Changes I would have made to the TWO rulesets to better serve the population split

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Kahna Augur

Yes, one is far more fun. (It's the random loot, random loot is far more fun.) But it really didn't take any longer to get items, and was actually much easier to get what you wanted then on a standard server. So.. Yeah.. Not a nightmare. You will eventually get your drop. Yeah it is a larger pool, but each kill is like 2-4 kills and the server has 50% increased rare spawns. It doesn't take long. It really doesn't.
  2. Celatusp99 Augur

WIll bring people like me back too whom have not played since like a month into oakwynd
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  3. Intercept Augur

They didn't miss the boat, anyone can join Mischief at any time they want.
  4. Celatusp99 Augur

Its not the same as starting out there.
  5. Intercept Augur

For sure, I'm sure many of the people currently playing said ruleset will reroll on said ruleset
  6. Kahna Augur

Yeah. Sure. You are smarter than that, stop being obtuse. You knew what I meant and you know what people who didn't roll on Mischief are looking for from Teek. Don't pretend you don't. It's not a good look.
    Sebbun and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that was because it had free trade and a lot of extra loot dropping on each kill, take those elements away and it becomes harder to gear up when you get unusable drops.
  8. MMOer Augur

Unusable to everyone in the group? You are very self focused. Also, people call rots in zone.

Not sure what you are even arguing about here. One server is already RL FT so you get what you want. Play on that server.

What do you care if the other is just RL no FT?

Unless you are worried some will like the other option that an not pile onto the server with the ruleset you like.
    Sebbun likes this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Pointing out that random loot could easily cause drops that no one in the group can use is self centered? Just because you have the ability to let others know there is gear rotting that the group can't use doesn't mean it isn't upsetting for the group at the camp to get nothing that they can use.

This is just pointing out a major problem that a random loot server would have if it wasn't a free trade server at all.
    Tyranthraxus and Appren like this.
  10. MMOer Augur

It is a nothing problem. Teek exists and solves this minor issue you are on about.

Something your group can not use drops. Just call it out in OOC. Ez.

This is the way it is done on servers.

Or let it rot and keep on grinding.

Not every drop needs to be sellable.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The issue isn't single items that you can't use but when nothing on the mob drops that you can use. Just because you have the option of letting others loot it or letting it rot doesn't mean that players are going to be happy about not getting anything that they can use.
  12. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Interesting issue. Can you give a couple of examples, say from Mischief? I never encountered this on Mischief, so curious to see what mob dropped what combo of loot pinata where noone in the group could use it. In theory, even with no Free Trade, would be rare.
  13. Xhieron Elder

That Teek and Mischief are bad for the krono business is a fantastic benefit. It is absolutely true that many krono now in the game have been in circulation across multiple servers, and it doesn't really matter that at some point real money was used to create them. [After all, because the only krono sink is voluntary, any whale can at any time inject an arbitrarily large amount of them into the economy. That's not really a problem.] Once they're in the game economy, they're a commodity that just stands for a plat value at any point in time (even on post-dupe servers, which is a huge f*cking problem that it's impossible to overstate).

The presence of high value money camps on normal servers doesn't mean anybody's creating real money out of nothing, and I don't think anyone's made that mistake or making that argument; the problem is the transfer for in-game items and subsequent re-selling of the krono, often as part of RMT. That creates the financial incentive for some of the worst behaviors in the history of the post-krono game. The bot farms, the raid-boxes, all that? Those are sophisticated operations, and they hate random loot because it means those money drops can't be monopolized and sold back to the regular playerbase.

Random loot is a rising tide that increases wealth across the entire server, and that's why it's so incredibly popular among the normal players. Every anecdote you can find on these forums is about how much easier it is to gear on Mischief. If you're someone whose MO in the game is to corner the market and prey on people's desperation for good loot in order to empty their krono wallets (whether to sell or not), you need that desperation, and random loot removes it. Thing is, the rest of us hate those guys, so we're all going to play on Teek.

When it comes to rotting loot or invaluable loot dropping--so what? That's not really a material change from normal servers. Sometimes the stuff that drops isn't the stuff you want. That's the game.
    Giladryan likes this.
  14. Giladryan Ruan the Reckless

I agree with this thread to a tee. I'm someone who has played just about each TLE that has come out. The last few, I've admittedly only committed kinda half-heartedly, because deep down I've been waiting for another Mischief-style server. I'd jump into Mischief itself, but it just feels too far along and like I'd be missing certain key bits of EQ history. I've been telling myself that "the next time they do a Mischief server!", I'm going to fully commit, etc. etc., and I know for sure there are others like me because I've read their posts.

So you have that whole situation - the oft-requested return of the favorite "special" rule set ever; then on the other hand, you have a server with no real special rules (Tormax)... Well, J-Chan essentially said it herself in the address - multiple servers have come and gone since Mischief went live. People are still playing and enjoying Mischief - it's still popular. I don't see anyone wanting to play Tormax when the alternative is the super appealing amusement park server that everyone has been requesting for years.
  15. Kahna Augur

How is this any different than a normal server. If I am a mage at Lguk ghoul lord camp on a normal server literally everything the named drops is something I can't use. On a random loot server there is a really good chance that something I want will drop. I feel like you just don't like fun.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

On a normal server you are camping mob X for drop Y and while you might not get it every time you kill mob X you know it will drop from that camp. On a random loot server you can't camp mob X for drop Y as it could just drop other items each time you kill it and those being items that no one in the group needs/wants. With free trade you have the option of selling/trading those unwanted/unneeded items for the ones that you need, this is assuming that the items are normally no trade.
  17. Kahna Augur

You can still camp the item you need from the mob that regularly drops it, rares spawn more often and drop more loot per kill, it doesn't take long to get what you want and on the drops where you didn't get what you wanted someone in the group did, probably someone in the group who would never have gotten anything they needed at the camp without random loot. 95% of group loot is already tradable in the expansions where group loot matters, after Luclin or so everyone has raid loot and no longer cares about group loot. I feel like you are trying to manufacture a problem that doesn't actually exist.
  18. Giladryan Ruan the Reckless

This... isn't really representative of how Mischief works. If you're camping X mob, where X is literally any rarespawn in the game, you're exponentially more likely to get any item on its loot table, plus more items total. There's a few factors in play here, for one, the total number of rare spawns is increased. You'll see the rare mob itself a lot more times total over the course of your camp on a Mischief rule server than you would a normal one. So there's more total chances to roll on its loot table than a normal server. Then the outcomes per rare are also more favorable, as that mob has the propensity to: drop nothing (rarely), drop one-two of its normal items, drop its entire table, or do a same-level loot pinata explosion, which may still include items from its native loot table.

Even using the example of a Guk camp above, you're still much more likely to come away from a camp with yaks, Bonecaster Robes, the whole shabang - because you'll see the rares more, and on some of those spawns, the pinata bursts and you just get everything plus more. Frankly, there's no situation that represents the one you're attempting to convey as problematic; IE, there's no "mage/person not getting ____ item," because in any situation on a Mischief-style server, he and everyone else are getting exponentially more than they would be on a normal server.
    Kahna and Crabman like this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And when those camps don't drop the desired items and only drop stuff that no one needs people will complain.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I will still argue that when groups get items that no one can use and they are no drop you will see complaints on the forums.