Molo ?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Rooksmirk, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Rooksmirk Journeyman

What does molo mean ? Don't people use solo anymore ?
  2. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

It means solo with a mercenary. Solo+Merc= Molo.
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

As Eaedyilye said, Molo = Solo with a merc. It's more or less still solo but it acknowledges you need the help of a merc when you are explaining your solo tactic to someone else. A MAG can Solo and Molo very well so saying Molo is an easy way to let another mage know how difficult that content is. Other classes have to use a merc all the time to play alone.

BTW, the ROG merc tanks pretty well so SHM and CLR may prefer to molo with the ROG over the WAR. You can buy extra merc slots with your DBC so you can have several different mercs. Some classes like to have different merc types, like as a NEC kiting it's good to have a WIZ but pet tanking it's good to have a CLR. A SHM might want to use a ROG 100% of the time so they could have 2 ROG mercs so that if one dies, they can use the other one that is still buffed. It's nice if you can buy the cheaper-per-merc 3-merc expansion given you have the extra DBC from your sub but a single slot or buying just 1 extra should meet the needs of most people. You can also unlock some free slots but it takes some very high level tradeskilling to do. Extra slots are even more valuable now with personas because your SHM might want a WAR, you NEC might want a WIZ, your... you get the idea.
    AzzlannOG likes this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

Molo is similar to Yolo (You only live once) and does mean: Me only live once
  5. Rooksmirk Journeyman

i only saw tank and healer or melee dps mercenaries of human type. How do you recruit a rogue mercenary ? For example on mischief ?
  6. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Melee DPS = rogue
    Caster DPS = wizard
    Tank = warrior
    Healer = cleric

But for all 4, even journeyman, they're a revision of those classes.

I have no clue when they're available on any TLPs.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  7. Gialana Augur

Tank is Warrior class
    Healer is Cleric class
    Melee DPS is Rogue class
    Caster DPS is Wizard class

Not all mercenary liaisons will offer all 4 types. For instance, the Ogre Liaison in PoK doesn't offer Healer mercenaries. Also, since Ogres can't be clerics, rogues, or wizards, the Ogre Liaison only offers tank mercenaries with the Ogre skin (they offer Caster and Melee DPS with a lizardman skin).
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Different classes are available thru different merc liaisons.

So if you were to go to say, a Vah Shir merc seller/liaison you would only be offered a Warrior (tank), Rogue (dps) or a Rungus Man (wiz) and you have to use the drop down arrow on the purchase screen to see that. So you have to find the merc liaison for which you want.

The Apprentice and Journeyman option is also on that drop down arrow but only paid accounts will see those 2.

Tank mercs can be Barbarian, Dark Elf, Drakkin, Dwarf, Gnome, Gutkun, Half Elf, Halfing, Human, Iksar, Ogre, Troll, Vah Shir, Wood Elf.

Healer mercs can be Dark Elf, Drakkin, Dwarf, Erudite, Gnome, Gutkan, Halfling, High Elf and Human.

Dps (rogue) can be any of those above. But Instead of Erudite they get Kobold, High Elf = Brownies, Iksar becomes Froglok, Ogre is Lizardman, Troll is Orc

Casters (wizards) Instead of Barbarians or Half Elves they get Orc, Dwarf = Goblin, Halfing = Bixie, Iksar is Goblin, Ogre is Lizardman, Vah Shir is Fungus Man and Wood Elf = Orc.

Not sure if the "find" key is on TLP yet but if it is just look under Merc liaisons for the sellers.

There are special merc that you go to a special merc liaison npc in pok to get. Usually need a contract to get them.

These are all just skins and do not affect how the merc handles other than being smaller or larger, pretty etc

If you are concerned about it being male or female you can target them and type /say Hello %s (%s adds the sex of your target into your line of text) and you should see yourself say "Hello female" in your chat box. You can also use %r (for race, which may sometime come back as something like 'NPC,' instead of an actual race).
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

You can unlock additional merc slots. You can buy slots from the DB Marketplace or by doing some quests. You can only have one merc out at a time, but having additional slots makes it possible to 'switch' your merc without dismissing one and hiring a new one. You have to be out of combat for several minutes to switch and can only switch (including dismiss and rehire) after 5 minutes. If your merc dies, you will also need to wait 5 minutes before you can revive it.

Mercs charge and ever increasing fee based on your level and apprentice/journeyman every 15 mins unless it's in Passive stance. When you put it in Passive stance, it will charge you once more then waive the fee until you change to a non-Passive stance. While it is Passive, the merc will do nothing other than follow you around. Select the stance and click Set Active. You can change stances on a merc that's out at any time, even if you're in combat ('cause, if you're like me, you'll forget it's passive until you notice it's not doing anything while you're in battle). If I am doing a lot of running around but mostly not engaging in combat, I'll keep my merc out and in Passive stance and only change stance when I need help in an unexpected battle.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

Are you sure that the special merc liasions do not grant a power bonus ? I never noticed a difference, but a friend is confident that the gargoyle contract and some others, do provide stronger mercs.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes I am sure as I got it from an old dev who made the mercs

- The model differences are purely aesthetic.” — Maddoc the Wayfarer, Assistant Lead Designer.

I have found no reference to indicate there is a difference on any website or guide.

The differences that could affect it would be buffs, AA, group make up, etc. IE perhaps his gargoyle merc has better armor or better buffs.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

Thx, that is good to know.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  13. Lubianx Augur

There is actually one that I know of. If you bought the collector's edition of TBM, you could get a merc which prevents the debuff in Crypt of Sul, at least until you completed Lesser Spirit Armor.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Not really a "skin" difference but you are right it does mitigate somewhat. But as far as a gnome healer having better stats or heals than a human one makes no difference.

Both the Collector’s Edition and Premium Edition of The Broken Mirror include the Shroud of Relife illusion and Contract of the Chosen mercenary.

In the Crypt of Decay players will have their max mana and HP reduced by 20%. With either the merc or illusion active it’s only a 10% reduction.

In the Plane of Health healing players receive is reduced by 20%. With either the merc or illusion active it’s only a 10% reduction.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

Never knew they included stuff like that in collectors editions. Talk about buying power. Sheesh. The idea of selling AAs is much less power than 10% bonus to HP / healing.
  16. Thallatos New Member

LoL shouldn't that mean "SoMe" if it is referred that way?
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Merc + Solo = Molo
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

How about MeSo? Lots of ways to end that. :)
    Rijacki likes this.
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

Call it anything else you want lol I have always hated Molo, almost as bad as Namer...:)
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Peeps and toons are the ones I dislike. Alpha for the "namer" makes considerably more sense.