When a zone crashes, pets should be restored to the last checkpoint rather than being deleted

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bernel, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Bernel Augur

If you have a pet when the zone crashes, there's good chance that your pet will be deleted. This even happens to pets that are suspended. From what I understand, this happens because pets are part of the zone info which is lost when the zone crashes. However, the pet info is obviously saved somewhere because you don't lose your pet when you camp. In the case of a zone crash, they should give you the pet you had at the last save point. Even if this doesn't cover all cases (e.g. you make a pet and then the zone immediately crashes), it would greatly help in 99% of the cases where someone has had a pet for a long time. Rather than losing the pet completely, they would get their pet back from some point in the past.
    Yinla and Warpeace like this.
  2. fransisco Augur

you can also log out instead of sitting for days afk in the guild lobby
    Flatchy, Fenthen and Shanarias like this.
  3. Lodestar The Undefeated

God save the lag pile. Logout.
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

That's not the only time a zone can crash on you. It's worse when you are in the middle of a fight and the zone crashes. When you come back not only are you not in a safe spot but if you're a pet class, your pet is gone, too.
    Nennius likes this.
  5. Brickhaus Augur

In a hypothetical world, this would probably be a good thing. I'm guessing it's not a "simple code fix" since they haven't done it yet. Low hanging fruit seem to be what's been worked on the most these days. But maybe I'm wrong and it has never occurred to any of the devs...

So as far as spending real development time on this, I'd rather just keep losing the pets and hope they work on something more significant. I also don't think they necessarily like players buffing pets to the max...but let it go because they are so expendable.

Just one player's opinion.
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Warpeace Augur

Have to give it a like because a zone crash will kill pets.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. kizant Augur

Yeah this is a good thing. Pets shouldn't even survive zoning imo.
  8. Mithra Augur

You should lose all buffs and all mana every time you zone.
  9. kizant Augur

Add endurance and ok that sounds fair.
  10. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Used to be a thing you would see text every 20 seconds? " Yourname Saved " .. your game progress would then be saved incase of a crash.
    I remember loosing a Screaming Mace due to the server crash soon as I did my turn in to the npc.
  11. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

Boo hiss.
    kizant likes this.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

That would really suck while doing a mission in an instance. You would need to buff after zoning in rather than before taking the task which would require the mission to take longer.
  13. Flatchy Court Jester

You should lose levels if you stay logged in (inactive) for longer than 4 hours! ;)
    kizant likes this.
  14. Warpeace Augur

But what about the automated toons?
    Flatchy likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It isn't just a zone crash that will kill pets but reloading the zone as well will do that for anyone who has been in a zone on beta when devs reload it.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Like sitting on a toilet?
    Flatchy and code-zero like this.
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Oh my poor level 1 Frogloks in the Marr-ket selling things. (I don't always use offline trade mode.)
  18. Flatchy Court Jester

POK is getting ridiculous. I go out the door of the GL and sit there for 3 or 4 mins waiting to be able to move, How can this situation be made better?
    1. Move Teek clear across the zone into the lease used area of pok.
    2. Move the zone in spot away from the lag pile, if option one is a no go.
    3. Same with the Brick of Knowledge. Tosses you right into that time warp.
    4. Afk timers in Pok.

It didnt used to be this way.