Warrior vs SK for a 3box

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Abyssmul, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Muramx Augur

SK, sham, then whatever for DPS. I use to run 3-4 and my SK was the raid geared powerhouse of the group. I would pull then set it and forget it. Innate lifetaps later on help a lot with healing on a shaman, I never had agro issue. It's a slower kill team but it's steady with lower risk.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  2. Vlahkmaak Augur

I typically run WAR, SHA, BRD and my only issue early on is lack of a solid snare. The SK has a lot more utility and I like my SK but I am partial to the WAR. On the last TLP I ran a WAR, SHA, NEC and that was actually really fun too because I had early snare and pet to chase down low health mobs while the war started on the next and my nec and pet had shammy buffs and alchy pots which are beast. I think i will do that trio again for this year if I play. Would really like the third box to be a BST from the start though HINT HINT HINT Darkpaw.
  3. Pagan New Member

My exp: long time SK player, recently boxed SK/ENC/CLR from classic to OOW, BiS or close to it on SK for the whole ride. Raid leader so I kept my warrior knowledge up to date as well.

If you want to be the big-d raid tank, warrior is the only option from Kunark to way later. For boxing trophy kills, warrior also has the edge due to defensives but SK is no slouch here. I downed Drusella in era but it was tough, definitely required charm. Sebilite protector was an easy one that I'd 2-box farm with just enc/sk.

If you like named-sniping or end up competing for contested camps/mobs, SK is superior with the ability to put out massive burst damage and flop when needed (this assumes no FTE rules). SK has way better utility with invis, FD, snare, levitate - but many effects are also just a potion away for warriors.

If you want to be a more relaxed boxer, war will probably give you the best results in terms of tanking and DPS, and giving you space to manage your other boxes. Many SKs simply do not cast spells and play like worse warriors, and they don't seem to get that the class rewards an aggressive play style. Spell power = damage + threat + self-healing = better tanking and DPS. You have to do more than spam darkness to get the most out of the class.

Overall both are great tho and if raid geared, either will trivialize group content in any era. Both are equally gear dependent but warriors tend to be more competitive and their BiS weps can be rare af, my guild only saw one RZ sword drop in 3 months of raiding plane of time. But its random, other guilds had them rotting.
    fransisco, Appren and minimind like this.
  4. Larsen Augur

I can't think of anything you can do with a 3-box that an SK can't tank, so unless you care a great deal about your main having an important role on raids, the SK will probably serve you better. Warrior just isn't a particularly great class in groups. There also tends to be far more competition for warrior loot in raids, so it'll take less DKP to gear up an SK.

The "problem" with SK is that it's such a marginalized class on raids that it can be unsatisfying if you care a lot about feeling like a key member of the raid force. In the earlier eras of EQ, raids just don't have a lot of off-tanking or kiting, which would otherwise be an SK's primary job; and since monk is grotesquely overpowered on TLPs, there are so many of them, which means an SK probably never needs to do any pulling. You'll end up spending most of your raiding career just being a sub-par DPS class.

If your focus is on grouping, SK is a much more well-rounded class than warrior. Given the low number of knights, you're also pretty much guaranteed to have a top-tier weapon in every expansion if you raid regularly, and the SK epic is so unimportant that you don't need to worry about getting it, which means you can focus on getting more important epics like cleric or bard if these are among your boxes.
  5. Phased Sullon Zek Lorekeeper

Warriors take much less damage than sk's in groups because everyone else in the group will be tanking the majority of the time.
    SoandsoForumUser and Krand like this.
  6. Dominate Augur

I have 3 boxed Drusella with an SK tank so many times.

Warriors are better Kunark + for most things. Small man raiding is doable with an SK, but defensive really helps when you start talking about Zlandicar type mobs, and BoT minis.
  7. Krand New Member

For xp = SK, for hard names = warrior.
    If you cant box a SK in a trio and hold massive aggro, it is a you issue.
    This assumes a raid geared SK, makes a massive difference.
    Raids not too much fun except when all the warriors are dead, at lower levels monks and bards pull.
    Your guild would prefer a warrior.
  8. Arclyte Augur

[IMG]