Should Tormax be a boxing server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Varyk, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Varyk Lorekeeper

I just want to get the conversation started here and see what everyone thinks.

I think the unanimous concern from what I've seen/heard so far is that Teek will be the server everyone plays while Tormax will essentially be dead on arrival. Granted, the awful queue times for Teek may push people in the direction of Tormax, but my assumption is that most people liked the Mischief ruleset so much that they'll wait out the queues regardless.

It seemed like there was a general hope from many that with the addition of two servers we would see one that was Truebox and one that was not. I think removing the Truebox ruleset from Tormax will be a nice way to spread out the population.

Lastly, to address the obvious concern, it is my hope that most of the raid-boxers/Krono farmers will gravitate more towards the Teek server as there is more profit to be had with free trade while "casual boxers" get to enjoy their experience boxing solo and with their friends in raids.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: Seems like the consensus is that people would be happier with Tormax also having similar loot rulesets but having boxing enabled. I think when it comes down to it, their decision to separate us by doing "Mischief loot vs. no Mischief loot" was incorrect. The better separation comes with "boxing vs. trueboxing"
  2. itiswhatitis Elder

You would have to make tormax atleast fv no drop if you make it boxing. Just boxing in general would still be a flop.
  3. Vicus Augur

My thoughts are, when Miragul was announced everyone spent months asking for it to be boxing. It was literally the perfect server for it. The launch discord had between 3000-5000 people it in at it's high point when it looked like they might be listening and launch it as a box server. Then two weeks before launch they stated it was truebox. That discord had less then 800 people in at by launch time. That server was DOA outside of one guild after 30 days.

But a year later they launched Rizlona. And I believe they regret that decision every day due to the customer service request they had about programs.

But I agree with you, it should be a boxing server because Rizlona, which lasted a LONG TIME in terms of guilds clearing content, are looking for a new home. But because it makes sense, and the team has a history of not making changes like that once they announce stuff....it's not going to happen.

But
    /signed.
  4. Ragnoruk Augur

I would like to see Tormax mimic the Teek server but with FTE and relaxed truebox from the start.
  5. Sheila Elder

I'll sign this too. I'd play on a TLP even with crappy ruleset if it was non-truebox, though I'd much prefer they just dupe Teek and make Tormax a mischief clone without Trueboxing.

You also can't convince me that Tormax wasn't a boxer as he almost always came with his 2 guards because of messed up monk pulling!
    dwiguslowater likes this.
  6. Bartholomo Journeyman

I agree. It would have been much better to offer a completely vanilla server with free trade, like FV and call it a day. As it stands, most of us are going to be on the mischief ruleset. It was to good for its own good so to speak.
  7. Tachyon Augur

don't care one way or another gave up boxing myself.... boring... i like to group and meet people
  8. Varyk Lorekeeper

I do too, don't get me wrong. I like the raiding environment and talking to people in zones. I just enjoy 6-boxing because the times I play are sporadic, and based on my experience of reading forums and watching on discord there are many people like me who I think would be very happy if we had a server like Tormax that we could play in.
    Pumped and Sheila like this.
  9. dwiguslowater Journeyman

Yes please make it a boxing server. People who box haven't had a fresh non true box server in 4 years. It'll take a good portion of the boxers off Teek (sure, not the big cheat operations), but enough that the anti-box folks who can't stand the sight of box groups will be happier. It's a win for everyone
  10. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

How do the people that really want Tormax to be a boxing server feel about it also having FTE enabled? I'm ambivalent about the former but would like the option for the latter, if the same can be said of the people that really want a server for boxing then it might be a match made in heaven.
  11. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

While i dont know about the success of making it a boxing server, making Tormax a Mischief clone with Encounter Locking as opposed to Teek's straight mischief, while it probably wouldnt be an even split, would probably be a much more friendly split for the smaller server.
  12. itiswhatitis Elder

I am good with that.
    Sheila likes this.
  13. Sheila Elder

I am so ambivelant to FTE. I see talks about "no more trains", which is what FTE is supposed to prevent. I've been trained maybe 3 times across mutliple TLPs. I'm sure they happen. I'm sure it sucks when they do. But that really truly feels like EQ to me.

One other thing I see is it prevents KSing. But that just encourages someone to be the first to tag a mob. How does this help?

I don't think I'd be on board a TLP with FTE unless it truly fixed issues with people running into a camp and claiming a mob and I just genuinely do not feel like this accomplishes that. Rather than this work, they should have offered private instances that respawn for $$ or from a quest or something.

With all of that said, if that's what I have to do to get a non-truebox mischief, let's go!
  14. gnomesteve New Member

+1 for making Tormax a boxing server. Preferably a Teek clone without truebox. I don't care about FTE, but if other people want it I certainly don't mind :)

Clearly they need to do *something* to Tormax. And it seems like this is the option that would make a lot of people happy
  15. Soriano Augur

When a level 35 wants to XP on level 32-38 mobs and a level 50 is there KSing every pull FTE fixes it...

When any one level appropriate gets a AC spawn in OOT they can tag it and the other higher level players can not just steal it.

When you have a camp and are clearing a PH people are less inclined to challenge you to chase you out when it is first to engage not who can out damage the other.

FTE works...Oakwynd would be strong if not for two issues within a week of one another.
    Search and Rescue likes this.
  16. Zansobar Augur

I think if it was a Mischief 2.0 with FTE it would be more popular than Teek. But not with boxing.
    Soriano likes this.
  17. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

A lot of the value of FTE doesn't even involve invoking the actual mechanics. It makes camps much firmer and generally results in people respecting each other's space. It's just a lower friction experience in general because the option isn't even there to fight over an engaged enemy.
    Search and Rescue, Appren and Soriano like this.
  18. Tharvog Elder

Anything against free trade is going to be lower pop... its nice to have options but unless its also some type of event server its likely not going to be very interesting. Aradune was only really popular because lockdowns and there wasnt a special ruleset option at the time.

We loved our phinny clones, but do we now? That road is getting a bit worn out .... if its variety in server options were looking for.. Selos would be a better choice or give these guys their pvp server.
  19. Zansobar Augur

Aradune was popular because they promised a paid GM to enforce the botting rules and it was a strict two box MAX server.
    Ragnoruk and Vicus like this.
  20. Soriano Augur

I would NEVER play on a PVP server EQ is just not good for PVP imho...that said...

if they are going to waste a server with the current plan for Tormax against a free trade server they may as well give the PvP folks their new server, it will draw more than the current plan for Tormax.
    Tharvog likes this.