Brand new heroic char with some questions.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by smills428, Mar 30, 2024.

1. smills428 New Member

I just created a Bard level 100 heroic. I have journeyman mercs, but even in level 80 zones me and any of my mercs take tons of damage. In feerott the dream I feel like I should be able to take three mobs very easily, but I can’t.

Is there something about heroic characters that stunt them? What I mean is, is their gear really crappy or something?

For example, I was just in Beasts domain, and it looks like every mob would two shot me if my healer merc wasn’t around. I’m at least 5 levels higher than anything I’ve tried attacking and they wallop me. What do I need to do?

Thx
  2. Khadric New Member

You've bypassed 100 level of levelling and getting to know your class. I'd suggest you aim lower and work your way up as you gain skill with the Bard.

The provided gear is better than being naked, but far from top notch. And the Merc has no experience on it so it too has a ways to go.

Heroic toons let you jump in to levelling with top end folks, they don't let you own encounters right out of the gate.

Have fun with learning your capabilities and start setting yourself some goals to gear/level/aa up.
  3. Bernel Augur

Sometime in the 80's or so the mobs start getting a lot tougher relative to you. They have proportionally more hitpoints, hit harder, and hit faster. It may have been possible to take an even con at 70, but it's going to be a lot harder at 100, maybe impossible. You will need to get more creative in how you fight, or maybe even add a boxed character to help out. One thing is to make sure you get gear for your merc. I don't think the Heroic token gives you merc gear.

One thing about the healer merc is that you may want to block their delayed-healing spells. You get hit so hard and fast that you'll be dead by the time it finally drops the heal on you.

To level, consider doing the achievement quests to get big blocks of exp. And do Overseer. Grinding mobs for exp drops off the higher you get. It takes a long time to kill anything, and you only get a small percentage of exp for all your hard work.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Wave of Quietude: When you have more than a single target, sing the AE Mez and then start fighting them one by one. If they can be mezzed and don't resist, it's how you can on 2+ at once.

A healer merc will "cure" charm, but bard charm is more mana hungry and shorter duration than enchanter charm, so not as useful.

But... bards aren't really the best at soloing now that they can't do DoTs on the run. But, the double invis + AA Selos does make them really good at collectible gathering. Collections will give you AA and XP.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

What strategy are you using to fight these mobs as a 100 bard?

The starting gear for a 100 heroic isn't amazing, but it's on par with group gear you could expect to have at level 100. Are you just singing a beneficial melody and trying to facetank/auto attack your way through? Or are you charming, kiting, using DoT's, etc?
  6. Peter_The_great Elder

Be sure to check the auto-grant of the AA's log in and out twice.
  7. smills428 New Member

Thank you guys for the responses.

Yes I have AA auto-granted.

Currently I’m facetanking in feerot the dream, with a cleric merc. I’m doing alright. I read about doing the progression tasks from HoT expansion on.
    After I get more comfortable with this method, I’ll experiment with kiting a bit more, but aggro ranges in EQ seem pretty large…

Bard isn’t totally new to me, I leveled one to 50ish on a tlp over a year ago, and I levels this guy to 36 before claiming that heroic character they just gave us.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

What is your basis for being able to tank 3 mobs or be able to molo a zone? BRD wears plate but it not a tank class. Heroics are also just at or below average gear for the level. BRDs can molo but are not one of the few classes that are exceptional at it.
  9. Pawsfur New Member

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...oper-care-and-feeding-of-heroic-bards.209160/

I started a heroic bard to pair with my Shm, SK and monk. Just returned to the game recently and have some experience with the other three classes from years ago, but had zero knowledge of how to spin up a bard. Found this post, it's old but the information was still very helpful for me. It's written for 85 heroics but it's easy enough to translate it for 100 once you get the gist of the songs.