Please share the original EverQuest design docs with us

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mirthe, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Mirthe Journeyman

Hi developers,

I would love love love to read the original EverQuest design docs. I'm aware of the one there's many pictures of online titled "EverQuest design document revision 9/5/96":

[IMG]

And there's apparently at least one earlier one that's referred to in this 2011 interview with McQuaid, Smedly, and Zatkin on GDC Online. McQuaid said it was titled "Online RPG".

Notably, in that interview it was suggested that all these design docs would be released to the public to be read, but as far as I can tell, they never were:

Could whatever design documents you still have access to please be scanned and shared with us? Especially in this major anniversary year, it would be a wonderful piece of history to enjoy.

Thanks,
    Mirthe of Quellious
    Doinar and Nennius like this.
  2. Bilderov Augur

Good shout. I'd buy it if they released it in book format.

I read a similar book about Warcraft written as a diary by one of their developers. Very interested on the history of the development of Warcraft. It's called the World of Warcraft Diary: A Journal of Computer Game Development.

For me, reading this stuff is like a magician revealing his tricks, or a mechanic explaining to me how the combustion engine works.
    Flatchy likes this.
  3. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I would love to read that. I'd love to know what the early design of the game I've spent the most time on looks like.
  4. Cuzon Elder

I would LOVE to be able to read that! Please DBG post it for us to read through!
  5. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I would gladly pay for a copy of the EverQuest design document. I'm dead serious. I'll give $100 to Extra Life charity for a paper copy or a PDF copy.