Group Assist

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Xanbar, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Xanbar Augur

In modern EQ what is the recommended way of setting Main Tank and all of group auto assisting? Is the group leader the only character that gets the context menu for setting MA and puller and so on? As a group member didn't see those options in group window. I tried in game help grouping section but found nothing there on assist and nothing called assist in table on contents. Found an assist thread from like 11 years ago on these forums but it was closed to further replies.
  2. Brickhaus Augur

Yes, group leader is the only person who can change group designations.

If the group is your own or consistent (~95+% unchanging MT), I'd just set /assist <tankname> in your macros. Don't try to be cute with it.

Since that's what my situation is, I don't have any recommendations for best practice when MT will be variable. But I'm sure someone else will respond.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Only group leader can set the roles.

Main Tank is usually a warrior, paladin, or shadow knight but can be something else, too, or a merc.

Main Assist should be someone who doesn't need to change targets often so not always the tank. The main assist should be ready to switch to a new target quickly when the current dies.

Puller is the one that goes out and gets stuff. It's best if the puller has some ability to "split" groups like Lull spells or feign death. The puller should use something very low agro to get the attention of the target so it can be handed off easily to the tank. As a bard, I usually use my debuff song to 'tag' a pull. Then I run past the tank so the tank can taunt and smack the target and pull it off me. If the tank is slow or the mob is determined to kill the puller, the puller will take a hit or two. The puller might also take the first damaging spell or stun or whatever. It's better that hits the puller than the tank 'cause the tank going down early is bad for the whole group. While pulling, I will sometimes wait a beat or two before I re-engage that which I pulled so the tank can have better established agro.

The Extended Target Window has options to set the slots to roles or targets of roles so you can use that for easier targeting. I have my top spot for "target of group assist" so I know what the group is concentrating on. My "assist key" as "/xtar 1" then "/attack on" which switches my target to the main assist's target and then melee.

When you have a mezzer in the group (enchanter or bard in a pinch) that's doing crowd control, it is very important for anyone doing damage to only hit the assist's target so the rest will remain in their slumber.

Merc tend to work better if you have at least a main assist set when your group (with mercs) is more than 3.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

For groups, the group leader sets the Main Assist.

I made a hotkey with the line: /assist group

I then bound that key to my mousewheel click and the attack hotkey to the mouse page forward button.