Re-entering a group mission

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xotor, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Xotor New Member

Asking for a friend.... Is it possible to re-enter a group mission after a wipe, with it in the same state you left it? Suppose a friend started Seeking the Sorcerer, knocked off the first 2 mini bosses, and then through no error of his own (probably sunspots or squirrels gnawing on wires) the whole group wipes. If the group gets back together quickly, could they say "/ready" to Horasug, and then go back into the instance, with only the last mini boss, Bled Enraged, left to battle? So far, no matter what my friend tries, the mission restarts at the beginning. While I can see the fairness in this, my friend is rather shady and is always looking for the easy way out.
  2. Conq Augur

A great many instanced missions will reset after a wipe. It's been too long since I've done these to remember if this particular instance resets after a wipe or not. Some missions reset after so much time has passed with no one alive in zone, but some few will allow you to continue progressing.
    Conq
  3. Alnitak Augur

Many instanced missions will reset once scripted monsters lose aggro (group wipe etc.). Sometimes instantly, sometimes after a very short time (measured in seconds). Seeking the Sorcerer is of that kind.
    Some other missions do not have such short timers and will usually "break" if zone is "unattended" (i.e. no player inside) for a period of time and the zone "collapses". In such case the mission needs restart.
    Some missions have a different script, such as hostile mobs attack friendly targets and the goal is to protect them. Group wipe usually does not reset the task, unless the hostile mobs succeed on their own while players are reentering the mission. Examples are Before the Siege in EoK and Close the Gate in ToL.
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

Theres the mission idle mechanic like above which resets the script.

Theres also the instance idle mechanic which will shut down an instanced zone if there are no players in it for 15 minutes. The instance has shut down if you get the "not ready to enter" message when you try to zone in again, but it will start a new instance without having to drop the task.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Ha's don't usually reset, normal missions usually do.
  6. Gialana Augur

It depends on the mission. Some mission require near-constant aggro. Within that set, that aggro is allowed to be helper npcs until some or all of those npcs die. Some missions won't reset if you wipe at one stage but will if you wipe at another. Some missions have built in spots where you can rest, so wiping there might not be a problem.

As for Seeking the Sorcerer, once the mission script starts, you need to finish it. If you wipe, I don't think there's any possible way to get back in the instance before it resets, even if you bind at the zone-in npc.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

There is also a 30 min time limit before the instance collapses. So don't take your time getting back there.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

I spent hours with a non-ideal group during ToV in the HA mission in great divide. It didn't reset, we spent stupid amounts of time on it but were stubborn and ended up winning.

Most missions are not like that though, you can't just throw time and xp at them until you win.
  9. Xotor New Member

Thank you all. I'll, uh, my friend will just keep trying till he gets lucky and wins.
  10. Shea Lorekeeper

When I first started messing with this mission, a buddy of mine and I were giving it a a go. We would pull the first mob to zone in and get it mostly dead and then it would run off. This caused us all sorts of issues but we did eventually get lucky and beat it. That said, we later found out you could root that first boss. Spamming root on it so it couldn't run made the mission quite a bit easier after that. Not sure if that helps you at all or not but thought I'd mention it.
  11. Gialana Augur

If you're boxing, it is definitely a challenge. While the first boss is up, I believe the adds are mezzable. Sometime after the first boss dies, the adds are no longer mezzable. You'll want to make sure someone picks up the ground spawn, click it to get the movable target ring, and click it off to the side to make the adds run to that spot. If you're not killing quickly enough, another groundspawn will spawn that you'll have to use. Otherwise the adds will come back and pound on you.