Cleric/Magi Duo for new TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Menlo135, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Menlo135 Journeyman

As the title suggests I am thinking of boxing the above duo, I was thinking of Cler/Ench but as I need to afk a bit I am put off by it.

Reckon this duo is decent for leveling through classic and beyond?

Cheers
  2. FadedshadeTLP Lorekeeper

My go to is Mage/shaman personally, but Mage/Cleric should work fine too

The main reason i dont wanna do a cleric is that i dont wanna risk ever EVER being stuck in a CH Rotation again for the rest of my life.
  3. Menlo135 Journeyman

Haha though what about all those single target buffs at raid time? :)
  4. FadedshadeTLP Lorekeeper

Anything is better than mindless CH'ing :D
  5. Menlo135 Journeyman

Haha fair enough :)
  6. fransisco Augur

canni dancing vs CHing

choices choices
  7. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Just main the mage and enjoy spamming pet back instead of CH!
  8. Juskov Lorekeeper

Really any kind of healer really makes a mage better. Druid is also good because of those Fire debuffs. Ro really makes mage dps much better with the reduction in resisted spells. Often raid Druid mains are too lazy to cast it. For the daily group game those ports are nice. Druid is a bit of a better fit in a caster raid group too.
  9. Basak Augur

What else are druids doing if not casting Ro? =P
    fransisco likes this.
  10. Muramx Augur

Go with a shaman. Most of a mages DPS comes from their pets especially early game. Shaman buffs and haste will help more the a druid casting Ro. Plus they have the malo line and damage mitigation with slow. You will be able to do more.
  11. 25thAnniBaby Lorekeeper

Mage / Druid !

Ports are essential early game unless you feel like running / asking for ports all the time.
    Druid also have the capability to charm mobs which means you can just box the mage and main the druid if you want to enjoy the charming life!

Come Kunark you have a bunch of charm opportunities in Chardok!
  12. Juskov Lorekeeper

Shaman isn't bad either, not for the haste and Malo though. Pet burnout and Mage Mala/sini basically takes care of that. The slow is nice in the group game, no doubt, especially on group named. HoT is always good to have. Later on, werewolf pact will hit the swarm pets which is super nice if you get to that point of TLP. I've done both, I was just more thinking of a good partner for both group and raid. You might be annoyed in early TLP playing shaman as a partner on raid since you'll be constantly asked for buffs. If it's just a group box, sure Shaman is great... it's great with just about any class hehe.
  13. Woozy New Member

I actually did this exact duo on Oakwynd. It was strong but a bit slow since the cleric can't lend much dps outside of undead zones (which at last there are several in the obvious leveling paths). I started late in Velious so once I got to Velk's the Cleric wasn't really lending much other than being a puller. I added a 3rd box BL in and it seemed like a pretty strong trio, but I got bored as I found I really just prefer melee classes and decided to wait til 25th anniversary server to jump back in fully. It really did give me an appreciation for just how strong of healers clerics are though as it was my first time playing one.
  14. natedogg Journeyman

Burnout is the best haste in the game. While the other buffs will land on a pet with Burnout, it won't stack with anything you get from a Chanter or Shaman (i.e. the haste won't stack). (Assuming everyone is the same level).

Thus, casting Chanter/Sham haste on a pet with burnout is really just a waste of mana. Things like HP buffs, and Armor will help. However, your mage pet's out of combat HP regen is simply insane, which mitigates much of the benefit of HP and AC buffs. Its really in-combat heals that make a difference. A sham's heals can account for that, but really their slow when north of lev 30 is more than sufficient for single pulls.

Just a thought here...One thing to consider might be a Necro with a shaman box. The necro would let you charm easily. Even if you have to afk. Just camp the shammy and FD the necro.
  15. Muramx Augur

Shaman cast more then haste... The HP buffs alone make up for it. But as the game progresses early on you get the avatar line, the spirit line that adds a melee proc, things like billy that add atk, ects. They also have the variability too mitigate damage through slow, crowd control with root, and add DPS without pulling agro. A shaman in the long run paired with a mage is is probably the best option outside of a bard.
  16. Celatusp99 Augur

I would not do mage their pets are too squishy until much later. I would do cleric/shaman and a monk.
  17. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

I would say shaman, with shaman slow, mage pet can tank (not to mention shaman can too), all groupable nameds easily.

Also, I find Canni dance really not worth it for the trouble. But I don't min max so there is that. I just make macro for 3 or 4 cannis and then sit, once I get canni 3. Canni before that is just meh, and can be used to annoy people!

As a solo Shaman on Mischief I could solo cubby in WoS in era easily. Granted I had max AAs and mostly PoP raid gear from baz.

Anyway, I think Shaman will do well for mage for many expacs.
  18. fransisco Augur

casting sow on my pet until I get velocity!
  19. Basak Augur

That too
    fransisco likes this.
  20. Celatusp99 Augur

shaman and mage both get better in the 70 range I would not play shaman pre omens ever again though outside of slowing raid mobs they really don't offer much and if you are playing properly require more attention than any other box. Pairing one with a mage whos pet is a very weak tank until you start getting into em 8+ is a big mistake imo.