Fixed Recent Hotfix and Worse Lag

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Allayna, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Allayna Augur

*** Miscellaneous ***

- Optimized NPC respawn processing and reduced its contribution to per-frame spikes by at least 50%.

Several percent behind other characters in the raid "What is it For?", seeing people alive who are dead. Turning /log off INSTANTLY fixed it and caught the character up. This was not the fix you think it was and has broken the logging and lag.

This event doesn't even have spawning of NPCs, just frequent auras.
    Syndr, Cadira, Iuwene and 20 others like this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

What's the size of your log file?
    Syndr and minimind like this.
  3. Jack Elder

Same issues on the same raid. Started new log file today when logged in.
    Syndr and Claaire of FV like this.
  4. Allayna Augur

Smaller than it has ever been. Not an issue prior to THIS hotfix. I've had no issues in the past playing with multiple GB log files, it's under a gb currently.
    Syndr likes this.
  5. Vekaras Ranger of the Too Long Name

This issue seems to be specific to the hidden data that is sent. I'm spitballing here but it only really occurs in raids, and it seems to me that the filtering of data is delayed and its putting more load on the client than it used to pre-hotfix.

Making some broad assumptions about the client function but it seems like the client is supposed to drop a lot of the 'hide' text messages. But now its spending more time trying to parse or read through that data, instead of just skipping it.

Many players are reporting that since the hotfix once they get into raid their client starts lagging behind as if all that data was queuing. Depending on the player/pc it sometimes takes >1 hour to catch up for others its more like a few minutes (on a short raid like kanghammer)
    Syndr, Claaire of FV and Allayna like this.
  6. Herf Augur

Since the patch my micro PC, which use to function pretty well, now is like a 10fps slide show in any kind of crowd in PoK, or in raids. I'm not logging anything.
    Syndr and Claaire of FV like this.
  7. Rashod Lorekeeper

Raids were rough tonight, with many folks falling behind while others had no issues.
    tanith, edsarto and Herf like this.
  8. Raccoo Augur

Did you check the eqzone number?

We had this same problem, around the same time this post was made, in Shadows raid in Timorous, on Cazic thule.
    Syndr likes this.
  9. Windance Augur

The patch fixed the npc spawn lag I was getting on the mushroom raid.

I did notice that turning into the lag piles is back. To be fair it was back with the last full patch, not the out of cycle patch.
    edsarto and Herf like this.
  10. Cairbrae Developer

An aura is often an invisible NPC casting a spell.
    Beimeith likes this.
  11. Kalvenie Elder

I am unsure whether this is lag related to log file.
    Even with logging off, I have periods where the game is fully unresponsive - that nothing is happening on my screen and yet, the game client side is still progressing a fight.
    Ping / packet data is low / 100%.
  12. Miminona New Member

Someone in our guild timed how long it took her to catch up to the rest of us at over an hour.
  13. Allayna Augur

I don't know what to say, turning /log off completely eliminated the lag and instantly caught my character/s back up, while others in the raid said turning /log off did nothing at all. But something in this hotfix fubar'd the game.
  14. 0n0w1c New Member

Due to the recent changes (within last 24 hours), for me, simple multi-window boxing is no longer viable with any settings options. The first game window opened seems to work reasonably fine with subsequent logins, however the lag experienced with the subsequent logins renders them basically unusable. No settings options I have tried seems to make any significant performance difference. Even only Luclin figures is equally laggy. I have tried near plane, only my spells, all the game config memory options, etc. Basically the same performance.

Watching my GPU monitor shows that upon opening a subsequent login causes the GPU utilization to rise into the upper 90's. A single window runs about 30% and seems to work fine with just about any Settings options.

Mac Pro 32GB running Windows 10 natively
    AMD Firepro D300 (FireGL V) cards 2 GB

Edit: Based on my testing, there is no difference in the three memory options. Same performance, same resource utilization. And in addition to the GPU going to high 90's when a second Everquest window is opened, the VRAM utilization is 100%. Currently a single login uses 47% of the VRAM, for each of the three memory options. I used to be able to run 2-3 clients reasonably well performance-wise. So yeah, likely a VRAM memory consumption issue for me.
  15. tanith Augur

For many folk on AB this evening, LS raids were unplayable. I don't usually get (any/much) lag. Tonight after the first few seconds, I couldn't cast/target etc in each and every event . The mob would be dead but still showing 33% or similar on my screen.
    Tried all the usual fixes (including those in the hotbar thread). Turned logging off. Little to no effect.
    Then we did the anniversary raid - zero lag, back to normal. So something to do with LS?
    Syndr and Kalvenie like this.
  16. MiataDriver Augur

Game is completely unplayable for me in a raid after this hot break of the game. My log file was empty at the start, I tried turning off logging completely, no difference at all. I tried hiding all models, no difference. This is new with this hot fix. Please please revert this.
    tanith, Allayna and Herf like this.
  17. MiataDriver Augur

I had zero issues playing outside of raids, but I simply cannot raid now.
    Allayna likes this.
  18. Briano Journeyman

Myself and many others in my guild on Vox are having these issues during raids now too. Heroes Forge, Unkempt Wood, Final Fugue and AK are the ones we did tonight and we had many people lagging really far behind in the raid. This has only started happening since the hotfix. is there any chance of reverting it as it seems to have made things much worse?
    Orienn and Allayna like this.
  19. Lodestar The Undefeated

The NPC spawn-in hitching is completely fixed outside of raids. Not sure about that specific element in raids however.

So roll back the raid-related issues, but not the NPC spawn-in hitching that was able to be fixed.
  20. Orienn TreeHugger

My client keeps randomly freezing, there doesn't seem to be reason. There's no recovering it either I have to end task and relog on. I've had no problems in any of the other games I play but as soon as I play EQ after this hotfix I can barely do anything.