Please go back to the roots of EQ's gameplay loop

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nesalie, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Loots of really good points here. Speaking for myself the nostalgia of a TLP server being back in Norrath without 25 years of "improvements" is a very strong draw.

I don't really like raiding. I prefer to group if at all possible. I solo if no groups are around. To me that's the EverQuest that I love and cherish.

There's something magical about being a level one character only a rusty sword and no gear. Then you start to explore and meet other players and make friendships that can last you a lifetime. That's the EQ that I miss. That's the EQ that's not available in the live version.

Does any group content exist in the current live version of EQ? I really have no idea as I've never made it to the level cap because there's nobody around to group with. At least other MMORPGs like Blizzard's WoW ensure that there is solo and group content along with raiding content for each expansion. People's time availability changes so it's nice to be able to scale up or scale down as time permits.
  2. Took2summmit Elder

hmm..not sure where you're fighting but I get 0.06-0.07% a kill currently at level 124. additionally, all LS zones have merc loops that you do. HF is what I'm doing currently but I spent a long time in Timorous doing that merc loop. quest giver is right next to the birds, then you run 100 yards to the skeeter, then you run 200 yards to the plants then you campfire back and do it again. all you do is click on the guy, say "all" and go kill 20-25 mobs extremely close by, i wouldnt call this questing. if you can't campfire its a 20-30 second run back to quest giver. I actually prefer the timorous merc loop over the more popular heros forge mercs because it's more a straight line, shorter pulls, no casters.

the reason I moved to heros forge is because I'd rather be killing t2 named vs t1. doing this I get about 6% merc xp an hour and kill about 40-50 mobs for another 2-3%. I'm honestly perfectly fine with 9-10% an hour at a relaxed pace killing nameds. not sure why people complain so much about xp, do you think it should be faster than this? I'm sure some people could squeeze maybe 3 loops an hour vs my 2 and get 12-13% with a full group.

laurionn inn has a good one also. 6 mercs from 2 npcs right next to each other for killing 60 mobs. you literally just run a big circle around the zone and repeat. a full group should easily be able to do this under 45-60min for 11-12% xp, chance at 12 named. use /pick if there's people already killing there.
  3. Took2summmit Elder

4. Bilderov Augur

Yeah I think it's more like 0.03 and 0.06 on a lesson. However, if what you say is true, then it's a good step in the right direction.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think people prefer the HF merc tasks over others because they're shorter...you can loop them faster.

HF needs 15 total kills.
    TF needs 21.
    LI needs 60.
  6. Took2summmit Elder

LI is 6 mercs vs 3 tho so not a fair comparison but ya im well aware HF is less mobs. I just find it's a lot more running, more annoying to do in general with the ramp you gotta run up/down and most importantly, far more camped. I'm generally killing extra stuff in HF waiting for my /taskt anyways.
  7. Took2summmit Elder

no, I'm getting 0.06 without lesson and 0.12 with in any LS zone at level 121-124.
  8. Tachyon Augur

arguable i played eq since 1999, still ply along with eight other games regularly.... i have a large family but work at home by contract, so free time alone
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

- Grab tasks and put cf down at the quest guy
    - Run over to the Arcanaforged area and kill 5 wizards (ph'ers count)
    - Run to Valorforged, kill 5
    - Run to Battleforged, kill 5
    - Keep track up to watch for named pops
    - CF back to quest guy and grab tasks again
    - Rinse and repeat

With lev, you never need to run up or down that ramp. Unless you're using cheat software to warp around to mobs (which a certain guild on my server has started doing), the insignia refreshes by the time you finish all 3 tasks...there's virtually no downtime.
  10. Knifen Augur

And nerf coming in 3.2.1... Longer Lockouts engaged.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

Four months in to an expansion...if the devs aren't aware of what's going on by now, they're just being lazy. They designed the damn tasks, they should know what they did. I really don't give a damn. I've been expecting it to be nerfed every single patch since the expansion launched.
  12. Riou EQResource

That's probably their intended way to level since they want you to repeat quests and not grind on pure mobs
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yes, because grinding without purpose is apparently blasphemy. But grinding WITH purpose (merc tasks, evolving items, doing missions over and over and over and over for currency, etc.)...well that's just fine and dandy.
  14. Took2summmit Elder

I mean this is literally how all merc loops work. I just personally hate the terrain in heros forge and my auto follow seems to always fail.