Why can't spells be sold back to the vendor?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bobokin, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Bobokin Augur

If someone makes a mistake and purchases two of the same spell, it is $4k down the bit bucket. If someone purchases a spell but finds he has the correct type II spell for that one, it is still $4k down the drain.

Why can't spells be sold back to the vendor? Whose idea was it to do that? What reason was given? Players have been complaining about it for many releases, but nothing has changed.

If spells can't be sold back, they should be LORE.
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

The spells that can not be sold back are no trade.

I agree with you, OP. There should have never been a situation where a spell sold in unlimited quantities is No Trade. There are plenty of spells in easily accessible zones that are sold in unlimited quantities that are no trade. There is no reason for this. We're already taking a penalty because vendors never buy things back for what they sold them for.
  3. Bobokin Augur

Correct. Why was that changed? Why are they No Trade but not Lore?
  4. Bernel Augur

I would guess one reason for No Trade spells is so that you have to own the expansion in order to get the spells. I'm sure they make a few extra expansion sales from people who want the new batch of spells.
    Cavall and Svann2 like this.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

You can trade the runes.
    Vumad likes this.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

NPCs should be excluded from the NO TRADE rule of items, if that is technically possible. It would even increase the sales for Token of Reclamation.
  7. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Are you using the checkbox to only show items you can use? I guess I have not had this issue before but are you saying it shows the spell in the list for the vendor for rank 1 even though you already have rank 2? This may be a bug because spell vendors normally don't show a spell in their list to buy if you already have it. So it should not show a rank 1 spell if you already have the rank 2 or 3 version scribed. If you are seeing a rank 1 after you have rank 2 or 3 you should probably post this under bug forum because it should not show up.

The other case is you just don't have the checkbox checked so you are seeing spells you already have and that is on you.

The only similar cases of this happening to me was when I didn't realize I had already bought a spell but forgot to scribe it so I ended up buying a 2nd one and now have 2 of them but this is correct because I didn't have it scribed yet so of course it shows it as usable in the vendor list.
  8. Bilderov Augur

This. If an item is No Trade, how did the NPC sell it to us in the first place :)

I'd be up for a 'scribed' tag on the NPC list to show we already know the spell, or as mentioned, take NPCs out of the No Trade list so we can sell back to them.

It's even more apparent today when a lot of the spells are all the same apart from a single word (another negative for crap itemisation).
    Andarriel and Vumad like this.
  9. JetZeppelin2h Augur

You know scribed spells don't show up in the list if you check the box on the vendor. It also hides other items like spells for another class that you can't use. The only way for a vendor to show a spell you already have scribed is for the spell to be bugged or you don't have the box checked.
    Bilderov likes this.
  10. FYAD Augur

This is why I don't buy rank 1 spells and just wait until I get rank 2 runes since the runes will show you which spells you've already claimed. Rank 1 is a waste of money unless it doesn't have a corresponding rank 2 version.
  11. Bilderov Augur

This I did not know!

edit: PS, any idea why your posts are being edited by Angeliana?
  12. Bobokin Augur

Casual players don't often get enough runes to cover spells. They certainly don't have the coin to purchases them in the bazaar.
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Bobokin Augur

The game doesn't check until the spell is scribed. If you purchase a spell and it lands in a bag you didn't know had an open spot, you could purchase multiples. If the spell itself was lore, that would not happen.

If you have a rank 2 spell rune in the bank, it won't check for that either. In that case, spells are purchased, but one finds a rune that would have covered it.

In both cases, being able to sell the spell back to the vendor would resolve this. If nothing else, make them lore and heirloom.
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. Bobokin Augur

If they don't own the expansion, why does it matter? If you can't get to level 125, what good are level 121-125 spells? If that is the reason cited, it is illogical.
  15. Bernel Augur

It was just a guess on my part. I was thinking it's more for the expansion which is not a level increase, like NoS after ToL. Both expansions have spells in the 115-120 range. If you only had ToL, you wouldn't be able to get the NoS spells unless you also had the NoS expansions since the NoS scrolls are No Trade. But for spells in a level-increasing expansion, it doesn't seem like No Trade would be needed. If you don't have the expansion, you won't be able to reach the level where you could use the spell anyway. Another guess is that they make them all No Trade since it's simpler than deciding when to have the flag and when to not.
    Rijacki likes this.
  16. Bobokin Augur

Do non-level expacs really have many NEW spells? Even the spell runes often give the same spells.

That is likely the answer. It is easier (read lazy) to just make the spells No Trade and forget about it.
  17. KarmaKitty Augur

It prevents you from passing spells on to others, that would be just horrid.
    As a bonus, you are free to make a mistake and eat it.

I just buy all available for my class. If I get a higher rank version, that is a bonus. I even buy the ones I don't expect to use. I take a little more care with the associated augs.
    Bobokin likes this.
  18. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

Still wondering what causes dev edits. Speak, Jet!
  19. Aanuvane Augur

At least they can be tributed rather than just destroyed.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Angeliana is not a dev but is the Senior Community Manager and as such has the responsibility to monitor all posts.

Any interaction with a post will show up as an edit even if they don't make changes.

If the poster is new then the first post they make is usually held for approval which will show the edit comment even though no edit was made.

If the poster is on thin ice for posting borderline comments or any infractions then their posts might get monitored and then show edited.

If the post was reported for content then it might get edited without a warning. Or we might get a warning.

Rijacki and Fanra like this.