Test Update 04/09/2024 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Cairbrae Developer

Perhaps if you were to read this article then we would have a shared understanding:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

When using Fullscreen Optimizations, your game believes that it is running in Fullscreen Exclusive, but behind the scenes, Windows has the game running in borderless windowed mode.

I can assure you that has been a true statement for EQ for many years. The EQ UX hasn't exposed a borderless windowed mode but the underlying code is already in place, but unfortunately buggy, and activated by ALT+ENTER.

That's interesting because there is a working difference when I test it on my system. Btw, in the buggy case, what's happening is that the window gets stuck in the minimized state.

ALT+ENTER is nothing special. It's just a key combo that applications traditionally use to toggle full screen logic. In EQ, it's implemented to toggle either of two things: full screen exclusive mode (FSE) or full screen borderless windowed mode (FSB), depending on the Windows environment. In the case of Windows 10/11, the default optimizations let the app believe it's in FSE mode while in fact being in FSB mode. Toggling that optimization setting so that EQ would be in true FSE mode is what I asked you to try.

I hope I've cleared up any misunderstandings on this topic.
  2. Marton Augur

So 500k on Reaver's.

What's zerker BP click these days? Something like 2.5mil?
  3. Fleebagg Journeyman

2.6m but close enough,.
  4. Blastoff Augur

For the same reason all AOE spells just got a hit limit of 30. They don't want us getting fast xp.
  5. Captain Video Augur

How long have you been working on EQ? Do you know the history? The game ran just fine in default fullscreen mode for many many years. Alt-ENTER was never needed. Then, a few years ago now, before the DX11 project began, the client was changed to launch by default in windowed mode, with no clear explanation for why this change was made. The then-current CM made various cryptic remarks about how there were esoteric cases where the client couldn't start in specific hardware configurations (never identified) without the change being made. We were basically being subserved to CS support issues. The client ignored relevant settings in the eqclient.ini file, and we were told this was on purpose. Customer expertise was belittled.

All we want now is to go back to how it worked originally. I have literally thousands of games in my library for which this isn't a problem. They have button or pull-down selectors for fullscreen vs. borderless fullscreen vs. windowed, and those settings are saved in a configuration file, so the player only has to set it once. Why can't EQ do this too? Particualy since it used to. If you can't do this now, then the test change should be reverted, so we can at least exit the client cleanly after a session. As it stands, this is yet another "let's put the team out of business"-size blunder.
  6. Knifen Augur

The switch to opening in windowed mode was the fix for many or not many (depending on who you ask) people that would load into a black screen that never went away. Had to hard kill EQ and try again. The only way around it at the time wasedit your ini file to start in windowed mode, get to char screen, alt tab to full screen mode, get into game. At that point I had all ready learned to love playing in full windowed mode (at least thats what i call my window stretched to the full size of the screen. Makes alt tabbing INSTANT no lag no display issues. People should really give a windowed a try, take some time to get everything setup and spaced how you like it, camp to desktop slowly. Windowed mode is the way.
    Metanis likes this.
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Unity was giving xp as though a level 115 group just completed it, but the mobs were tuning to much lower levels. A group in the 90-105 range or so was getting absolutely massive xp for just a few minutes work, at a rate so much higher than anywhere else in the game that it rendered xping elsewhere rather pointless.

Dozens of campfires at the mission NPC. Players popping lesson and finishing the mission, then immediately logging out just to log back in and run Unity again when the lockout was off. It was so much drastically more efficient than anything else it was quite ridiculous, and also quite obviously unintended.

You can argue that missions like that should or should not exist. Maybe they should. Maybe we should have wild xp bonanza missions now and then. That would be a bit of a different discussion though. There is absolutely no way Unity was intended to be giving xp for <115 players at the rate that it was, so they fixed it. Pretty straightforward.
  8. Maedhros High King

Speed limit already worked. We last got it April 7th, 4 days ago.
    alanus likes this.
  9. Galvanize Lorekeeper

So I just double checked using Alt+Enter on Live with overlays running to see if they would display if EQ occupied the fullscreen, they do not. They do display obviously if EQ has a title bar/window. I'm running Windows 11 with the latest updates, and haven't messed with disabling full screen optimizations.

With DX11 why not add a 'true' borderless windowed mode to EQ, selectable in the UX and just have it be the default method that the game loads using the users desktop resolution? That solves any weird errors some users have using fullscreen mode, you can still map all the UI windows 1:1 with their fullscreen settings to preserve UI window placement?

Nearly every modern (Past decade+) has a menu that looks more or less like this - I know EQ is old but was hoping the DX11 port would bring some of that quality of life/ease of use.
    [IMG]
    Metanis and Fanra like this.
  10. Maedhros High King

I say without a moments hesitation that the negative impact to the PL sellers is absolutely worth the improved server experience for the rest of the players.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

It is only one year ago I think. However that year felt like many years and was a year of pain. As pain is just another word for darkpaw, the darkpaw studios are the House of Pain aka Plane of Torment. ;)

I wish that all those bad changes will just get removed which does include the UI engine, the new UI windows, DX11, and that we get the gamma adjustment back for a functioning game as in the state of march 2023. One year ago, EQ was a flawless functioning game, and within that year it got turned into a freakin piece of junk, right for the 25th anniversary. Rollback, and plz get a new head of the studios and replace whoever is in charge of all those horrible noobish decisions since a year !

As there are so many pushed out bugs, experiments, and "coincidences", it looks nearly as there is an ongoing agenda to destroy EverQuest. If that is the case, someone is doing a fantastic good job.
  12. Blastoff Augur

This is not going to hurt pl sellers. People won't level out as fast. All it does is lower the bar for what is considered good pl xp and start a new arms race between the plers to see who can work out the best new strat.
  13. Xyza Journeyman

Windowed/non-windowed, pbae...blah blah blah.. I miss my shrouds
  14. Lianeb Augur

15. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

It is obtainable by high dps, yes. It is not working in the intended way of the hammer strikes slowing him down.
  16. Conq Augur

Looked at this on Test, and it did NOT include Memory Forged weapons. Is this an oversight or intended?
    Conq
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Haven't Memory forged already been done?
  18. Knifen Augur

Should be yes, this fix is for prior expansions NOS back to TBL
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

You mean zero? Because there aren't any you're describing.
  20. Zeelot Elder

SKs have been asking for an upgrade for reaver's bargain for a long time, and instead of an upgrade they nerf it lol. Interesting.

The Pally version that has been requested for a long time also seems very lackluster.
    Maedhros, Allayna, Darkenr and 3 others like this.