

Everything stated here is applicable specifically to instant clicks including Selo`s Drums of the March.
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Clicking an insta-cast item right as one song is ending and starting a new song, will cause the melody to stop. 100% of the time. It's worse when there's raid lag.

Making all bard clickies insta cast would definitely help with the headache of having 7 different hotbuttons of melodies, but the bug of killing the melody would still be problematic. I have to wait until I'm in the "meat" of the casting to use clicks or I'm starting the melody over again. I'm staring at my casting bar a good 40-50% of the night, a problem that no other class has.
    Lodestar likes this.
  8. Lodestar The Undefeated

100% accurate.
    Silvena likes this.
  9. Bumkus Elder

There were a couple times i clicked my Guild portal clicky thing on my Bard at the end of a mission. Pretty sure melody was still running at the time. I noticed that he didn't port out and i was not able to reclick the Guild portal clicky. So i had to click my Throne of Heroes AA instead. Is this the bug you are talking about?
  10. fransisco Augur

Im sure alot of casters would like to have everything be instaclick. However the casting time on items is part of using them, they are designed so they cannot be popped in any gcd without interrupting a weave.
    As you can see, casters can make a good argument for why all clickies should be instant. Bards are already lucky in that they get melody, instead of spamming multiple multibind keys to manage spells
  11. cauldrongirl New Member

I'd suggest the devs hardcode in a stop cast when clicking an item. Then players aren't stuck making an action for every single item they want to click and it should address most of the bard issues at the same time.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Trebla7th Augur

You seem to be talking about interrupting /melody. The post you replied to was asking about spell gem lockouts. I don't believe spell gem lockouts happen with insta-click. Especially since you say "many players may never notice it being an issue..." There's no way you couldn't notice that your spell gems get perma-locked :)

Or do I misunderstand and you're saying that the spell gem perma-lockout can happen with insta-clicks? I don't think I've ever seen that happen personally, and I've clicked kind of a lot.

I personally don't so much care about interrupting /melody (sure, it's annoying, but lots of things are). Completely breaking your character until you logout or zone (the problem described by the OP) is a far more pressing problem... even going out of my way to avoid it, I still trigger it accidentally about once a month.
    Fenthen likes this.
  13. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Your argument is whole-heartedly invalid. Bards are not casters, and interrupting a melody with instant-cast items was not ever the intent. Lockout of spell gems for 30+ seconds or until you camp/zone out should not be something which ever happens with instant or casting time item clicks.
  14. fransisco Augur

You selectively left out the next line which said this was an example how how other groups would like instaclick everything as well. Then it goes onto explain how the items are designed to take time and not just be free gcd clicks.
    However I'm sure your response looks better when ignoring the rest of it.
  15. Lodestar The Undefeated

Myself and Fenthen were both referring to spell gem timed-lockouts as result of bard instant clicks. We are also referring specifically to all spell gems greying out and being unusable for a certain period of time (~5 seconds).

Players can consistently reproduce spells gems being locked out for a period of time due to using an instant click during a melody. This is reproducible.

However, reproducing a permanent lockout is not something I was intending to speak to. This is not reproducible and not something I ever personally have to deal with or experience.

The functional issue people have to be cognizant of is that melody macros are not impermeable to instant clicks causing interruptions.
    Fenthen likes this.
  16. JetZeppelin2h Augur

As a bard I love the ability to click items without breaking melo, this is really what makes a bard a special class since we can click items or cast spells while moving. Honestly no clue if casting an item while singing was originally planned for the class since clicky items weren't a common thing when the bard casting system was created. The selo's drum is probably my most commonly used one since it can help slow land or any dots etc.

An easy fix for the problem would be anytime an item is clicked by a bard the first thing it does is stop melo if it is running. This would prevent all the blocking but at the same time I am not sure if I would want to give up being able to click while melo going because it isn't something that happens every 15mins.
    Fenthen and Rijacki like this.
  17. Lodestar The Undefeated

Selo's Drum may be the best bard instant click. If someone is maining a bard, they should always use it. If someone is boxing a bard, I'd recommend never using it (given the risk of killing your melody if not actively monitoring and timing the bard clicks/melodies).
  18. Trebla7th Augur

Can you describe how this is reproducible? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've used Trumpet of the Dragon Goddess and various similar clicks hundreds (thousands?) of times and have never seen spell gem lockups from instant clicks, only from clicks with a cast time. Other people in this thread are also saying that this is not reproducible.

So if this is in fact reproducible, perhaps you can describe the exact steps to reproduce it? Be as specific as possible. Not trying to be antagonistic, but if this is an actual problem, telling the devs how to do it will help them fix it (if they actually desire to).

Personally I'd rather them focus on the permanent gem lockout from clicks with a cast time.
  19. Lodestar The Undefeated

Myself and Fenthen both already specifically described the steps to reproduce.

Re-read both of our posts.
  20. Trebla7th Augur

You did not... you hand-waved that it happens 20% of the time when you click something at the right time. You said: "Yes it is absolutely possible, and can be reproduced if attempting within the right timeframe probably 20% of the time. The right timeframe is around a 200 millisecond range directly up to and including when any song activates during a melody macro."
    ...this is not steps to reproduce, it's a vague description of how it might sometimes happen... but others in the thread have pointed out this isn't the case.

And then you described a sequence of events with Rapier of Somber Notes which isn't an instant click...

Neither of those are a sequence of events to reproduce it.