Incoming < queue > assist me

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by auto21, Apr 5, 2024.

1. auto21 Augur

TL:DR solve queue by launching multiple Teek servers, then gradually merge.

It's obvious Teek will be very popular at launch, like Aradune was or perhaps even more so. As excitement builds towards launch day, we also all know and expect the darkside of popular rulesets: the queue.

Aradune launch was a mess. Hours upon hours sittings in a virtual queue only to be frequrntly kicked out. The impact was manyfold 1) people left/quit 2) missed out on playtime with friends/family to a point where they outleveled eachother so they couldn't easily group even when they did get it 3) missing out on the initial economy 4) general frustration etc

My simple suggestion is to launch multiple Teek servers and merge

/discuss
    Search and Rescue likes this.
  2. Moege Augur

5) people not logging off, just keeping their character active ingame.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The biggest problem with server merges is that it takes all servers down for 24 hours while they do it. They could potentially do it and them merge then in July when they do Mischief and Thorneblade, but then you have the issue over name conflicts.

If everyone has created chars prior to launch how much of a queue will there actually be at launch? Especially if it means they don't need to restrict how many players are logging in at the same time.
  4. auto21 Augur

Okay. Surely they can include the additional merge servers in the naming conflict checks?

The pre-char creation based on playtime is a good idea and will give a good indication of player count at launch, but I highly doubt they are looking at this to alleviate the pending queue OR if they are, it's unlikely to help either way. The only meaningful impact would be multiple servers and a merge.

Based on initial feedback about Tormax, they may as well change it to be one of the Teek merge servers.
  5. Elabone Augur

They need to just launch 2 servers and then commit right now to merge them next year no matter what. Even if the pops are healthy, there's a much higher likelihood of a server taking a dive during year 2.

Launch 2 servers, merge them next year and we will be golden.
  6. Fizon Augur

The problem is they never merge the servers. Thornblade was supposed to merge back into mischief and I'm pretty sure that never happened. Then you end up with a dead server and people that missed out on being the high pop one. I won't be making that mistake this time around. I do t care what the ques are
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

Fun fact, there won't be any queues on Oakwynd, or any other servers currently active.

A merger is tentatively scheduled for this summer, the normal window for server mergers, per a past producer's letter IIRC. It can be found in the Announcements section of the forums, but you'll have to dig for it yourself.
  8. Tyranthraxus Grognard

The Name reserve thing may take away alot of the queue. Still would like to see more details on how that's going to work
  9. auto21 Augur

How about instead of just name reserving, grant early access to new TLPs based on playtime?
    This would give meaningful benefits to long term supporters of the game and alleviate the queues!
  10. Search and Rescue Journeyman

Since I came back to EQ about a month ago, both on live and on Oakwynd if you are inactive and touch nothing for 1hr you get auto booted so this is not an issue.

I also hate this new auto booting but it keeps the servers running smoother so I understand why they do it, but it's still bs.
    Tyranthraxus likes this.
  11. Moege Augur

Oh sweet summer child, people set up their mouse/keyboards to just press a key to circumvent the autokick.
  12. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Sell premium access to be priority in server queue. Profit $$$.
  13. auto21 Augur

it would be funny if everyone buys them so we all start at the same time anyway.. oh wait
  14. Elabone Augur

Sure. If I'm able to add up the total of every EQ account I've ever played on.

You subbing for 1 year isn't much different from me playing 6 for 3 months. Especially after the veteran aa changes.
  15. TLP Addict Augur

Yeah they listened to players when Mischief was announced and launched an overflow server. People went there expecting that they would merge at some point.

[IMG]
  16. Mithra Augur

They really should expect similar numbers as Mischief and announce an overflow server early
  17. Krizem Augur

Add an overflow server, but preannounce that it will merge in OOW or something so there's no confusion. If they leave everyone to wonder when exactly a merge will happen, people will have the dead server fear and roll on the main one even if they'd rather not.