Please go back to the roots of EQ's gameplay loop

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nesalie, Apr 4, 2024.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

People are STILL complaining about mob kill XP? :confused:

XP is too plentiful. I have more max level characters than ever before. It's bordering on ridiculous.
  2. CdeezNotes Augur

So your evidence is a single guild leader? And what is the "geared" guild entail? All T1? All TS? I'm very much in doubt raids that only drop specific ores for items that don't always drop will result in quicker gearing than events that provided guaranteed drops used for all items. Provide actual proof and stop spreading hearsay.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I prefer the ore/nugget system over the slot-specific system. Disregard drop rate the ore/nugget is simpler to manage.

Not sure why anyone would argue otherwise. :confused:
    Barraind likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...id-chests-0-loots.295776/page-14#post-4297032

This post from Adetia, and I am talking about the TS gear not the T1 drops. Remember it isn't just the drops (which can be up to 6 later on) but the fact that the parts to make it can be bought for cheaper overall on the raid merchant depending on what slots you need.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

They must have had the best RNG over the course of year. Seems entirely like an anomaly to get the right slots and in the right amounts.

It's impossible for universal ore to be slower than specific slot. Just take a moment to think about it logically.
    Nennius, Barraind and Velisaris_MS like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That isn't true as not only is it possible to have more drops over time but the cost of purchasing items from the vendor to make up for what you don't get is lower. If it really was the case that it takes longer to gear up wouldn't there be plenty of raid guilds showing the evidence from the raid/loot logs that it is taking longer? Seems like it would be pretty simple to show that it is taking longer instead of just posting feeling that it is.

Adetia posted that information from the loot system that shows how fast people are getting gear rather then just go with how it feels based on seeing nothing in the chests.
  7. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

No, you're not thinking about it logically. Currency gain between both systems is the same. Universal ore will always be faster than specific slot drops.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't think that the cheaper items with the new system won't make it quicker to buy them if they are not dropping? I provided a post from a guild leader saying that the new system let them gear up faster, do you have evidence showing it otherwise? Or is it just how it feels?
  9. Bilderov Augur

XP is plentiful but much of it is in the wrong areas for certain players; progression, missions, Overseer, collections.

It's more around switching the gameplay back (to some extent) so players can choose to head off away from the missions / progression and just find a cave, castle, dungeon and spend a few hours killing mobs and chilling. We would want to do this and still feel like we're getting exp at a similar rate to someone who is doing one of the other options.

Personally, I've hit lvl 125 on all my main characters and now feel like I want to jump into the 'game', but all it has become is a couple of missions that I probably can't do on my own.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

There are "wrong" areas for XP gain? :D
  11. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Shadowrest?
  12. Dre. Altoholic

Gamers are the ones who have won EQ.

By quitting.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Thanks for calling all of us losers. Self-loathing FTW?
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  14. Dre. Altoholic

Quitting at quitting. Next level?
  15. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Great post! For me, the original EverQuest release has all the elements you described. The fear of the unknown as you venture from your safe haven racial starting town. The thrill of discovery and exploration. The mastery of your class. The friends you meet along the way as you start to join groups. Acquiring better gear as you progress.

The original EQ has all the traditional high fantasy tropes and Tolkienesque vibe too. The original character art is outstanding as well. The animations were ahead of their time. The art has a cohesiveness to it that later expansions started to erode.

Over the years, they started to minimize the hardships and risk by removing corpse runs and I think that hurt the game in the long run because at the time every MMORPG was looking at WoW for inspiration.

EverQuest vanilla was magic in a bottle and that's why TLP servers are so popular. I just don't understand why the developers don't veer off the current trajectory more often and create some interesting zones with more of a sandbox feel.

There's a trend in the video game industry right now that games are going to back to reexperience older games and new AAA games are flopping. The same thing is happening with TV shows too. I think this is because the older generation of creative s were far better craftsmen than we are seeing today. If EG7 were smart, they would capitalize on this and get moving on EQ3 ASAP.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Keeping multiple sets of gear so that you have the ability to retrieve your gear is not an enjoyable experience, just as getting killed again after you get a rez and before you can loot your gear isn't enjoyable. There is a reason that most modern MMO's don't force players to go on a corpse run to retrieve their gear.

As far as danger and exploring goes that is something that goes away on its own as players learn the content.
    Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  17. Cicelee Augur

Original EQ also did not have EQ Resource, or Alla, or raidloot.com, or allowed players 2-3 months to test out all the expansion content and learn every raid strat, every mission strat, and know exactly where to go and what to do.

I miss that adventure. I also realize that EQ is never going to be like that again. I am appreciative of an expansion that works, and provides some enjoyment and accomplishment. This is my first and only MMO, so I will stay until I no longer get enjoyment. An EQ3 may provide some adventure, unless they open Beta to all and EQR has walkthroughs for everything before launch day. But even if that does not happen, it won't be for me. I will be happy for those that pursuit, and hope they relive the rose colored glasses they had in 1999.

PS- TLP are not popular because there is a sense of new adventure when it launches. Everyone knows what to do and what to expect.
    Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  18. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I agree, it is absolutely impossible to capture that wonder of a new adventure in a game you've been playing in zones you've already been in. TLPs only capture a bit of the "magic" of having a bunch of characters in the original ones. But, that is exactly the same as the bunch of characters present in a new expansion's zones with the added bonus of the new zones being 'new' unless you've been playing on Beta.

A new game has that veneer of wonder and 'magic' in exploration and discovery but only until you've been everywhere and done all the things.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Bilderov Augur

Recently, I was offered the following options to gain exp on this forum.

1. Earn exp at 0.01% of a kill
    2. Pay someone millions of plat to be TA'd through a mission without even leaving PoK.
    3. Play the Overseer for 10% a day by logging in for 10 minutes every 24 hours.
    4. Wait until the bonus exp periods appear every few months and play then.

These are all areas where, for players like me, exp is abundant in the wrong places.

Developers don't want me to trawl through the zones in this game looking for nice spots to camp for a few hours, kill mobs every 15 mins or so with a chance at some nice loot, and a respectable amount of exp. This would currently earn them at least 3 x monthly subscriptions as I'd want the AAs and prestige gear to play this way.

They would prefer I do all of the above points instead which brings them in exactly 0 x monthly subscriptions as I could do it all as a FTP player.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

1. Kill XP could be better. Like increase to 0.03% per even con at 125.
    2. Why would anyone pay for this? Do it yourself.
    3. Overseer XP is a nice way to log in and get some fast yellow bar movement.
    4. Could be even sweeter if kill XP was increased 4-5x.
    Honestly, if they had some zones set up for much longer spawn times but huge ZEM, that could be a cool way to increase per kill XP. That way those who like to grind mobs can do so. Unfortunately I don't have the time to sit around for 6 hours like I did in LGuk waiting to get into a Frenzy group for my FBSS. I don't miss those days, either. :)
    I'm busy and I've adapted my playstyle to my life. Thankfully, EQ has also adapted to those of us yet-to-retire geezers with a life to live and given us avenues to feel like we're progressing in Norrath.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.