Personas Debate

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ECrack, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Kahna Augur

What gear? What AA's? How hard is it to get one buff extension item and the buff extension AAs and MGB. Why does a persona who only buffs need gear? Why do they need AA's? They can make do with group gear, or better yet, be naked except for their extension item, save the bag space. All they need to do is be PLed to max level and pick up a handful of AA's and you are good to go. The monks/rogues/wizards aren't going to need those buff extension items anyway so I am sure they will go for a pittance.

Speaking of buffs, your buffs get frozen when you swap personas, so all the monks and rogues better be swapping to their persona to preserve their fero/avatar in between fights, swap back right before the fight. So many ways this could be exploited.
  2. Vetis Augur

Bro you said everyone is swapping around off their mains to take down raid targets. LOL, like.. do you hear yourself? Your arguments rubber band and change through the discussion to fit your narrative as your narrative itself changes.

I mean, I just read your post on the other thread how you would swap over to mage to make pet weapons for yourself then swap to your beastlord. How is that different than swapping for buffs then swapping back? It's functionally the same thing.

Your arguments make no sense to me. The fact is, the AMA was clear of their stance. My stance will remain that beyond key/flags, personas in their current form serve no purpose.

I have yet to see you or anyone else give an argument for these personas not being out classed by just doing what we were already doing, boxes and alts.

"Preserve their fero/avatar between fights." In raid zones getting out of combat takes 5 minutes. Do you even know the duration of those spells? Never mind, I think I'm realizing who I am arguing with now. Cheers
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is a difference between moving multiple characters from the same account or multiple accounts to a camp versus moving a single character to that camp and switching what class it is. That is the problems the devs indicated they saw in the AMA.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is incorrect, just because you could switch in any zone when they first got launched in an incomplete state on beta doesn't mean that was the original intent behind them. It is unclear if the limitation in what zones you could switch in wasn't in place because it wasn't ready or because they wanted to make it easier to test.

This would not be the first time they have not had all limitations in place on beta such as flags needed for zones, quests, or raids.
  5. Kahna Augur

Only your combat class needs gear, the buffs classes don't. Everyone would have a combat role and a buff role. Min maxed, of course. No rubber banding, but maybe I didn't spell it out clearly enough for you.

Pet weapons are things, not buffs. And I have to go back to a city to do the swap. So it's nice, but not OP.

Logging out and back in circumvents the 5 minute raid timer and only takes 30 seconds. People do it all the time now to get out of combat regen. If your group leaders make an invite macro for their groupmates it's NBD.

I gave you my reasons for preferring personas. You are welcome to not agree, but to me they are nicer than either a box or an alt.

Oh, and I am not a bro.
  6. Basak Augur

No. They are good for if you want to main change, won't need to re-key, re-flag, re-tradeskill, re-etc. Also, they are good if you are short a certain class on a raid day and you happened to have leveled up that class as a persona and as my previous statement, not an alt so the need for the key/flag is moot at that point as opposed to an alt needing to get the key/flag or piggy.
  7. DeadRagarr Augur

Here is a thought:

Leave persona swap in cities.
    Add a group campfire to all of EQ - TLP and regular.
    No stats.
    Require at least 4 players to be there -> Group leader can drop a campfire -> 5/6th people can use a new campfire clicky sold in each town to port into groups.
    "X" Cooldown timer <2 hours?>

Fixed. Persona abuse is now not an issue. If players want to swap roles mid group they simply just Origin -> Swap in city -> Click back into the group. Also if players want a replacement they can simply just replace a toon and that player click in.

Would it be classic EQ? No. Is TLP's classic EQ? No. Why? Because a lot of classic EQ sucks, and isn't terrible to change. Making it easier to replace toons in groups does not seem like a terrible choice to me.
  8. Zeelot Elder

I made a few posts here; I don't advocate for switching anytime all the time, but I think persona should allow for a switch outside of a safe zone with a timer. I made a persona bard on my enchanter account to try out since I mainly just use enc for the buffs; with this setup, when I want to buff my group with enc buffs, I have to either gate the char to swap persona and then campfire or port back (then gate again to switch back and wait another 15min to campfire or run back), or gate my whole group for buffs then campfire them all back. This is way more inconvenient than just having an alt and doing a quick camp for buffs then camp back to bard. Even if it was a 1 hour lockout on switching outside of a safe zone, I think it would be better than the current situation which discourages use of persona.
    ECrack likes this.
  9. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Seems like a lot of you miss the point.

Persona's weren't created to be your personal buffer.

If you don't find the value in them don't use them.

Persona uses: move continents (early era TLP) / main change / class flexibility / retain flags/achievements/keys / usable items for multiple characters -

It might not fit what you want it to be but that's what it is. No one forced you to buy the expansion.

Seems pretty clear if you want a buff bot you have 3 choices: another account, an alt, or Rallos forbid, make a friend who has the buffer you are missing.
  10. fransisco Augur

That is switching at any time, but with extra words. Any timer will be 30-120 seconds. Or whatever. Just long enough to not be in combat, so you still get to be a druid/rogue/bard/enchanter all at the same time.
  11. coltongrundy Augur

it really would make personas too OP if everyone could just swap to rogue to SOS somewhere and then swap back to the class they want to play. At that point you're really just giving every class FD, every class DA, every class SOS, every class 96% rez, every class self group and single target ports to every druid and wizard location, every pet class can summon their own pet gear, every class gets selos, it would be so absurd if you could swap personas on the fly anywhere any time and keep buffs