Teek and Tormax could use a couple tweeks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Risiko Augur

I think we could use a couple tweaks to this year's TLP season in order to get more people to spread out across the two servers. As it stands right now, the vast majority of guilds are planning to be on the Teek server. The queue time is going to be horrendous for the Teek server.

First and foremost, please note that Teek is the server that almost all hardcore guilds are prepping to start on. So, you should look at the ruleset for Teek with a raider's point of view.

The Tormax server has no real draw for most people. It's most likely going to be a low population server with Teek starting alongside it.

Also, one last thing before I propose my additions to the servers. The names are backwards. Tormax is a raid target that holds a lot of nostalgia for hardcore raiders. The ruleset of the Teek server is drawing the hardcore raiders. As such, the Teek server should be called Tormax and the Tormax server be called Teek.

Tormax - Hardcore-geared Raiding Server
    1. Random loot
    2. Free trade
    3. Kunark start
    4. Faster experience gain
    Teek - Casaul server
    1. Mangler clone (called Aradune clone now I guess)
    2. FTE (First To Engage)
    3. No keys or flags required to enter any zone
  2. Kahna Augur

Teek is fine. Tormax could use help.
  3. Zansobar Augur

Tormax should be switched to Mischief ruleset like Teek, but add FTE to be the casual server. Keying is an issue but is vastly easier on free trade servers and with Personas only requiring it done once, I don't think it's worth the dev time to change that (I'd be fine if they did as that is what casuals want).

If they did that and the toxic guilds stayed on Teek it would work out great. However, I doubt that would happen, those guilds would re-roll just to grief those on Tormax as that is how they like to play the game.
  4. Search and Rescue Journeyman

I can agree with what you are suggesting.

I can tell you this, if me and my friends can't even log into the new free trade server in seconds on launch, we simply won't play and will cancel our accounts.
    We have been waiting on a new server like this for a while now. (We missed out on Mischief start)

If DBG doesn't have adequate resources, and an overflow server and redundancies in place for the HUGE FLOOD of people coming to the new free trade TLP, that will be a deal breaker and we will find another game to give our money to that knows how to run a business properly.

DBG, you won't get another chance at this, you better get this right the first time.

Every TLP should have at least 200% exp bonus to start off, and it should increase by 100% every 6 months.
    Old players have even less time to sit around waiting on drops or grinding to max level, we have families, careers, and lives, the days of spending hours every day on EQ are LONG over.

Also, if you think anyone is going to sit around and grind out a ridiculous 100k AA points your delusional, just like the tools that came out with, then kept adding on to that AA nonsense. (aside from those crazies that have already done it)

The amount of AA's now on live is a joke, its way way beyond out of control, the game is nothing but 4 pages of hotbutton clicks over and over, its miserable and stupid.
  5. Kahna Augur

You don't actually sound like you even like this game.

I am just going to wait two weeks to really care about playing. Before that if I get on cool, if not? Cool. It will all even out in the end. The impatient folks who can't handle the queue and the folks who were all going to quit in the first two weeks anyway because it isn't how they remembered it will have quit by then and it will be fine.

Throwing away potentially years of enjoyment on a server because the first two weeks is a little rough seems drastic, but hey, it's knee jerk reactions like that that will have the server playable in no time.
    KobalWR and Appren like this.
  6. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Everything you just posted is fake news except the part about having lives and 200% exp rates. That is true story.

See you on Teek in mid June despite the disaster that launch will be. DPG has been on it's "last chance" since like 2006 and yet here we are.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Teek is fine as it is. Tormax is in need of some help, removing truebox would probably be the biggest draw.
  8. Xhieron Elder

Can we knock it off with the, "DBG better give me what I want the way I want it or else!" BS? It's not a great look.

I say that despite acknowledging that, indeed, it's your money, and you can spend it on whatever you want. And sure, you shouldn't pay just to sit in a server queue. But also, where have you been? Everybody knows not to use PTO on launch day(s). The servers will be jam packed even if they launch a backup, and whether the queues are 10 minutes or 6 hours, most of that volume is going to die down inside 30 days. I can't blame them for preferring a big queue on week 1 over maintaining a dead server in eighteen months and then having to do a merge. It sure would be nice if money was no object, but that's simply not true.

You're also certainly not owed an XP bonus. If you want to level fast, play live. No queues there either. Better yet, play something else entirely; it sounds like you'd have more fun.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Don't waste anymore time reading or posting on the forums, there will be a queue and it will be a lot longer than 5 minutes. If your not going to stick around if the queues are longer than that there is no point in ranting here.

I'll try and log in for the first hour if I don't get in, I'll give up and go to bed and get up and log into a queueless server the following morning.

EQ isn't the only game to have queues, other games have queues when they open up something their communities are interested in.
  10. auto21 Augur

regarding the queue..

1) Improving the player experience (especially first impressions) and 2) ensuring infrastructure is there to support a greater number of paying customers would be 2 things near or at the top of my list of things to ensure were there in order to generate more income for a business.

No wonder this game is limited to a few thousand (die hard fans) resulting in pocket change compared to other games/mmo.
  11. AzzlannOG Elder

Yeah but you dont plan your server infrastructure around the peak of the beginning of a server when 99% of the time it wont even be close to that. If they were all cloud that would be a thing but to my knowledge they are not.
  12. CdeezNotes Augur

This reads like ragebait.

Furthermore, how illogical can you possibly be? "We've waited for a while so if we cannot get on immediately, we quit!" Huh? You've already been waiting, what's another few hours? Settle down, you're not going to throw empty ultimatums out on the threads and be taken seriously...ever.
    They won't. So...bye, I guess? Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I'm sure you won't be missed with an attitude like that.
    Do you even like this game? A couple years into the server and you want a whooping 600% bonus exp? LMAO. It takes < 10 hours to get to 60-65 in POP in era under normal circumstances without potions. So you basically want it taking what, 1.5-2 hours to get max level? And what exactly are you going to do the next 20 months of POP? Complain about how it took 10 total hours to max AAs? You're looking at maybe a couple hours a week max to finish up all exp requirements. If you can't complete that without absurd bonuses...well, TLPs aren't targeted to you (ultra casual). They were quite literally made to do the content at an accelerated pace. If you can't keep up, go to live.

You've complained about basically every gameloop that in exists in EQ. What exactly do you want to do in the game? You want to just show up and get your participation trophy (loot) and call it a day? Relive all that nostalgia you missed out on when you weren't able to hang with the top dawgs in era? Make krono for RMT?

How about you just suggest having a TLP grant you maxed out chars and loot so you can walk around flaunting how good you are? That's basically what you seem to want.
  13. auto21 Augur

I'm just assuming they've done some cost/benefit analysis and this is the result.
    What is clear is that this game has zero chance to grow significantly if this issue isn't resolved.
  14. Kahna Augur

The game is 25 years old. It's not growing significantly. The fact that it still has 80K players after 25 years means they are doing something right.
  15. KobalWR Lorekeeper

I'd love to see truebox removed for Tormax, or at least relaxed truebox instead of truebox.
    Thereby, people willing to box "teams" could have a place to do it easily, and players annoyed with multiboxing would have a better time as well.
  16. auto21 Augur

Think tiny, be tiny.
    80k, if it even is that high, is a drop in the ocean compared to modern games, which attract millions of daily active users that generate more money in a day than EQ does in years or decades.

EQ ceratinly has been around a long time, but on life-support for at least 20 years.
  17. CdeezNotes Augur

And many of those games get shut down because they are a spark and die off quickly because they have no retaining features. They're often soulless meme games that spread through TikTok. I'd rather EQ not devolve into that crap.
  18. auto21 Augur

Many yes, but if EQ is an exception, then so is WOW with approx 2.5 million daily active users
    More than 30 times your made up 80k
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

I didn't make up any number. Blizzard also had a massive, global following prior to WOW launch with Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo. It's not even remotely comparable.
  20. Kahna Augur

CdeezNotes never said anything about 80k. I got the number from the announcement they made when EG7 bought them in 2020. Those are the most accurate numbers we have for the player count. Considering how many games have shut down and how many have made it being in the survivor pool is a win. EQ will never be, and should never be, what WoW is. Being a niche game that doesn't compete with WoW is part of EQ's success.

https://massivelyop.com/2020/12/02/everything-we-just-learned-about-daybreak-thanks-to-eg7/