How about a server where everyone starts with their epic 1.0?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rajaah, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Rajaah Elder

The speculation on a Kunark launch server got me thinking of how cool it'd be to have a server where everyone has their 1.0 right off the bat. Just drop the required levels, make it recommended instead so they evolve as you level, set all procs and clicks to level 40 or 45, whichever makes more sense.

Would be a pretty fun idea I think for a launch. Any reasons why this wouldn't be feasible?
    Risiko likes this.
  2. Arclyte Augur

why not just let everyone stick a game genie into their floppy drive and do whatever they want?

sounds super fun and totally not a bad idea
    Sanduleak likes this.
  3. Soriano Augur

Lets create a server where we do not play the game we just get what we want for ZERO effort...

Why not a vendor in every starting city with uber armor for each slot that cost 5cp...
  4. Grimblekin Journeyman

5cp requires that I go kill some rats and sell their ears. Too much work. I veto this idea.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  5. Soriano Augur

LOL
  6. Dre. Altoholic

Epic pet on a lvl 1 mage would be dope.
    minimind and DeadRagarr like this.
  7. MileyVyrus Elder

There actually was an <name redacted type of server> called EZ that stood for 'extended zones' where it did give u the epic at level one and suckered you into thinking the server was easy... It wasn't, there was like 10 full tiers of stuff to get through and a handful of massively insane side grinds. Was a ton of fun. Obviously TLP isnt built like that, but man this thread brought back memories of pre-Fippy fun.
    Appren likes this.
  8. Demetri Augur

I could see this as a "trivial quest added to skip 1.0s at L60" (Like say "pay 10kpp" to an NPC w/ a L60 req) thing to remove all the drama with people competing over them...

But starting out day 1 with them? Nah, pass - ruins too much itemization and work forward to over the early eras. It would remove the issues of their difficulties being scattershot and in the case of Zerk/BST if they were introduced earlier than original timelines - would allow them to still have a means to acquire theirs even if they couldn't access the quest parts.
  9. xxar Augur

This is just a broken idea .......
  10. Rajaah Elder

That's a great idea, make 1.0's purchasable at level 60 to circumvent all the drama, especially if Zerk/BST are available from the start (since a lot of their 1.0 quest drops are in zones that wouldn't be available yet). It might be worth trying on an experimental server and would solve that balancing issue for those two classes.

Either way starting with epics was just a fun idea for an experiment, a server where classes could kind of "take shape" right from the get-go. Has nothing to do with Game Genie-ing or "avoiding the work". At this point I think 1.0's have pretty much been done to death, and I've done all of them at least once each myself. Probably the number one source of drama on new servers. Starting with them at low stats (evolving as you level and gaining their click and passive effects in the 40's) probably wouldn't even imbalance the low-level game. Bard epic would be the only one that would really give a massive benefit at level 1, given its innate function as all of the instruments at once.
  11. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Some of the suggestions (I use this term loosely of course) on this forum make me wonder if people actually want to even "play" everquest, or log in - admire all the epics / whatever we want to be there by /claim or some such freebie equivalent , and then log off happy.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  12. Bartholomo Journeyman

As lazy as I am, and as much as I think I would want something cool like this, the effect of this handout would be short lived, as a portion of the fun of EQ is how you feel when you finally down a raid boss or finish are very hard quest/tradeskill. A better option would be fixing the bottlenecks. They have done a decent job but there are still a few that could be fixed. Hopefully with free trade it becomes even easier, I know it was on mischief.
  13. Risiko Augur

Level 1 mage wouldn't be high enough level to cast the spell to create the mage epic in order to click it to get the pet.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Intercept Augur

Half of them are garbage and not even BiS
    Kaenneth and Shalom like this.
  15. AnonFrog01 Journeyman

Then it would be WoW after Activision got it's hands on it. No one wants that.
  16. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

"If everyone is special, no one is."
  17. Critt Augur

Could be fun, if the epic was a weakened version and there was a quest line to grow it’s power over time
  18. FadedshadeTLP Lorekeeper

It would mean Gamebreak would have to do actual work to make that happens, so sadly, thats out the window - EQ has been a "Do no work, still make money" type of deal for years and years, sadly :/
  19. Doezit Lorekeeper

Just no.
  20. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

Epics are a huge part of the content of Kunark why would you want less content?