Someone explain to me why FTE is so hated, I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Mar 7, 2024.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I only said 'the whiners' I didn't imply anyone in this thread, obviously the whining (that seems to have spurred on FTE) took place in the past.

I do think a certain someone's admitted time windows of experience with EQ don't coincide with even a plurality of players.

Your experience and low skill issues don't really match up with a lot of legit non-whiner players.

But squeaky wheel that saves them money gets the grease. Scored one there.
  2. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

You did QUOTE me to make your comment so you certainly IMPLIED...

Low skill....LMAO....whatever makes you feel better...

I played damn near DAILY for 7 solid years. I quit the leading edge raiding at The Buried Sea, Late summer 2007. Just got tired of it...within that I played EQII WoW and Vanguard. EQII and Wow were just not near the game...Vanguard was great but it required such a strong machine at the time it limited the player base.I played casually on a few different servers up to Fippy. By that point the toxic crowd was enough to make me log out and not return for several years....kept two accounts active a for a few years then around 2015 shut it all down until 2023. I was the second player on Innoruuk to get the Signet of Arcane third to do Phylactery. Never know if not for my LOW skill....lol I might have been first..

But what is common across all my years is when some one has to turn to personal insults to try and get over on the forums they are usually not worth my time....and you truly are not....LMAO
  3. Artanthos Journeyman

The people complaining are the vocal minority.
    Most are happy with FTE. It makes it more difficult, but not impossible, to train other people and kill steal.

Most of the people complaining are the people abusing the actions FTE is meant to prevent.
  4. Artanthos Journeyman

If you already respect other's camps and are not KSing, FTE has not affect on your game play.
  5. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

There are some that are bad actors and FTE prevents them...

There are also some who simply disagree with the concept of kill stealing, they just do not see it that way. The feel the way to determine disputed mobs is a DPS race. some will respect camps that they deem are camps...Open world zones like Rathe is a free for all so they can KS....lol

While some are not bad actors as if they came to efreeti camp (even though technically there are no camps) there are some spawns that players tend to agree are respected camps if someone is there and actively killing the PH. Most would not just come in a DPS race you at a camp you were holding, some would, but not all and there is a line to be drawn there....lol

it is more about the areas they want designated as free for all which allows max level characters to have a tremendous advantage over other players who a actually are more appropriate level for the zone designated as free for all. FTE levels the field in this scenario which is the intent of the concept of first to engage. At same time does not prevent a max level character from racing to the mob. The level 50 bard does suck....lmao

Years ago within the first year of EQ the conversations were well we were here first...why had you not engaged, we were not ready...oh well they were...well they engaged sooner than they were ready to keep it from us...Did they wipe? NO then they were ready enough...well they just kited the mob...are you unable to kite?

First to Engage was born as the concept very EARLY in EQ.

Players wanted to DPS race this was a CS nightmare and why the PnP for FTE was created.
  6. Crabman Augur

I am going to try and play devils advocate to some of your points, as I think some things others are saying are valid and not specifically "I want to dps race always". Not really here to argue as I dont care all that much. I have previously stated, the only thing I dont like about fte is the mobs spawning as immune for a certain amount of time. It feels bad, I dont like it at all. As for the intended purpose of FTE, I never had a problem before, and didnt have a problem during oakwynd, so it feels largely irrelevant to my play.

Here you say most would not come dps race you but there are some. And I agree completely. I don’t think many people on regular servers came and sat on top of you to dps race. Epic/key mobs are the one place I can think of it happening. BUT I would say that FTE makes it easier for a rando/puller to come steal a mob or a named from a widely respected camp. All you gotta do is tag it first while the other group is still killing mobs, then its yours and the group in the “camp” cant do anything the try to get it back. Where as on a normal server, the group can attempt to keep that mob in their camp for the kill. So, not a dps race, but widely agreed upon as a kill steal, made easier by fte.

You talk about a tremendous advantage for some classes/higher level characters. FTE does not at all level the playing field it just changes who has the advantage. That advantage is now for the bards for movement speed or wizards with flux staff. So sure, the lvl 50 solo/duo mage isn’t winning as many hill giants but other monopolies can and did seem to happen.

Here, I don’t really know but are you trying to say that fte is the same as pnp? Im not really sure. And.... was it the dps racers who would submit tickets?? :)

I WILL say that I saw and heard of many people on other servers sitting in pull paths and then reporting/claiming they were trained if mobs turned on them in the process of being pulled. That was made entirely impossible on oakwynd and was definitely one positive of fte.
  7. code-zero Augur

I have to say that I don't play Oakwynd. I tried it out so see what FTE was like and though it does address some real and imagined TLP problems it does it by overriding the normal aggro mechanics. I typically play live and will probably continue to do so in the future so I never see DPS races and seldom see a train.

FTE is a workaround that I think Darkpaw is satisfied with and will continue to use on future TLP's
  8. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

That comment is about EARLY in the life of EQ...

And there were on Innoruuk guilds would make up there own minds on how to go about contesting a target. And there was no problem with two guilds that agree to DPS race for a target. The problem was not all guilds could agree to the same rules...

Verant Interactive at the time made the PnP policy which literally made it First to Engage.

This was if guilds and groups could not agree on to how to determine rights to a target.

Innoruuk had a calendar for several years that signed up for certain zones...There was a council of guilds within the players from many of the top guilds Silent Resurgence Ashen Vendetta and others.

The general rule was for players to agree, when players did not agree it was PnP that ruled....and PnP said first to engage gets the mob and players that engage a mob already engaged are kill stealing if they take the target.

To the was it the DPS racers that submit tickets....When there was no agreement in place....The losing guild petitioned....lol

Bottom line when there was a petition it would boil down to first to engage...if a GM or Guide had to mediate that was the rules the mediated with.

When there was an agreement between guilds no one petition...Problem was that was not often and the really big guild recognized one another and the mid tier guilds were not considered a threat.....lol

So 80% of the tickets came from mid tiered guilds.....lmao

I will say that many times they had a valid complaint....not all, but more than once....lol
  9. Azzlann Elder

Youre probably right that they are satisfied with it as it is but that's because they don't really listen. There are some things that they could refine or change to make it please a wider player base.
    Tyranthraxus likes this.