Latest EQ patch files

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Caemien, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Caemien Elder

I am having an issue with my EQ patcher. Is there any other way to get the latest files that were patched on 3/29 and 4/1?
  2. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Have you tried fixing the patcher first? Since it affects a lot of other things in the game.
  3. Bernel Augur

If you have any EQ clients running at the time, shutting them down may help. If there are patched files that are in use, Windows may not allow the patcher to update the files and the patcher may seem stuck.
  4. Caemien Elder

My patcher is being blocked by a firewall in the current environment that I am in so was hoping to find a copy of the files somewhere
  5. Metanis Bad Company

Use your phone's hotspot temporarily as an alternate Internet source? Or try playing with a VPN so your local firewall can't see the traffic?
  6. fransisco Augur

DB doesn't support running the game without using the patcher.
  7. Bernel Augur

One option in this situation might be to download the files outside of the firewall, copy the EverQuest directory to a USB key and then copy them to the computer that's behind the firewall. But even if you could get the files copied over, I would expect the same firewall to block the EQ traffic just like it did the patcher.
  8. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Are you trying to run EQ on a computer you don't have admin rights on? If it is just a firewall then add the exception for EQ onto the firewall so it can go through.

Only thing I can think of is you are trying to run EQ on a computer such as a work computer you don't have full control on and you can't ask them to allow EQ to run on it so their firewall is doing what it is suppose to and blocking you from playing games on that computer.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Firewall rules are not always controlled by the computer in question and could be controlled by network level equipment.
  10. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Sure but that means you are using a work network or something that isn't' controlled by you. If you are on a home personal paid internet connection there is no issue with changing this stuff.

So my point stands that either you are trying to play EQ on a internet connection you don't own and they don't want you to play games on their network or they are trying to do it from a work computer and similar types of blocks.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure, but the issue is that the the block isn't always at the computer level and in fact could be at the ISP level depending where in the world the person is living. But lets be honest here if it really was a network block why would they be able to play the game at all and just be unable to patch?
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

That's why they have eqgame.exe patchme that skips the patcher, right? Because they don't support such things.
    WFSBelaar, Bilderov and Fenthen like this.
  13. JetZeppelin2h Augur

I don't have any examples for recent years but I know back in the late 90s I have seen issues where a game patch location was getting blocked for possible virus type things but the game itself would run perfectly fine once you patched it. It got to the point where this game I can't remember the name of it had 2 different links to patch files because so many people couldn't hit one of the servers but could hit the other. Then the game servers never had issues for people once they could get patched.

I would think a game like EQ would be big enough and in todays world where online gaming isn't abnormal that this shouldn't be an issue from anything being blocked on the ISP level.

Heck it could be a VPN as well I know when I have my VPN running it is a nightmare to stay logged in and post on these forums, but I can drop off the VPN and stay connected and post no problem. Something to do with their cookies or maybe related to others using the VPN and causing conflicts on the sight cookies or something I don't know.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that is different then a firewall blocking traffic. Yes, there are many things that could be wrong but jumping to the conclusion that it is a firewall issue isn't helping.
  15. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Well depends on how you really want to define firewall. The most basic definition is something that monitors computer transfer and blocks certain messages which can be done in a ton of different ways and not all of them are normally called firewalls.

Technically in some of the AI code I write and play around with I have firewalls in place to block locally what the AI can see and do. This isn't your normal firewall but is basically the same thing.
  16. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

17. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

They provide that as an "emergency" bypass. It is unsupported.

There is a way to disable the airbags in my car. However, if I disable them, the auto company's lawyers will laugh if I try to collect damages from an injury that occurred due to the airbags being disabled.

Just because an option exists does not mean it is supported.
    Rijacki and fransisco like this.
  18. Febb Augur

Once you fix your firewall, you'll be able to download the patched files.
  19. JetZeppelin2h Augur

There is a program called fiddler (I don't like the new version I still prefer using fiddler classic) but it will let you monitor calls your computer makes and you could maybe figure out where it is failing when you try to patch. I would say try that and post the information on this thread and maybe it can help us figure out where your problem is.
  20. Caemien Elder

Thanks all for the ideas. It was definitely a firewall blocking me but I was able to use the patchme technique yesterday to get around it. I also put EQ from my home computer on a USB drive and was able to copy it to my other computer and no longer needs to be patched.
    Metanis likes this.