Folks that want a 'non-True Box' server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ddezul, Mar 18, 2024.

1. itiswhatitis Elder

It is so dumb we have to explain this every year.... the vast majority of all/most boxers regardless if it is a duo or 6+ are just trying to have a good time and experience the game in the good ol expansions. Boxing servers don't have bot Krono farmers. The reason you have Kronos farmers on truebox server is because of truebox. If the die hard trueboxers stopped buying Kronos then trading it for pl's on lvls and AA they wouldn't be there. When you have non truebox servers people don't need to buy pl's, they just box toons to help them lvl. When people box there own toons it becomes unprofitable for the Kronos farmers to play on those servers.

Since they have not had any non truebox servers in like 3+ years I have tried truebox servers and I don't like having to go log for hours to only get in a group that breaks up in 30min or having to settle in a less xp zone due to it being the only thing available. I also refuse to get a bunch or garage computers just to run multiplicity on them so I can say I am a trueboxer while using 3rd party software then Turn around and blame boxers for there 3rd party software..

The good thing about the boxing community is they only want 1 server every 5 years. Truebox needs one every year. Simple fix. 1 boxing and 1 truebox. Then you won't hear from the boxers for a few years.
    NuffanTuit likes this.
  2. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

I play one char, I like grouping a lot - I rarely play alts. I tried to 2 box on phinegel (Nec man, shaman box - truebox), didn't like it.

And yes we are in a minority.

3. Elabone Augur

I 6 box because the majority of you players are horrible and go afk constantly. Plus it allows me to log on and do what I want/need without delay.
  4. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

The AFK trend has become noticeable in recent TLPs. That and people /quit when leaving groups so they don't need to even try to find replacements. Do they really think this is 1999 when we all believe they lost internet/power etc and so could not log back in at all?

I have seen a handful log back in within minutes - rest all just...well abandoned group heh.

Also, DPS not wanting to be Main Assist (Esp rangers, for some reason most seem to play from work heh, especially ranger alts).

While all this could be due to boredom in grouping, it is still a basic decency to contribute ( or go solo) to the group if you joined one.

I prefer grouping with 2 to 4 boxers, or a 6 boxer who drops a box for me, as they are more on the ball most of the time.

5. Cassiera MOAR DoTs

I created a truebox setup for a recent TLP when I found my warrior limited by a lack of clerics, and now use it on live as well. (only 4 computers, not 6) Not everyone has the space and resources to do that, and IMO they shouldn't have to in order to have a bard box or shaman box or whatever.

The vast majority of the time I play one toon with other humans (on live or a TLP), but it's really nice to be able to fire up the other computers if a bard or healer isn't available. Or if I want a little extra DPS from my mage or wizard. Boxing is almost like a different game - not better, or mutually exclusive, just different. And the vast majority of people boxing aren't krono farmers.

For example, I just finished helping a friend of mine through some group progression with my shaman and bard. Being able to bring those utility characters made life much easier for our little group of three humans.

But I suspect you know all that, and are just trying to get a rise out of people. For people like me, I'll bring the characters I want/need whether it's truebox or not. It seems fair that people without an absurd-looking, computer-cluttered desk can do the same.
    Appren, Yinla and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  6. Rotokan New Member

I have a very high playtime and i like to be able to get started on whatever i plan on farming. I do it out of necessity, in actuality i hate boxing myself but i do it to progress at the pace i want to progress at. When people zone in or guildies pop on i am more than happy to go down to my 1 main.
    Even back when people would complain about big box crews coming from a Lockjaw perspective, i never had one negative interaction with those big boxers. Like what camp / raid were you trying to do that boxers locked down and you couldn't just pick to a new zone? Especially now with AoC i don't get why anyone cares.
  7. Demetri Augur

You do realize that the investment into a True Box capable second PC is around $100 these days (or cheaper with some luck on CL/Ebay/etc), right?

There is no real financial barrier to entry for most people (I'd argue all, but I'm sure there's a few literal paupers playing EQ that really shouldn't be playing it because they're THAT financially unstable).

So the "only has" argument is more of a "I don't want/don't have space for" issue more than not having for most cases.
  8. Demetri Augur

With mini-PCs these days, really don't even need clutter - or as I do with existing full size towers, cube shelving that the fit snuggly into perfectly. (and small folding "couch" tables for the box peripherals)

L style desk helps as well.

But easy enough to manage with proper planning - I'd never just throw a Truebox setup for more than 2 machines together without some thinking ahead to how to organize. (especially cable/power management!)
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Boxers want a new TLP to start afresh the same as everyone else. Personaly truebox or not I will be playing the same. Although my preference would be 3 box servers, I don't know how anyone can deal with 6+ :confused:

When I log in my preferences are
    1. Group with friends
    2. Group with guildmates
    3. I don't want to group with idiots, if I find myself in an aweful group I leave
    4. If I find myself without a group I still want to be productive. To be productive I either need to solo or box another 1 or 2 chars.

Non truebox isn't about playing 6 chars or more, it is about allowing everyone the choice to be productive when there is no groups to be had.

I have 2 laptops and a PC, I can play 3 whenever I wish. But I think everyone should have the same choice I do, which the removal of Truebox would give them.
  10. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Ripley's Believe It or Not candidate right here.

Did it ever occur to you that some people:
    1. Enjoy making a new character and playing with guild mates / friends
    2. Aren't krono farming but if they get some cool
    3. They aren't looking to avoid people (many boxers drop boxes for real players they know)
    4. They enjoy playing new box combos to see how far they can push their skills
    5. They enjoy doing some obscure stuff that is painfully hard to get groups to do
    6. They like the excitement of a new start in this game and not playing catch up.
    7. They like the Game.
    Yinla and NuffanTuit like this.
  11. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Completely agree...

Too many (not saying all by any standard) people seem to want to think True Box means no boxers...or that it some how hinders boxers to the point they will not bother..it does not. It never has...

True Box server are magnets for BOT crews. because the overwhelming True Box crowd will buy krono to exchange for plat, they will buy BIS items they will pay for PL levels and AA.

Will removing True Box stop the BOT Crew from joining the server....absolutely not...

Does True box stop the casual boxers...absolutely not...
  12. jeskola pheerie

get real dude. you know why people like new servers. boxers arent the devil. you cannot recreate the pickup group era of your youth. all the restrictions in the world won't transport us back in time.
  13. Ddezul Augur

why do people like new servers? Krono?

And i dont want to transport us back to Magefire. That was a horrible server and the reason was boxers.
  14. Ddezul Augur

true box has blocked anymore Ragefires and nobody can deny that.
  15. fransisco Augur

can we vote to close this thread?
  16. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

That is simply UNTRUE

6 boxers play on Oakwynd constantly...it is a true box server.

Multi 6 boxers play on Oakwynd constantly...it is a true box server.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. fireworks Journeyman

Just relax it to 3 box. I don't understand why people need to shell out 600$+ for a 25 year old game, just so they can make their own optimal trio and have reduced electricity costs. There are people right now 24 boxing in velks pulling the entire zone. Truebox is a failure and doesn't stop anything other than poor people from enjoying the game.
  18. dwiguslowater Journeyman

The boxing crowd who played Rizlona haven't gotten an opportunity to play on a server with a Mischief style ruleset. They also haven't got a fresh from the beginning boxing server in four years. If they release a Mischief style server with boxing alongside a Mischief style true box server I think it'll be extremely popular. In fact I think a boxing Mischief style server is the only server that could do well paired with a new Mischief style truebox server. The Mischief ruleset is so popular and coveted that any Phinney clone or other gimmick released with it would likely be a dud. Why not just give people both boxing and truebox options?
  19. FadedshadeTLP Lorekeeper

Relaxed Truebox from the get-go is the only solution, if you can even call it that - Its never been done, so why are people affraid of that? I understand why some people advocate strongly for strict truebox - its because they are the people cheating to have less competition to farm krono. You see them all the time and their arguments are always terrible. Removing Truebox entirely creates even more armies, then the people who speculate in making their own armies can do so with ease and we dont want that either

In the words of Eleanor Shellstrop: We deserve a medium place
  20. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

I never said it was a financial consideration. I live in a travel trailer, and I travel. I'm limited in how much space I have to just set up a laptop. In a few years, disability will catch up to me, and I will be forced to put down permanent roots. At that time, having multiple computers won't be an issue.