Player made expansion !

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iven, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Iven the Lunatic

After 25 years and 30 expansions it would be time for a player made expansion !

It could be made in classic style to reduce the difficulty and for nostalgia. A group of six players could build a team for each zone, so that about 42 players would be needed for the whole expansion. Additionally someone who does the key art and an overseer.

Typical zone team:
    • 1 world / zone builder
    • 1 environment texture artist
    • 1 NPC artist
    • 1 3D animator
    • 1 story and quest writer
    • 1 programmer / engineer
    Send Angeliana a message if you want to be a volunteer !
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would advise not sending her a message as this isn't something that is possible or will ever happen due to various labor laws preventing it.
    Tarvas, Kaenneth, fransisco and 3 others like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Today

EVERYBODY LIES!
    GNOME_POWER likes this.
  4. Scila Augur

Why start a new thread for something that has already been discussed including why it's not practical?
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am guessing it is meant as an April fools joke considering the date. Though I would say it is in poor taste as it seems to be designed to fill Angelina's inbox
  6. fransisco Augur

I Cannot imagine anything going wrong with this. A political view in a quest offending people, gear favoring some classes over others, granting special or OP abilities to favored classes, ect. Introduction to powerful click effects like epic 2.0s that effect the game forever aftewards?

What about support? If there is a bug, DB is on the hook at the end of the day. Poorly designed for broken content? Legal liabilties or fights over content/rights?

While it would be great if we could in some way contribute, the list of reasons no company would do this are a mile long. Modding gives a game legal shielding, as its not an official part of the game and characters can choose to add it. That changes the game on your computer for you to play by yourself and doesn't impact other players or the main game. However in a game where we all have to play together, player made abilities and items could wreck the game.
  7. Risiko Augur

There already are play made expansions. They just aren't available on EverQuest proper. P99 is an example.

There are some truly creative ones out there, but I do not believe we are allowed to mention any other than P99 here.
    Marton and fransisco like this.
  8. DeadRagarr Augur

I would make Kaleimdor the expansion. Its based on a continent with orcs, trolls, Big cow people, etc. They are all in an group called a umm swarm, and you like fight them and stuff.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

So not everyone does like a player made expansion ?! :cool:

Nah !

Grats for failing onto my april fools prank a second time, McMarrin. Be grateful to Yinla for the tip ! Now we only have to search for your humor beside the eastern eggs.

April, april everyone ! :D
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How is pointing out that people shouldn't be sending PM's in mass to Angenlia falling for your stupid April fools joke? If you look a few posts down I even state that this was likely a poor attempt at an April fools joke.
    Kyzvs likes this.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

Yeah, after you did red Yinla's post. Bristlebane with you my friend ! :D

"You fool me, but you can't get fooled again."

12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are sure making a leap in logic when my post was stating that people should not PM Angelina because what you where suggesting was fake. You made a poor attempt at an April fools joke that was designed to harass someone else and you seem to want to make yourself feel better by thinking that someone got fooled by it.

The fact is I never cared about your poor attempt at a joke and just wanted to try and prevent people from sending her PM's over it.
    Kyzvs likes this.
  13. KarmaKitty Augur

But they have already done stick figures.
  14. Iven the Lunatic

15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You really think that I took a post from a player with a poorly thought out joke as real and not a bad April fools joke? The fact that it wasn't made by a Daybreak employee, it wasn't in the news section and it wasn't posted on the everquest site made it perfectly clear that it wasn't real. I just posted to try and keep people from spamming Angelina's inbox.

Not sure why you keep trying to claim that I fell your your poorly thought out April fools joke when it was clear at a glance what you where trying to do.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Someone was recently riding with the train without having a ticket. When the controller catched him, he said:
    "I knew that I had to buy a ticket, but I wanted to avoid wasting money and was protecting the rain forest by not wasting paper."
  17. Flatchy Court Jester

Come on you guys , hug it out, buckle to buckle.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not sure why you want to keep insisting that you fooled me even though I have stated multiple times why your poorly thought out joke was never believable for the start as well as why I responded in the first place.
  19. JetZeppelin2h Augur

It would be great if there was a way for player made missions to run for fun. So many other games have had really good success doing it such as fortnite etc.

Players make a fun mission and you will have tons more people wanting to play them, you don't need a reward if it is fun. That is the problem with EQ is so much isn't fun and it is all about getting the reward so you can stop running the mission. After a certain number of people have all got the reward they stop playing until the next expansion leaving those who need help with none.
  20. uberkingkong Augur

Honestly should be open source not EQ1 but playermade EQ.
    Be like, we give you permission to do Qeynos, have fun.
    Then someone goes in
    and people support them.

Future is open world, open server.
    You just provide barebones. Let the server host tweak things and create interest and what not.
    If you look at the mods,

Basically its just you making your own TLP in EQ.
    Everyone visions different.
    no box, can box
    slow xp, fast xp
    raid bosses spawn 3 times quicker, raid bosses spawn 3 times slower

You do all that in Palworld. You use mods to do even more and some mods change pals into something else, graphic change.

Ifsomeone was really into EQ, they could change pals and replace them with EQ mobs and things like chillet is replaced by tunare.