Sneak patch 2024-03-19

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iven, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Iven the Lunatic

Any infos ? LaunchPad opened automatically today, but DownloadInfo.txt does not reveal any changes. Is there another download log file ?
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

What do you mean "opened automatically"? I've never seen the launcher open by itself.
    mercury890 likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Well, we did have this last night - perhaps they are infiltrating EQ? Mistaking it for ET?

[IMG]
    Nennius likes this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

The LaunchPad does get opened automatically after a login when there was an update/patch.
    Angahran likes this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Marton and Rexa like this.
  6. Scila Augur

Well ... whatever happened ... it borked mine ...................not a happy camper right now is an understatement.
    mercury890 likes this.
  7. Febb Augur

There wasn't a patch. I've been logged in several days so I logged out, ran the patcher and nothing.

**** Starting at Wed Mar 20 11:23:05 2024 with plug-in 1.0.3.198 ****
    3074-00:00:00:Checking game installation...
    3074-00:00:03:All files are up to date

I sorted my eq directory by modified date and nothing new other than launchpad files being modified which is normal when you run it.
  8. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

There was a test server update only on 3/19 - which is shown under the Test section notes.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Alright, pretty strange, maybe just a bug or other issues.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

Are you talking about launching EQ by using a shortcut to bypass the launcher?
  11. fransisco Augur

that sneaky test patch which was publically announced?
  12. Iven the Lunatic

That is how I do usually enter the game.

That is not the one that I do mean. It should not had an effect on live servers, but maybe it did.
  13. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

Just curious- do people who "bypass the launcher" find it easier to log in by manually typing their account name and password? You bypassed the feature that does it for you automatically and that's somehow better? Well, that doesn't fly if you're 4 boxing. And have long passwords.
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

People wouldn't do it if it weren't somewhat faster, if you are logging in a bunch of accounts probably not.

There's also been times where the launcher isn't connecting correctly but bypassing it allows you to login to the game. Doesn't happen much anymore but probably where a number started doing it.
  15. Fenthen aka Rath

It's easier to use the patchme command to launch the game than to load the patcher, wait for it to check files, load, select the account, re-load, then enter EverQuest... one account, okay now second account, open the patcher, wait for it to check files... etc etc.
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

It used to take a while for the launcher to load...sometimes as long as a minute. But ever since they did that update to it a few months ago (when first they broke it to not work with Windows 7 for like half a day), it loads up in about 4 or 5 seconds now, and I run 3 accounts. I honestly don't see how running the patchme workaround is that much faster now.
  17. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

Oh, I see. So the problem is a slow PC and doing it wrong. I open the launcher, it immediately opens and scans files in under 1 second (nvme m2 drive) As that is happening I mousewheel-click the launcher tab in the taskbar which opens another launcher, then 2 more mousewheel clicks. Then I pick my 4 accounts on the dropdown tabs (which is absolutely undeniably faster than typing in account names and passwords) and click Play on all 4 launchers.
    Boom boom boom boom they all open EQ. I'm on the server select screen. I click tab 1 and hit enter, tab 2 and hit enter, and so forth. Faster than -patchme with manual typing.

If your issue is playing fullscreen, I have nothing to say to you, get over your OCD and play windowed like normal people in 2024.
  18. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

This is a hardware issue. I upgraded to a very powerful PC and everything loads like lightning.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

Bypassing the launcher can have many benefits, and some of them got already mentioned. Another one is using custom files, which do get overwritten by the LaunchPad. Security is another reason and I am wondering why the LaunchPad does offer an option to save the login names, which are 50% of the login process data. Even the passwords do get saved and stored locally, where they can be found and revealed. Just by other people who have physical access to the hardware, or by hackers.
    Fenthen likes this.