Someone explain to me why FTE is so hated, I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Mar 7, 2024.

1. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

BUT NO ONE IN THIS THREAD openly admitted they wanted to kill steal...

What exactly do you think FIGHT FOR IT means????

FTR This proves I did not LIE.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Page 1

I said "these forum regulars" because, with me, their statements are far more beyond reproach than all the tears from this thread title to a number of consistent whiners throughout 16 pages.
  3. Fizon Augur

How do you read that sentence and get "I want to take someone else's mob" from it??
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  4. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

FTE made it so they could not fight for a mob.

A group before could at least fight for it.

You really have trouble understanding what FIGHT for the mob means?

it is obviously already engaged.

What they literally are saying is before FTE if someone engaged a mob we wanted we could take it back. (or at least try to) and that is kill stealing
  5. Fizon Augur

As it stands right now. You could be engaged with a group of mobs in say.. assassin/sup in lguk lvling enjoying urself and assassin spawns. The monk on bedroom already yoinkin some of ur mobs sees this and runs in and taps his instant 1 DMG throw rock. It's his now. There is not a damn thing you can do about it. It's his mob. This is what OP was referring to.
  6. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

IF not about stealing a mob via DPS race...or training a group to contest a camp...what is the big problem with FTE...the couple of seconds a mob takes at spawn to completely render is a very weak argument.

The other broad claim is this was never part of EQ....and for over two decades a high level mob could take a mob away from a level appropriate character....MAGE bot crews could dominate camps..

Bad actors and there were tons of them could train you because they found it fun to do.

people took advantage of wild wild west rules...it was a CS nightmare. and it really gets old when you work for a living and do not spend every waking moment on EQ and someone that is level 50 in the first week then will control the server to force people to buy from them. You can act like that is not wide spread it has been on every server I have played on prior to Oakwynd.
  7. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Yes because the monk engaged first...

You want to EXCUSE kill stealing...GOT IT...

I can not tell you how many times a high level character showed up in Tenebrous Mountains as I have sat there near an hour waiting on the grimling runner to spawn so I can get me a rallic pack. only to have a high level mage or wizard or SK use HT to one shot and take it when I had clearly engaged first....

When you claim you were there first and engaged first they throw back there are no camps in EQ.

But in this scenario suddenly the assassin is a valid camp that you can claim.

And because you were at the camp the monk took YOUR mob.

funny how people like to play both sides of the aisle.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

"Bad actors and there were tons of them" is what we call an unsubstantiated claim. Or COOL STORY BRO.

When you see a forum regular post '<paraphrase>heres how I like to play, not trying to kill steal anyone.</>' You can trust that is a substantiated recounting of a GENUINE player.

You already have FTE, we're not trying to get it taken away from you. You have your haven.

My personal dislike for FTE affects you not one bit, and affects the devs decision not one bit either.

At the very beginning of the FTE FIRST announcement (where were you?) people said "ask Bobby", we did, he said "Meh, I'll play it". That is pretty much the opinion of many long time CREDIBLE players. And I agreed then, and agree now.

I don't like it, but it's no big deal. You've got it. Pretenders - Stop Your Sobbing!
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Fizon Augur

The literal hoops FTE enjoyers jump through to validate a crappy system...
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. Doezit Lorekeeper

I doubt that all the forum warriors crying here really even care about FTE.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  11. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

What HOOPS....

You openly want to DPS RACE...

The reason they have implemented FTE is stop DPS racing because it gives higher level characters a huge advantage....and it does so in zones they really should no longer be in.

I have no real issue in them being there or not. As a rule I think any player should be able to go to any zone they chose...if I have equal footing to compete for mobs...if they are just going to ks every mob I pull that is a problem.

It has been a problem for a very long time...

FTE gets to equal footing...

And yes there are a LOT of BAD actors across the history of EQ....a lot of people who have trained some one to get even as they perceive it or to chase someone from a area or zone. You can pretend that is not so, but the fact that the PnP was setup as it was....the fact they have finally code to FTE, seems to align with what I am saying...

If was not such a problem they would not have addressed it.,

And yes this whole they ran in and took the assassin from us PROVES my point. the ones so adamantly against FTE want the wild wild west DPS race approach that was so toxic.

/pick zones....AOC's & FTE are why I came back...loved the game hated the way it was when there were no pick zone and a server full of players all wanted to be in Velks. And raiding meant fighting with other guild for rights to a target.

Some people like it...GOT IT...I did not...and neither did DBG or SOE or Verant...it was a headache for them
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

At the times I play there weren't a lot of players around full stop. Being Euro does have it's advantages. Not having to deal with the yanks that think they are know it all for one.

Hitting RM with 5 to 10 players in it, the same with OOT. We could get around an hour in before others started waking up. Always found players far more willing to share spawns in the early hours of the morning, even buffing us up for kills. Not all players are selfish idiots.

I am a strong believer in what goes around comes around.

As for my comment on the plat dupe I wasn't being disingenuous I was being facetious. I wasn't wrong the plat dupe was on ALL SERVERS, but people keep throwing up different reasons for Oakwynd players leaving, I thought I'd have a bit of fun. You disapointed me and didn't metion it was also down to the AAs not having bonus exp the week before.
  13. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

YES I play on Oakwynd, server was destroyed...I am still there piling up krono for a the new server in May.

I made 140k last night on leather padding. That is the state of the economy on Oakwynd.

A server less than a year old and krono is north of 800k, I have a 250 tailor 233 blacksmith 240 brewer and my enchanter is a 233 researcher.

I was considered RICH by EQ standards by the time Luclin arrived and exploit hit.

Luckily I was online when I saw krono jump to 500k from 65k within an hour it was over 1M per krono, I had both my trader and buyer down on purpose (seen this too many times) and then the next morning heard the people who got wiped out the night before...and they had a good reason to be pissed.

So yes I want future servers to be FTE....before this thread I did not care about servers I do not play on....this thread is changing my mind....LMAO

I had near 5000 spiderling silks that went from 10p each to 500p each...Glad I took my trader down for this reason. And there are many other examples...but we all know how it goes when an exploit hits.
  14. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

The over all population issue on oakwynd was a lot more about the Legacy XP issue and AA...OAkwynd lost a LOT of players before they fixed it...and it took them a while to fix it.

So at least you do realize that a exploit is worse on the newest server....and this one was particularly bad because of how long it remain unfixed, they immediately placed a cap on items in a depot fairly quick but it was still a high cap.

I having played from the earliest days and a heavy player through 2007 then a higher than casual until 2012 when Fippy started to really drop in population. But I get people like the DPS race environment and not all like it just because they are pricks....lol A lot of people like to compete against other guilds...

To me it tended to bring out the worst in players...but I get the allure just from a /flexing stand point you tried to take our mob and we fought you and won...

I came back BECAUSE of FTE...would not be here posting if not for it.

I think it is more well received than people hating it but that is my opinion only...but I have heard people who were surprised at how well it worked after about the first month there were a couple of early issues...no one wants a mob hitting them that they can not hit back and it did happen early on but was fixed. /yell also fixed many other early problems. Do not know if /yell was there day one or an early fix to be honest but it is necessary.

Oakwynd had a solid population prior to Luclin...I have no clue how many players were on Mischief....bu Oakwynd was near the same population at launch as Fippy was.

DBG can do away with FTE all together...I do not think they will JChann seems to be very happy with it.

If there is not a FTE option in May I will not renew my 12 month subscriptions on three accounts.

I certainly will not cry...either way...lol
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Oh you want to go that route do you.

I started playing January 2001 and have had a continuous subscription ever since. Currently 2 lifetime accounts, 3 subbed. The other half has an account also.I think I have 2 FTP accounts also, I don't remember, I haven't looked at them for years.

I group and play 1 account at a time, sometimes I will 2/3 box, rarely I will 5 box.

As I have said before FTE for me is 1 step too far from the original game, while there are other things I do not like I can avoid them so they do not effect me, FTE cannot be avoided unless I want to sit in POK and tradeskill all day.....I have days I do that anyway. I also have days when I log in and chat and don't do anything.

Currently I play on AB and Vaniki. Mischief went by the wayside for me due to working away from home with no internet and dropping behind. So I am really looking forward to getting back to that ruleset. Tried and tested FTE on test prior to Oakwynd launching and hated it, I'm stubborn so it is going to take a lot to change my mind that FTE is a good thing.

EQ is a very social game, there is a lot of mutual respect among long term players. I can't remember the last time I was trained or someone tried to kill a mob I had engaged, certainly not on the last 3 TLP servers I've played on. Which leads me to the conclussion FTE is not needed.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Mischief was still having queues a few weeks after launch and when there was bonus exp. Thorneblad was launched at the time with the same ruleset as Mischief. The ruleset was more popular than Oakwynd and I think it probably still is.

I see FTE as Marmite you either love it or hate it. I'd like to see a server with and a server without FTE, something for everyone.

Mischief ruleset would still worth a look, the player base spreads out a lot, rather than just crammed into Guk and Unrest. It is my favourite after Vaniki, Vaniki is just crazy fun.
  17. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

I started at launch in 1999 we were standing in a line of 4 or 5 players in commonlands to kill an orc....it was beyond crowded. I left and came back around christmas 1999 so I consider my tenure really started in 2000.

I was playing EQ the morning the planes flew into the trade center...

And again I get why you do not care for FTE...My roommate back in the day would have loved it and his brother (who did not live with us but also played EQ) would have hated it....lol

It was however needed or DBG would never have spent time on it...I was never a guide but my roomate was for 2 years. I can promise you early on the rule was First to Engage....enforcement was weak and everyone knew it but that was clearly the policy they wanted enforced.

The reason it was done was not because they wanted to please me and bring me back.....lol

The reason for FTE was the CS nightmare servers have always been particularly early on.

The powers that be do not say a lot DBG is even more tight lipped than SoE was. But JChann has said it was a huge success.
  18. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

A friend of mine from the old days on Innoruuk called me in early spring 2023 and told me that there was going to be a new server and they were going to add some mechanism to enforce first to engage.

My expectation was low but I signed up for one month on one account...after a week I subbed my alt account so I could have my enchanter leveling with my druid and subbed both for 12 month. When luclin launched I added the third account for a dedicated bazaar mule...again for 12 months....then immediately saw near 50 people in my guild just quit logging in. most had lots of alts and they were not happy...a week later the tradeskill depot hits...I literally kind of quit playing I got near 100AA on each toon and now I mess around in Kael or Luclin zones only got a PoJ trial never even bothered with BoT access as I knew I was not staying.

I have a large supply of krono now, and I am still making plat hand over fist...I probably have around 15-16 million across my three accounts. and bought three more krono the other night following patch for 750K each not enough buyers on early on so I got lucky. And I did seriously make 140k last night selling leather padding...it is why I have no more interest in the server...I never cared about the Legacy AA issue myself. I am more of a tradeskill person than an ALT person.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Thanks for reminding us the whiners about KSing got FTE.

And they'll keep using it, but you're still crying about it, just to players instead of CS?

Mission accomplished.

I hope they give you much FTE, so we can stop hearing about it.
  20. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

I was not the whiner...they did FTE and I had not played since 2012..only reason I knew about it was a friend called me early last year about it....

So I never cried to CS...I am not crying to players...I did call out these who openly admitted they were mad because they could no longer KS...And it appears I was pretty spot on....LMAO

In fact in all my years I have filed one petition and it had nothing to do with another player I by mistake sold my Jade Reaver to a vendor...bought a reclamation token and could not use it for the Reaver as it was not in my list ....they gave me back my Jade Reaver...I knew player disputes were not going to be resolve had many guild mates over the years tell their horror stories on player conflicts and how it got handled and had a roomate that was a guide (not a GM) for a couple years in early 2000's.

I did stop playing after Fippy which had a more toxic crowd than Combine had by 10x.

Fippy was most toxic server I was ever on....Oakwynd has been the least toxic by far.