Test Update 04/09/2024 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Galvanize Lorekeeper

I'm not the dev of it or anything, but in my experience it seemed to work regardless of how many alts etc I had logged in, performing the same resizing at once on every open EQ instance. If I logged in alts after my main, I simply clicked the icon for it and it resized the new windows.

That said it is an extra App and along with what Fanra is saying, I'd like to see the same look/feel in just a simple EQ Dropdown menu for options.

True borderless windowed looks identical to fullscreen but has instant alt tabbing, doesn't lock windows focus, allows overlays to function, and you can mouse between multiple monitors seamlessly (Sometimes games include a "Lock cursor to this window" option if you are at risk of losing track of a mouse). This is what I was referring to when I asked Cairbrae about something like this for EQ, instead of the retro window title bar look
  2. Iven the Lunatic

I tried a different method by first putting both boxes to the character selection and then activating the MakeWindowFullscreen.exe, but still only one box got affected, before the program crashed. Windows 10 here. I am wondering why it does work on Fanras computer but not on mine. For sure she has a different Windows 10 version and Windows updates.
  3. Galvanize Lorekeeper

I've used it on Win10/Win11 , Fanra mentioned how they set and I just checked mine - it's the same. Make a shortcut to it and have the "Target" line end like this?
    [IMG]
    It should do every instance of EQ this way.

Test server after the latest patch doesn't seem to work anymore with this program and that makes me sad :(
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

They said it was going to be nerfed 2 betas ago.This isn't new (dunno if #s were specified though at the time).
  5. NyteShayd Elder

If you're pulling an entire zone so you can AE it, then yes, the lag is because of AEs. Aside from the periodic train, which usually isn't 30+ outside of certain zones, pulls of 30+ are generally because someone wants to AE them.
  6. Captain Video Augur

NO IT IS NOT THE SAME, as many, many other game developers will tell you. If you seriously believe this, then you flunked your DX11 class.

At your request, I tested this on my system, and it made no difference. It will be working properly when alt-ENTER is no longer necessary, as is the case in 99.99% of the gaming industry.
  7. error Augur

The optimal way to farm a low level zone for tradeskill mats is still going to be to pull everything then AoE it. It's just going to take 3-4 AoEs... :confused:
  8. SteamFox Augur

Sendaii from DoDH progression spawns quite a few adds at the end also.

Yeah, nothing stops you from pulling and training around more than 30, only from PBAEing more than 30 at once. Guess it depends what youre doing but TS or Faction AE (OoW armor for personas?) still gonna be more efficient to round em all up and AE em in waves.
  9. Ashigaru Augur

Hoping its a mistake, and the numbers have been input incorrectly - seems like a lot of work to just nerf it. However, going on current track record that hope may be misplaced
  10. Iven the Lunatic

It is not but it does depend on the class that does get used. Using your method does waste a lot of time with pulling and kiting mobs around and after the mobs have been killed, you must wait for about half the zone to respawn, before you can pull again. Possible mass pull lag does lower the efficiency even more.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

My setup is fine, but as the program does crash every time, something at my Windows installation might be screwed. Many older 32 bit programs are no longer running correctly or not at all and the compatibility mode does usually never help.
  12. Amex111 Journeyman

Can we please get some more clarity on this:

ClientCore variables in eqclient.ini now set affinity to a physical core (two virtual CPU) for improved performance. Legacy values that conflict with other EQ client instances are reset to -1.

- what does (two virtual CPU) mean?
    - what does it mean in regards to improved performance?
    - what are the ideal values for very strong CPU's that have 16-32 cores?
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Originally I was going to post this to the Test Update 04/09/2024 - New Bugs Only thread but it seems everyone is continuing to post it here so...

With two monitors, in full screen mode it changes to windowed mode when you put the second monitor in focus (EQ on first monitor). Going back to first monitor, it goes back to full screen mode.

To try to describe it better, the white bar at the top with the minimize, window, and close buttons disappears when EQ is in focus and reappears when EQ is not in focus.

Full screen is not a fullscreen windowed mode. It's a full screen mode that switches to windowed when EQ loses focus and back to full screen when EQ is in focus.

Programs like GINA and EQLogParser do not show text with this, making it worthless to many raiders (as well as some group players).

Also, this appears to have broken the https://www.eq2interface.com/downloads/info5106-MakeWindowFullscreen.html which I was so happy for Galvanize to tell me about. It looks like I get my fullscreen windowed mode until the April 17 patch and then it will be gone. One week of bliss then goodbye. Unless this can be fixed before then.

Just to mention, Cairbrae, you are doing a fantastic job with fixing DX11. It should never have gone live like it did but you've been working very hard fixing it and it now is vastly improved. Don't think my complaints about the current state of windowed means I'm not appreciating the work you are doing. As well as the rest of the team.

If this should go in the Bug thread, I can start posting there instead. However, the discussion seems to be here for now.
  14. Soulbanshee Augur

1 physical core runs 2 threads (CPUs), CPU0 and CPU1 are the same physical core and have to share the scheduler, so running 2 games on 1 core will slow down that core.

It means instead of launching on one CPU (ex CPU0), it will now launch on 2 (CPU0 and CPU1) giving it more share of the threading instead of being capped out.

Cores or CPUs? A 16 core hyperthreaded processor will have 32 CPUs (threads). There are some cheap/old Intel processors and AMD processors that do not hyperthread (or some Intel Xeon but aren't typical desktop processors) so 1 CPU is 1 core. Use -1 and don't worry about it.
    Metanis and Meeko like this.
  15. Tuco Augur

Lots of great changes in this patch, thanks everyone for your hard work!
  16. Schadenfreude Augur

If you open your eqclient file you can simulate windowed + fullscreen. At 1440p the following values work for me, you will almost certainly will have to experiment.

RestoredXOffset=-8
    RestoredYOffset=-44

No third party nonsense and all the standard Windows functions operate without issue.*

* on Live at least.
    aiha likes this.
  17. aiha Saryrn [Bertox]

It's funny you mention the offset as I just logged into test (to check some weapons) and it reset my offsets. I have a backup eqclient.ini from a couple weeks ago I was able to copy them from, but fair warning.

WindowedModeXOffset=-8
    WindowedModeYOffset=-26

at 2560x1420 (20pixels shorter than default) works for me.
  18. Cairbrae Developer

In Task Manager they're listed as "Logical processors" on the Performance > CPU page where one physical core typically has a pair of them that share circuitry and performance (hyper-threading). They are the CPU available in the Processor affinity dialog. For example:

Sockets: 1
    Cores: 4
    Logical processors: 8

Before this patch, ClientCore was only enabling one CPU (logical processor) out of the pair and now it enables both halves, which leads to better performance for that setting. These are legacy settings that some players might have done in their eqclient.ini file many years ago.

My recommendation for best performance, posted in another forum thread, is to not use ClientCore and let EQ run on all physical cores (all CPU). So, either delete the ClientCore lines from your eqclient.ini file or set them all to "-1" (use all CPU). This has always been the EQ default. For example:

ClientCore0=-1
    ClientCore1=-1
    ClientCore2=-1
    Quatr and menown like this.
  19. Dubbo New Member

@EQ Dev, @Meeko, @Cairbrae
    What is the reason behind the Unity experience reduction?

Reasons the experience from the Unity mission SHOULD NOT be reduced.:
    • More players grouping for this mission and having genuine fun.
    • Incentivizes purchase of experience potions for even larger boosts.
    • Incentivizes purchase of persona slots because the barrier to get up to speed is slightly reduced.
    • It is good fun and only around for a short time during the year.
    I'd argue a better decision would be to try one or both of these things.:
    • Increase the experience from the plethora of other anniversary quests and missions.
    • Increase the lockout timer on all anniversary missions to encourage mission diversity, but be careful not to increase it to a degree that would be prohibitive.
    During the anniversary events the goal should be to celebrate the game, and encourage players to experience all the fun and interesting quests that have been developed over the years. These missions give the players more interesting ways of getting good experience gains during this time of celebration with more than just a flat experience bonus. Encourage them to do more, not less.

Thank you for your time.
    BullCrap and Yinla like this.
  20. Krazzi Elder

Yeah i hope someone made a typo. End cost to use it going from 750 a sec to 1150 a sec and the amount absorbed drops from 1.5 million to 500k?? And it was "damage that exceeded 25k" now it's 32k?? (maybe that was supposed to be 23k since the new paladin version is 23k??)